PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
I just got this in the mail today and wanted to give folks a few of my first impressions of this blend. Since it is limited and may not be around long, I wanted to let potential buyers to know what to expect.
The tin was unusual in two respects that I had not observed with SG before. First, there was glue applied in each of the 4 corners of the tin. Second, There was a cardboard insert above the regular wrapping of the tobacco with an SG label and two finger(?) holes.
The flakes are a medium brown and are folded in the tin. Length and cut is similar to some GH flakes.
The next surprise, the tin note was a definitive cocoa. I had my wife do a blind sniff and she reached the same conclusion.
The moisture seemed smokeable but, my experience with SG told me to dry it out a little. After drying, the cocoa scent disappeared or deeply dissipated. The smell was replaced with that ‘barnyard” smell of pure Perique. I prepared this in a large cube/ small ribbon cut and rubbed a little more out. The tobacco took to the flame in an excellent manner and I only needed some relights toward the end of the bowl. This tobacco started turning to white ash from the start and burned as cleanly as anything that I have ever smoked
So, is everyone wanting to know what it tastes like? It is a potent VaPer along the lines of Bayou Morning Flake. The Perique is heavy in this one. I happen to like the stuff so, that is/was not a concern. The P&C description says that there is an ample amount of Perique and that it would add to the “sweetness” rather than spice. I’m not so sure about that. There was plenty of spice for those who like their VaPers on the peppery side. There is supposed to be an added top note that, I for one, believed would be the Lakeland essence. Lakeland may be remotely noticeable on the retrohale but, this is not a heavy Lakeland infused flake.

My initial conclusion: it is a nice flake for those that like the Per in their VaPers. This is probably not for a newbie or those faint of heart. It is pretty tasty. I would recommend it for seasoned smokers that want it stout. I may have to get some more.

I wonder how similar it is to the Gawith Reunion Perique Flake No. 27 they released last year?
Perhaps if someone tries both they could comment. Either way it sounds tasty, I'm all out of cash at the moment but it would have been academic anyway as P&C don't deliver to the UK for some reason.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just got mine, 10 tins. Not wrapped in bubble wrap so all 10 were banging around in the box :(
The date code is 285 so that puts them being tinned up in August/2019.

Have a contractor showing up in 15 minutes so may not get to pop one open until tomorrow morning..

Reactions: philobeddoe

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I ordered 2 tins bc I've found that I like some Lakeland essence and thought I'd try it. But 10 tins of a tobacco you've never tried??

I started to develop TAD and fear of missing out, but I'm actively trying to change that. If I like something and it becomes difficult or impossible to obtain, who cares. As others have pointed out there is plenty of good tobacco out there. I had a great smoke yesterday with some inexpensive Sutilff Walnut match,

It's just tobacco.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just one bowl but I like it. It is a pretty strong VaPer, which I love myself. I smoke a lot of Exclusive. As I mentioned in another thread these come tinned with an August/2019 date so 6 months on them. Some Lakeland did show up midway down and for me, it was a faint baby powder smell lol. Pretty nice and maybe I will smell better. Zero bite. Lots of white ash, lots of smoke. Should age great. These new tins though, while temporary according to Gawith are completely loose once opened. The older tins snapped on, these do not so you will need to jar soon, usually a SG blend I can leave in the tin a long time being moist. Not the case here. I was able to get a 15% off coupon on this order for at $8 a tin I am pleased thus far. Looking forward to hearing what others experiences are!

Oct 7, 2016
Two of the tins were so badly crushed I don’t trust them. So I’m jarring two tins right off the bat.
Thanks p&c for throwing these 4 tins loosely in a huge box. ?

View attachment 19460
View attachment 19462
They have a personal vendetta going on with you. My 9 arrived today, in spite of sticking with free shipping which didn’t even get out the door up there until Tuesday and the extra day added by the UPS/USPS transfer. Box was appropriately sized, the tape wasn’t coming off, and the tins inside were protected by air pillows which hadn’t punctured (which is amazing in itself).

Last edited:
Reactions: artvandelay007

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There were air pillows but the tins had no wrapping so they bounced on each other and these particular tins are pretty thin. It’s like they only have 3 sizes of box.

• Sad
Reactions: smokeyweb
Status
Not open for further replies.