PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
So it's not in the same category with C&D Burley Flakes, HH bold Kentucky, HH old dark fired, HH Burley flake, Irish flake etc., right? Because they are strong Burley/Kentucky blend's too.

Sort of. Imagine a nicotine bomb VaBur plug with a hell of a strong floral topping.

Original British War Horse looked like this:
iu

This is the American version:
iu

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
^ Except that the current production is a crumble cake instead of a plug. I was a tad disappointed by that at first, not being able to whittle off little shavings from a hard plug in order to have a smoke. But crumble cakes are nice in their own way.
We battled with CI for months over our demand that War Horse be made as a plug. Then the FDA deeming regs deadline loomed large, and we had to get the product on the shelves before we were closed out. That whole unpleasant process, the restrictions that the new FDA regs placed on future product development, and the intransigence of CI in general, are what prompted me to quit the business. It just wasn't fun anymore.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
We battled with CI for months over our demand that War Horse be made as a plug. Then the FDA deeming regs deadline loomed large, and we had to get the product on the shelves before we were closed out. That whole unpleasant process, the restrictions that the new FDA regs placed on future product development, and the intransigence of CI in general, are what prompted me to quit the business. It just wasn't fun anymore.
Aw, man. Sorry if I rubbed salt in a wound there. It sucks when a labor of love turns on you.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Sort of. Imagine a nicotine bomb VaBur plug with a hell of a strong floral topping.

Original British War Horse looked like this:
iu

This is the American version:
iu

I don't know why, but the war horse bar caught my eye from the first moment. Tomorrow I will have HH bold Kentucky. In the next order, I will put 3 tins of burley/Kentucky blends. Irish flake, C&D burley flakes #3 (or #1), and another one. I was thinking for war horse bar. I don't want the fragrance to cover the tobacco, and give me the impression that I'm smoking aromatic blend.

If it gives you the impression that you are smoking a strong burley/Kentucky blend (like the others above), just with some extra aroma, I have no problem.

That's why I'm asking.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Typical. An organization absolutely can’t do something. Then later goes and does just that thing.

I haven’t tried the latest version of the Warhorses but the original STG release is a genuinely unique and enjoyable tobacco.

I’d like to try the O.G. Plug but even if I never do the re-creation is great on its own.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't know why, but the war horse bar caught my eye from the first moment. Tomorrow I will have HH bold Kentucky. In the next order, I will put 3 tins of burley/Kentucky blends. Irish flake, C&D burley flakes #3 (or #1), and another one. I was thinking for war horse bar. I don't want the fragrance to cover the tobacco, and give me the impression that I'm smoking aromatic blend.

If it gives you the impression that you are smoking a strong burley/Kentucky blend (like the others above), just with some extra aroma, I have no problem.

That's why I'm asking.

Cascadia Vertical Limit is probably a better pick for you. It's similar to War Horse but without the topping.

Reactions: john19 and Ahi Ka

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Typical. An organization absolutely can’t do something. Then later goes and does just that thing.

I haven’t tried the latest version of the Warhorses but the original STG release is a genuinely unique and enjoyable tobacco.

I’d like to try the O.G. Plug but even if I never do the re-creation is great on its own.
I've never had the original either but agree the current War Horse is quite a good smoke. It's polarizing though, You're either going to love or hate that aroma. Once you open the tin your whole room will smell and there's nowhere to hide puffy

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've never had the original either but agree the current War Horse is quite a good smoke. It's polarizing though, You're either going to love or hate that aroma. Once you open the tin your whole room will smell and there's nowhere to hide puffy
The OP says it's a non-aromatic and doesn't think there are any "casings." Assuming he opened a fresh, sealed, tin, it sounds like STG has changed the blend.

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Cascadia Vertical Limit is probably a better pick for you. It's similar to War Horse but without the topping.
Thanks. Cascadia Vertical Limit seems like a good choice. In tobacco reviews it says, strength:too strong. This worries me a bit.

How about cascadia trailhead?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Thanks. Cascadia Vertical Limit seems like a good choice. In tobacco reviews it says, strength:too strong. This worries me a bit.

How about cascadia trailhead?
P&C has the 5 tin sampler on sale for around $50 plus an additional 17% off until midnight (code green17). Even without the sale, it's a decent price for plugs.

I tried either Deep Water or Vertical Limit. It was decent but nothing amazing.