PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
POP GOES THE HANSOM FLAKE!

After all this talk i noticed that several tins were squished and then suddenly one was perfect?! Perfect....that's odd I thought to myself..the lid came off with no effort and it had glue in the 4 corners...:eek: I wasn't planning on opening any new tins at the moment but thanks to SG, I will have to jar it. The remaining two tins have been placed in mylar bags and heat sealed in the, more likely than not, eventuality that they will POP as well.

However the aroma out of the tin was very chocolaty and that's as far as I have gotten to this point. It looks good with mild moisture so that's a plus!

Reactions: dcon and BROBS

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
POP GOES THE HANSOM FLAKE!

After all this talk i noticed that several tins were squished and then suddenly one was perfect?! Perfect....that's odd I thought to myself..the lid came off with no effort and it had glue in the 4 corners...:eek: I wasn't planning on opening any new tins at the moment but thanks to SG, I will have to jar it. The remaining two tins have been placed in mylar bags and heat sealed in the, more likely than not, eventuality that they will POP as well.

However the aroma out of the tin was very chocolaty and that's as far as I have gotten to this point. It looks good with mild moisture so that's a plus!
Yeah these new tins SUCK!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Tins suck, but digging the flavors and the nic levels! It just sucks that the tins aren't trust worthy. This has me a bit worried about the other Sam Gawith in the cellar.....might have to bag'em and tag'em...

Reactions: dcon and smokeyweb

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I smoked 3 bowls of Hansom Flake today. I sealed a bunch of tins in Mylar, jarred one tin in a small bale jar several weeks ago.

The 5 or so weeks of rest have improved the flavor. Ripe Red Virginias, and the Perique somewhat more mellow and plum tasting, with a little sharpness to it. I’m a little more impressed with this blend now than when I first tried it. This will age very well...

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I smoked one bowl on receipt several weeks ago and did not really enjoy it. Probably my mood or some other BS because I tried another bowl a couple nights ago and it was very satisfying. I won't wait so long for the next bowl.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I bought 10 tins and have smoked through 2. This one definitely improves with some time in the jar. Smoked fresh, it had a flowery Lakeland taste that I did not enjoy. Drying these out seems to evaporate most of that flowery taste and leaves you with a quality VaPer.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I smoked one bowl on receipt several weeks ago and did not really enjoy it. Probably my mood or some other BS because I tried another bowl a couple nights ago and it was very satisfying. I won't wait so long for the next bowl.
I need to try it again. I had the same experience right away.

Reactions: dcon and 3rdguy

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Went back to this today as well..
Coca is very evident in my tin nite and the smoke. The Lakeland essence is still there but lessens since opening the tin.

I wonder if the tins still sitting at P&C have had leakage and drying through the less than efficient seals? As I sit here pondering if I should grab a few more tins....

Still pretty good blend to me...

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I returned to this today. It is a little over 2 months since I did the original posting. I no longer detected the cocoa in the jar. The smoke, as before, did not have a cocoa taste. It has settled down nicely. I no longer tasted any Lakeland (which I do like). It actually tastes very similar, at this point, to Cabbies. It is a bit of a stronger VaPer. I guess I will have to get a bit more for the cellar.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I returned to this today. It is a little over 2 months since I did the original posting. I no longer detected the cocoa in the jar. The smoke, as before, did not have a cocoa taste. It has settled down nicely. I no longer tasted any Lakeland (which I do like). It actually tastes very similar, at this point, to Cabbies. It is a bit of a stronger VaPer. I guess I will have to get a bit more for the cellar.
Cabbies!!! Say it isn't so....I definitely didn't get cabbies from it but sure glad you did! It's much easier to find than cabbies that's for sure! I am not sure why some don't have the cocoa smell and can only think that it has to do with tin closure.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Cabbies!!! Say it isn't so....I definitely didn't get cabbies from it but sure glad you did! It's much easier to find than cabbies that's for sure! I am not sure why some don't have the cocoa smell and can only think that it has to do with tin closure.
Mine had the cocoa smell (strong) on first opening. It, also, was not a particularly special or endearing initial smoke. Thus, the jarring. I was quite surprised today and the jar time seemed to reap a Cabbies similarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.