PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I just got this in the mail today and wanted to give folks a few of my first impressions of this blend. Since it is limited and may not be around long, I wanted to let potential buyers to know what to expect.
The tin was unusual in two respects that I had not observed with SG before. First, there was glue applied in each of the 4 corners of the tin. Second, There was a cardboard insert above the regular wrapping of the tobacco with an SG label and two finger(?) holes.
The flakes are a medium brown and are folded in the tin. Length and cut is similar to some GH flakes.
The next surprise, the tin note was a definitive cocoa. I had my wife do a blind sniff and she reached the same conclusion.
The moisture seemed smokeable but, my experience with SG told me to dry it out a little. After drying, the cocoa scent disappeared or deeply dissipated. The smell was replaced with that ‘barnyard” smell of pure Perique. I prepared this in a large cube/ small ribbon cut and rubbed a little more out. The tobacco took to the flame in an excellent manner and I only needed some relights toward the end of the bowl. This tobacco started turning to white ash from the start and burned as cleanly as anything that I have ever smoked
So, is everyone wanting to know what it tastes like? It is a potent VaPer along the lines of Bayou Morning Flake. The Perique is heavy in this one. I happen to like the stuff so, that is/was not a concern. The P&C description says that there is an ample amount of Perique and that it would add to the “sweetness” rather than spice. I’m not so sure about that. There was plenty of spice for those who like their VaPers on the peppery side. There is supposed to be an added top note that, I for one, believed would be the Lakeland essence. Lakeland may be remotely noticeable on the retrohale but, this is not a heavy Lakeland infused flake.

My initial conclusion: it is a nice flake for those that like the Per in their VaPers. This is probably not for a newbie or those faint of heart. It is pretty tasty. I would recommend it for seasoned smokers that want it stout. I may have to get some more.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
like outside of the sealed tin on the corners? interesting. did you get only one tin? where they all like that if you got more?

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.