PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I could deal with this, if we had a few good sized shops carrying quite a bit out here.

@Akoni808 see what you can find on Oahu, and please post it here, I’ve only seen Tobaccos of Hawaii on Oahu. Thanks...
Yeah if Washington were to also ban online cigar sales it wouldn't really affect me because unless I wanted to make a box purchase. Still I'd vehemently oppose such a ban because not everybody has the luxury of living near good cigar shops and every anti smoking law that gets passed sets precedent for more and worse laws.

Reactions: AroEnglish

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yeah if Washington were to also ban online cigar sales it wouldn't really affect me because unless I wanted to make a box purchase. Still I'd vehemently oppose such a ban because not everybody has the luxury of living near good cigar shops and every anti smoking law that gets passed sets precedent for more and worse laws.

Well, looks like Precedence is already on the way.

If this passes, now tobacco is starting to become illegal.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In the world we despise Prejudice and Racism, yet, based on when you are born, now you are either allowed to do something or not be allowed.

Talk about extreme contradictions...

I’m sure the rationale is that; ‘We have to start somewhere’.

• Haha
Reactions: Akoni808

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
On a side note: I originally posted this not to talk bad about our government. While I am very sad about the bill, I still intend to obey the laws in place.
I was more looking for solutions and advice that don’t break the laws, which @Ahi Ka has been very insightful on.

Completely understood and agreed; however, the same Government who instituted these new 'Save the Keiki' Tobacco measures, also immediately supplied the "Ready $olution"... Simply bend-over and pay the the newly offered "License Fee" to The Man with his hand in your tobacco jar.

You won't be breaking any laws, and, all without having to look for a solution - as the Problem and the Solution were provided by the same group at the same time - talk about Government Efficiency! - And, who coincidentally just happen to be on the receiving end of those newly invented Retail Tobacco License Regulations and Fees.

No, no, no need to "talk bad about about the Government", just talk Factually and Logically, any 'bad' will speak for itself.

Oh, and... don't forget to "Save the Keiki" - whom I never once saw smoking pipe tobacco nor a tobacco pipe the entire time I lived in Hawaii; and, doubt I will ever see a yearly list of the actual names of any 'Keiki' who were "protected" by the institution of these licence fees on Retailers - but, you can be sure there will be a yearly list of Retailers who need to "Pay Up" every year.

- Sherm - Calls 'em Like he sees 'em - Natman

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm sure it has a lot to do with the rising cost of medical care from tobacco-related illnesses, such as lung cancer, heart disease and respiratory ailments, which increases the States' monetary contribution towards Medicaid without a tax offset where tobacco is purchased out of state. While cigarettes are the main culprit, the state legislators in their infinite wisdom apparently do not discern the difference between cigarette smoke which is inhaled and smoke from products such as pipe tobacco and cigars which is normally not inhaled. Just my two cents.

In the first place I don't believe economics has anything to do with this; it’s driven by the classic government view that politicians know what’s best for you and have a Divine right to cram it down your throat…perhaps abetted by the Puritan fear that someone somewhere might be having fun.

In the second place at the very least the economic argument is debatable if not outright wrong. Credible studies suggest that near term healthcare savings from a cessation of smoking are more than offset by incremental costs from longer lifespans. Here’s a typical analysis:

IMG_9618.jpeg

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Well, looks like Precedence is already on the way.

If this passes, now tobacco is starting to become illegal.
And as I mentioned, NZ already passed such legislation. That's what's so scary about all this overreach, a bullshit bill anywhere threatens smokers and tobacconists everywhere because if it passes then other places follow suit and eventually pass even more tyrannical laws. People who brush off such bills passing with "this won't affect me" are clueless.
In the world we despise Prejudice and Racism, yet, based on when you are born, now you are either allowed to do something or not be allowed.

Talk about extreme contradictions...

I’m sure the rationale is that; ‘We have to start somewhere’.
"May I see your ID? Alright, says here you were born on December 31st 2002, enjoy your cigars! Next customer, alright, let me see your ID. I can't sell you this, you were born on January 1st 2003! Get out of here and don't come back or I'll call your parents!"

Reactions: PipeIT

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Completely understood and agreed; however, the same Government who instituted these new 'Save the Keiki' Tobacco measures, also immediately supplied the "Ready $olution"... Simply bend-over and pay the the newly offered "License Fee" to The Man with his hand in your tobacco jar.

