PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
How similar is Hansom to Cabbies?
Not similar at all, to me. Like the difference between Orlik Golden Slices and Dunhill (Peterson) Dark Flake. Although admittedly, there are more similarities than differences between two Virginia based blends...so, it’s up to the nuance-sensitivities of the smoker, to a good extent.

Reactions: BROBS and smokeyweb

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Received my tins today and they were in good condition and appeared sealed, so into the cellar they will go. Too many other blends currently in rotation. Does anybody know, does superglue develop plume?
You may have more experience than me, so this is just a warning from my experience: Wrap the tins in plastic wrap and tape them, or find some other way to ensure that they are sealed outside of the tins, as Gawith tins in my cellar (no older than five years and stored in a cool, dry cabinet) have lost their seal and the tobacco inside has dried out.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
You may have more experience than me, so this is just a warning from my experience: Wrap the tins in plastic wrap and tape them, or find some other way to ensure that they are sealed outside of the tins, as Gawith tins in my cellar (no older than five years and stored in a cool, dry cabinet) have lost their seal and the tobacco inside has dried out.
Copy. Thank you!

Reactions: lightmybriar

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I trust zero of the Gawith packaging ?
Can Mylar bags be purchased physically in a store anywhere? I probably should get a vacuum sealer.
I trust zero packaging by anybody.

I use 5 mil gen 2 bags that seal in a regular foodsaver vacuum sealer. They've also capable of being vacuumed as well but I don't do it with tins. I do drop in an oxygen absorber but this is probably unnecessary. I can no longer smell any tobacco aromas since I started doing this

Reactions: rushx9

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Foodsaver machines won't seal the thicker 7 mil bags. If you're trying to vacuum them most mylar bags aren't textured which prevents air from being channelled out.
Yeah, mine aren't textured, so they won't suck!

These are the mylar bags I purchased 5.25mil and they don't work well with the food saver. They do have ziplock tech so that's not too bad and can be heat sealed with a hot iron.

Reactions: dcon

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
So, I was preparing to put my Hansom flake tins in the cellar when all of a sudden one of the tin lids just fell off, so, I opened them all and jarred them. About half of them had an intact seal... and the other half were just glued on haha. WTF! Buyer beware... these new tins are NOT for long term storage. Haven’t smoked any of this yet, but holy crap it smells like it should be named chocolate flake. Pure cocoa smell as mentioned above. The leaf looks like typical SG quality, but I sure as shit hope I didn’t just order 10 tins of a chocolate aromatic!!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.