Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When I did a search online, I only see two tobacco shops out here.

Tobaccos of Hawaii

And one called Cigar-Cigar.

Of course, in liquor stores and some general stores, you always run into cigars...

For as long as I’ve been here, 1991, Hawaii has never been a tobacco place.

So I am extremely pissed off over this situation. 😡

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Shipping bans are bad everywhere but for Hawai'i that's absolutely outrageous. They don't have the option of driving to town across the state line to set up a private PO box to get shipments and I can't imagine there's many pipe tobacconists in the state

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
When I did a search online, I only see two tobacco shops out here.

Tobaccos of Hawaii

And one called Cigar-Cigar.

Of course, in liquor stores and some general stores, you always run into cigars...

For as long as I’ve been here, 1991, Hawaii has never been a tobacco place.

So I am extremely pissed off over this situation. 😡
It's like their government doesn't have a shred of common sense, their climate is perfect for cigar smoking and the cigar crowd is a great tourist draw

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It's like their government doesn't have a shred of common sense, their climate is perfect for cigar smoking and the cigar crowd is a great tourist draw

I could deal with this, if we had a few good sized shops carrying quite a bit out here.

@Akoni808 see what you can find on Oahu, and please post it here, I’ve only seen Tobaccos of Hawaii on Oahu. Thanks...

Reactions: AroEnglish

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Do the new restrictions impact pipe purchases?

Hey mate! :)

I read it differently written on pipes, can’t remember where, but here’s the write of part of the bill.

It says Tobacco Products at the top here. Pipe tobacco and pipes are mentioned...

654BE768-C46C-492C-A959-5246FA9BD468.jpeg

Last edited:

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I could deal with this, if we had a few good sized shops carrying quite a bit out here.

@Akoni808 see what you can find on Oahu, and please post it here, I’ve only seen Tobaccos of Hawaii on Oahu. Thanks...
Tobaccos of Hawaii said they are going to reevaluate what pipe tobacco to stock (I asked about C&D specifically) post-ban. They seem very open and eager to stock more options.
Right now they only Mac baren aromatics. They do carry the HH line occasionally.

Reactions: PipeIT

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Besides the politically-motivated special interest group who brought this thing about... Did a significant portion of the civil population of Hawaii ASK for this; OR, was it just foisted on the people from the powers-that-be?

You have to love the line: "... we must protect our keiki (the children) - but, of course! - from Big Tobacco..."

AND YET... if you are will to pay the extortion fees, you can acquire a Tobacco Retail License - but, of course!

Because you know, paying the Government to do a thing, somehow "magically" protects the "keiki" from Big Tobacco.

That's right folks... When you have no legitimate justification for instituting a thing no person really wants nor asked for.... Simply drag out the Imaginary Children who are imagined to be victims of this imagined evil... THEN, charge folks a Licence Fee to keep doing the evil thing you say you want to stop to "Save the Keiki"..... while your cash register rings in new profits.

Institutionalized Corruption and Exploitation at it's most transparent here folks....

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
On a side note: I originally posted this not to talk bad about our government. While I am very sad about the bill, I still intend to obey the laws in place.
I was more looking for solutions and advice that don’t break the laws, which @Ahi Ka has been very insightful on.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I just visited tobaccos of Hawaii about twenty minutes ago... The gentleman at the counter was quite nice. I will say that their pictures and description on the site of may different types of tobacco and "hundreds of pipes to choose from" must be from a time long past. They had two MM Ozark pipes, a handful of Rattrays pipes each of two models, and a small bowl of tiny briar pipes. As far as tobacco, there were a few Mac Baren tins, symphony, black ambrosia, etc all for $40.50, one tin of Petersons deluxe mixture for $30.50, and some lane half pound bulk bags for $25 each.

As it always has been in Hawaii, a little talk story go a long way and the guy let me walk out with a discount. If I lived here though it would be very hard to swallow paying almost three times the price. You local boys may need to make nice with one of these shops, but I bet you are a long way from ever having access to more than one or two of your favorite blends again. I guess if it's for the keiki though it's worth it 🤔

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The

The current one going into effect in June will not. The companion bill going into effect Jan 2024 will.
That’s crazy. They might be the first place to roll pipes into the definition and I wonder what impact that will have on a lot of markets, both online and local.

Places like eBay and Etsy currently carve out exceptions for tobacco pipes and local stores like antique shops and thrift shops have them since a license isn’t required to sell. That definition change could have unfortunate ancillary impacts for everyone.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
That’s crazy. They might be the first place to roll pipes into the definition and I wonder what impact that will have on a lot of markets, both online and local.

Places like eBay and Etsy currently carve out exceptions for tobacco pipes and local stores like antique shops and thrift shops have them since a license isn’t required to sell. That definition change could have unfortunate ancillary impacts for everyone.
Yeah, it’s hard to define a pipe regardless. If the stem is in, is it still a pipe according to definition?

Reactions: fireground_piper