You won't be breaking any laws, and, all without having to look for a solution - as the Problem and the Solution were provided by the same group at the same time - talk about Government Efficiency! - And, who coincidentally just happen to be on the receiving end of those newly invented Retail Tobacco License Regulations and Fees.

No, no, no need to "talk bad about about the Government", just talk Factually and Logically, any 'bad' will speak for itself.

Oh, and... don't forget to "Save the Keiki" - whom I never once saw smoking pipe tobacco nor a tobacco pipe the entire time I lived in Hawaii; and, doubt I will ever see a yearly list of the actual names of any 'Keiki' who were "protected" by the institution of these licence fees on Retailers - but, you can be sure there will be a yearly list of Retailers who need to "Pay Up" every year.

- Sherm - Calls 'em Like he sees 'em - Natman
And even if there's an option for out of state vendors to ship to Hawaii I doubt many will because the cost of the license will probably cost more than the sales they get from Hawaii.
In the first place I don't believe economics has anything to do with this; it’s driven by the classic government view that politicians know what’s best for you and have a Divine right to cram it down your throat…perhaps abetted by the Puritan fear that someone somewhere might be having fun.

In the second place at the very least the economic argument is debatable if not outright wrong. Credible studies suggest that near term healthcare savings from a cessation of smoking are more than offset by incremental costs from longer lifespans. Here’s a typical analysis:

View attachment 229720
It's absolutely driven by the desire of bureucrat losers wanting to save plebians from their own pleasures. I've never heard that cessation services would eventually increase healthcare costs, but if so even that will be dwarfed by the cost of enforcement. Do these clowns really think it's worth having cops arrest kids for the crime of smoking while being born after 2002? And prosecuting them and whoever supplied them? I'm sure meth is illegal everywhere in Hawaii but that hasn't deterred any tweakers.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I seriously cannot believe the police out here, would even want to waste their time on this.

Small amounts of cannabis are misdemeanors now out here, and I know someone that was pulled over driving and wasn’t even arrested because they only had a very small amount on them.

I mean seriously cannabis out here isn’t even that big of deal, if you have an extremely small amount on you for recreational usage.

SB669 is in the works now for recreational legalization.

Now it says; Takes effect 03/22/2075 yeah right, I wouldn’t be at all surprised it’s legal in the next 2-5 years.

Yeah, so cannabis will be legal, but you cannot smoke a cigarette, cigar, pipe, anything.

Serious BS! 😠

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It's like their government doesn't have a shred of common sense, their climate is perfect for cigar smoking and the cigar crowd is a great tourist draw
Since you were talking cigars here, did you see in the other Hawaii post Kauai Cigar Company?

Grown and made on Kauai, cigars have had history in Hawaii.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
None of this sort of thing is actually about tobacco at all.

It's about those humans who are hardwired to express control and power over others having found a set of circumstances where they can do that. A set of circumstances which happens to be called "tobacco".

Wave a magic wand that removes all thoughts of anything related to tobacco from their heads forevermore, and they would simply swarm to another issue. Wave again, and they'd go after still another.

Endlessly.

It's as deeply encoded in them as sex drive.

Reactions: brian64

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
None of this sort of thing is actually about tobacco at all.

It's about those humans who are hardwired to express control and power over others having found a set of circumstances where they can do that. A set of circumstances which happens to be called "tobacco".

Wave a magic wand that removes all thoughts of anything related to tobacco from their heads forevermore, and they would simply swarm to another issue. Wave again, and they'd go after still another.

Endlessly.

It's as deeply encoded in them as sex drive.
If you're not in power you're nothing, can't fly on private planes, live in mansions, you can't look down on the peons while you insider trade on companies you are about to award billion dollar contracts to, why would they ever want to give it up, they don't, they won't. Look at these decrepit of hags that in their 80s that refuse to step down, there is no other reason is they can't deal with just being a person albeit a very rich well protected one. I think i've push it enough but i have some great comments that will most likely make some nod, some fume and me get the heave ho... and not the good kind of ho.

Reactions: Cubatogo

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Looks like the cigar crowd is giving some backlash!

Cigar smoking is definitely big out here, and I was wondering when we would hear the cigar crowd speak up.