PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Just finished my 3rd and final bowl, and I would put the Nic level at around the same as SJF, just shy of medium, but everyone’s chemistry seems to vary. Peterson’s 3P for example I find to be VERY STRONG, and one bowl on an empty stomach gives me the spins!

Reactions: BROBS

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I definitely overbought on this one, but I will smoke a few tins of it and let the rest age for a bit. My last bowl I microwaved the flakes for 40 seconds, which seemed to bring out the tang of the Virginia’s and mute the Lakeland taste. Made it much more enjoyable to me.

Jun 23, 2019
Since this is the thread that started all this trouble...

Finally got to sample some Hansom yesterday and having another bowl right now as I'm browsing the site and trying to hold back from IPSD PAD.

After all that's been said about P&C, I would just like to provide some balance: I placed my order on the 14th and got an email saying my package has shipped on the 17th. And then unexpectedly, I got my package on the 18th.

However, expectedly, the tins were NOT properly packaged. This is so bizarre to me. How much can 2 more feet of bubble wrap cost? My 3 tins of Panna Cotta were fine, the tin of Chelsea morning was fine, but 2/10 tins of the Hansom Flake I can open with just my hands, despite the hot glue! Smoking one, jarred one; so it's not *that* big a problem, but still, it baffles me why they simply refuse to pack their my sh*t properly?

Taste-wise the Hansom Flake is interesting. There's a tin not I can't quite place, it's cocoa-ish but not quite, maybe a little tonquin bean-y? Definitely on the lighter side of Lakelands (which I prefer) and very similar in Va/Per structure as St Jame's Flake.

I'll probably be cellaring 5 of the tins to see how they age. Probably will be doing it in jars though as I have no faith in their glue-gunned square tins.

QBRDg7Sl.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I find it odd that mine were well sealed and had zero glue.. but still appear to be the same shitty/thin tin?
Maybe they had a batch of them that wouldn't seal properly so they used the glue?
...because it's certainly not on every tin.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
SpookedPiper was kind and generous enough to send me a tin to try. I popped the tin and got the chocolate/cocoa aroma with a hint of caramel. Put a bit in a napkin to dry, will smoke it in a couple of hours and write down my thoughts here. Kind of strange SG flake, it isn't sopping wet, not even close.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Some of my tins were rather dry when I opened them, some were typical SG moist. Had to jar all of them because it was hard to tell which ones were actually sealed and which ones were glued down. I hope SG gets this tin debacle figured out quick because those glued tins would have turned to zombie dust if not jarred upon receiving them. I much prefer leaving my sealed tins intact... but no can do with this recent batch!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I smoked my first bowl about an hour ago. Odd how the tin note had zero correlation to the flavors. Chocolate/cocoa tin note which I didn't detect at all in the flavors. I got quite a floral note out of this, particularly in the first half of the bowl. Wasn't unpleasant but wasn't great either. I suppose if you like Lakeland, you would enjoy it. I didn't get much in the way of sweet Va flavors coming to the front at all.

I need to smoke some more of this to get to know the tobacco better but I found this first bowl to be mediocre. Not bad to where I would never smoke it again but based upon the first bowl, I'd never buy it again.

I want to leave it open a few days to a week to breathe a bit and try it again.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I smoked my first bowl about an hour ago. Odd how the tin note had zero correlation to the flavors. Chocolate/cocoa tin note which I didn't detect at all in the flavors. I got quite a floral note out of this, particularly in the first half of the bowl. Wasn't unpleasant but wasn't great either. I suppose if you like Lakeland, you would enjoy it. I didn't get much in the way of sweet Va flavors coming to the front at all.

I need to smoke some more of this to get to know the tobacco better but I found this first bowl to be mediocre. Not bad to where I would never smoke it again but based upon the first bowl, I'd never buy it again.

I want to leave it open a few days to a week to breathe a bit and try it again.
I pretty much had the same experience besides feeling like I tasted the Lakeland later in the bowl rather than earlier.
I fully expected some type of chocolatey flavor from it.

for my tastes I wouldn't buy more.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
First impression it smooth, mild and fairly boring. Perhaps age will improve this one

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I smoked my second bowl yesterday evening. I didn’t leave it sit out to dry as long as the last one, only an hour or so. I must have grabbed some that had an over abundance of the Perique in it.

Sharp Perique flavor for most of the bowl, mellowed a bit in the last 1/4.

My loading and smoking may have had something to do with it... I just took the contents of the tin and placed them in a small bail jar. Lightly shred and load a bowl as I go. So I suppose if I shred it all and mix it well that could mitigate that aforementioned issue.

A day or two ago I smoked WCC Old Dominion , as I hadn’t smoked it in a while, and I wanted to compare the two. OD has Cavendish which gives it an overall sweeter note, fuller bottom end. More Perique in OD, but it’s not as sharp as the Perique in the Hansom.

I’ll probably try some tomorrow with a short dry time and see what I think. After that I’ll relegate my stash to the cellar for along rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.