PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have smoked them all and I believe Jim Inks has reviewed them on the reviews page. I thought they were OK and one was most certainly an unsliced block of University Flake. The others were on the whole not too terrible although the plug was not as dense as some Gawith offerings.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I keep looking at those, but they seem to be either aromatic plugs or heavily cased. The descriptions are really crappy at letting us know exactly what the blends are made up of.
Campsite and Vertical Limit appeal to me by description. I think the sampler would be the way to go, at $10/tin...

Or not...

I really am trying to reign in my TAD this year.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I keep looking at those, but they seem to be either aromatic plugs or heavily cased. The descriptions are really crappy at letting us know exactly what the blends are made up of.
Cosmic, i know you love C&D Burley Flake #1. What's the difference between #1 and #3? It's the same, with the only difference #3 is stronger?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
P&C has the 5 tin sampler on sale for around $50 plus an additional 17% off until midnight (code green17). Even without the sale, it's a decent price for plugs.

I tried either Deep Water or Vertical Limit. It was decent but nothing amazing.
I hope you are being paid commission on this, because I just ordered the 5-tin sampler, a tin of War Horse and a tin of Bengal Slices, just to see if they've fucked with them.

Cosmic, i know you love C&D Burley Flake #1. What's the difference between #1 and #3? It's the same, with the only difference #3 is stronger?
I found #1 to be stronger. YMMV, but #1 is more like a burley version of a VaPer, and #3 is more of a burley version of a dark fired blend... meaning that #1 is more about the play of perique with the burley, but #3 is more about the dark fired with a touch of sweetness.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I found #1 to be stronger. YMMV, but #1 is more like a burley version of a VaPer, and #3 is more of a burley version of a dark fired blend... meaning that #1 is more about the play of perique with the burley, but #3 is more about the dark fired with a touch of sweetness.
Thanks for the help. I am thinking to order C&D Burley Flake #1 or #3. That's why I'm asking.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The Cascadia plugs are all aromatic with the exception of Vertical Limit (which is the only one I really like). That one is just a straight VaBur and pretty strong too. It's not quite up there with Gawith-style Malawi leaf plugs but it's not far away either.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The OP says it's a non-aromatic and doesn't think there are any "casings." Assuming he opened a fresh, sealed, tin, it sounds like STG has changed the blend.
I just had a couple tins earlier this year and both were quite pungent. I don't think anything has changed since then... but who knows.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
@craig61a : Yes it is my friend. The company was originally called El Crappo Tobacco but C.I refused to sell anything with the word 'Crap' in the label which sort of surprised me! I came up with the name 'Standard Tobacco Company of PA Ltd' which was a tongue in cheek poke at the old Standard Oil Company. Hence the oil rig spewing tobacco leaves which was a direct take off from the vignette used on Standard Oil stock certificates in the early 1900s.
This is obscure and wonderful pipe tobacco information, thanks for sharing.
El Crappo Tobacco absolutely fucking wins. Perhaps the world’s finest tobacco company name. I would try all their products. In fact, I want the El Crappo Tobacco t-shirt.