PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@woodsroad : I wonder if they are following the original SToP recipe or have they messed with it? If its the original 'Taste Like Shit - Buy Some' concoction then it can also be used as a moth repellent among other uses outside of smoking!
The descriptions that I’m reading here sound nothing like the original War Horse blend that I worked on with Russ. I might have to (gulp) buy a new tin and check it out.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I see it as an aro in the Gawith sense of the term--really strong tobacco matched with an equally pungent topping. It's entirely capable of ghosting a pipe; however, If you let it dry out for a good long time before you smoke it (like a week or two in advance) the topping is much less formidable.
Ghosting is Right.

Grateful for the new knowledge of “Heliotrope”

From tobacco reviews the toppings include
Anisette, Floral Essences, Other / Misc, Tonquin Bean
I find the Tonquin to be very present, I have an old Dublin dubbed The Tonquin Warrior that smokes this and 1792 exclusively, gotta keep it separated from my other pipes so the ghost does not infect the others

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The original concoction had Heliotrope, Valerian root extract, Madera Wine, Gum Arabic and a few other things since the original batch runs of the War Horse Bar were pretty punchy. If you ask Dan or Jim Inks they know the whole saga about resurrecting this nicotine bomb. I am told original unopened tins from the Standard Tobacco Company of PA original run fetch a pretty penny these days. Dan has a bunch of the prototypes kicking around including the one that was eaten by some twit during a tasting session.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I haven’t smoked it in a while. But I do remember enjoying it.

As for it containing “Heliotrope”, that’s probably more urban legend… I don’t believe most of what I read on Tobacco Reviews or many boards for that matter.

There’s a lot of smart talk on websites, but unless you’re actually in the tobacco trade or a blender by trade, it’s usually nothing more than wild speculation.

Unless Russ Ouellette shows up and spills the beans.

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Yeah not a full fledged goopy aro for sure. But definitely well topped leaf. I just thought from my first reading of your post that it was no longer flavoured. I see that is not the case. Crisis averted
Oh no…lots of floral flavor. Smoke on

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

As for it containing “Heliotrope”, that’s probably more urban legend… I don’t believe most of what I read on Tobacco Reviews or many boards for that matter.

There’s a lot of smart talk on websites, but unless you’re actually in the tobacco trade or a blender by trade, it’s usually nothing more than wild speculation.

look at the post right above yours. Apperantly that guy was involved in this blend in some significant way.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I'm confused. This is aromatic or non-aromatic? In tobacco reviews it is referred as va/bur. But I see it has added fragrance.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'm confused. This is aromatic or non-aromatic? In tobacco reviews it is referred as va/bur. But I see it has added fragrance.
It’s a strong blend of burley, dark air cured leaf, and I want to say Kentucky fire cured too though don’t quote me on that. It has an equally strong flavouring which is closer to Brittish OTC blends (st Bruno, erinmore etc) than American or Danish aromatics

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

Russ and I developed War Horse back when Simon and I owned Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania.
We were also the company that brought back John Cotton's and Bengal Slices, blended by Russ.

Standard Tobacco Logo 1.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Russ and I developed War Horse back when Simon and I owned Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania.
We were also the company that brought back John Cotton's and Bengal Slices, blended by Russ.

View attachment 210939
OK. Well I’ve only seen mention made that it does (or did) have tonquin and some other ingredients, mentioned by Russ himself.

If it does or did contain Heliotrope, then so be it. Never even heard of the stuff.

I’ve got stuff stashed from several years ago. I haven’t smoked any for at least 3 years.

Doesn’t really matter what’s in it to me. If I like it I’ll smoke it, and buy more. Well, up until I realized that I have enough tobacco to last 50 years past my death…

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@craig61a : Yes it is my friend. The company was originally called El Crappo Tobacco but C.I refused to sell anything with the word 'Crap' in the label which sort of surprised me! I came up with the name 'Standard Tobacco Company of PA Ltd' which was a tongue in cheek poke at the old Standard Oil Company. Hence the oil rig spewing tobacco leaves which was a direct take off from the vignette used on Standard Oil stock certificates in the early 1900s.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
It’s a strong blend of burley, dark air cured leaf, and I want to say Kentucky fire cured too though don’t quote me on that. It has an equally strong flavouring which is closer to Brittish OTC blends (st Bruno, erinmore etc) than American or Danish aromatics
So it's not in the same category with C&D Burley Flakes, HH bold Kentucky, HH old dark fired, HH Burley flake, Irish flake etc., right? Because they are strong Burley/Kentucky blend's too.