PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought you will see War Horse came as a 'Bar' and also as 'Ready Cut'. I remember @woodsroad having the most amazing back and forth argument with someone who was adamant that Gallaghers never made a 'Ready Cut' version of War Horse! As you can see the old man and young boy advert lends itself to endless amusing and perverse advertising slogans and hence my 'Would You like to see my War Horse?'!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The original prototype War Horse tin that we used to obtain the trademark. Four or five were produced and sold. If any survive, I'd be amazed.

View attachment 211515

View attachment 211516
That is a great looking tin right there. If that was a proper plug, I would have been all over this release. Just turned out that this release didn’t tickle my fancy, I know I’ve given you all a hard time over it but I hope you know it was all in good fun. I always appreciated that you all undertook this project, a bold move to make in these times.

I am a big fan of the Bengal Slices you all brought back though. There was a scare some years back that it was going away so I stocked up pretty deep on it.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I have put both this and its brother on the active got-get list after hearing Russ O talk about it on a recent YouTube video. He claims that it is strong and generally Russ is fairly knowledgeable dude. Given that he concocted it from the Irish original its highly probable that it is good. And I agree the combination of Virginia/Burley/Kentucky is a stellar experience. Apparently, the Irish version had additives that were bizarre and some now considered a no-no by the powers that be. So makes sense some state that it's not the same War Horse.

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
War Horse Green, for some reason, reminds me of childhood and visiting Woolworth's with my mother in New York. Was it the same aisle as mothballs that I associate with old memories, or my Italian grandfather warming himself with anisette during a game of cards with my father? Whatever the reason, sparking up a bowl of War Horse Green is a delicious, satisfying experience great for morning and evening pipes.

Reactions: woodsroad

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
This thread was certainly an entertaining read. Now I need to add some War Horse to my next order. I have tried several of Russ Ouellette's blends and liked them all so I better get me some!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Russ and I developed War Horse back when Simon and I owned Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania.
We were also the company that brought back John Cotton's and Bengal Slices, blended by Russ.

View attachment 210939
I wish you guys would figure out how Kentucky Club Mild was made and make a copy. I miss that stuff. But War Horse is some good tobacco. I smoked the green for a while but when I got a hold of a tin of the Bar/red, well this one is terrific! I love it and it reminds me of AVANTI cigars.

• Love