PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Can’t sleep. See it’s big. Too big for lighting my pipe I think.

View attachment 14264
Curious - do you leave the "top cap" off the pipe lighter insert on purpose, or did it jump off and run away on ya? Got me thinking about the versatility of using that configuration for both pipes and cigars, and wondering about the wind-proof-ness without the top cap. (I know I can still use the pipe insert for cigars, and I can use the regular insert for pipes with the long wick method - but this just caught my eye...)

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Curious - do you leave the "top cap" off the pipe lighter insert on purpose, or did it jump off and run away on ya? Got me thinking about the versatility of using that configuration for both pipes and cigars, and wondering about the wind-proof-ness without the top cap. (I know I can still use the pipe insert for cigars, and I can use the regular insert for pipes with the long wick method - but this just caught my eye...)
Top cap?

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have one Zippo with pipe insert that I used approximately 1000 times for its intended purpose, and another (1935 replica) that I use for lighting cedar spills and then cigars. The replica never fails. The one with the pipe insert, on the other hand, is a monumental pain in my ass, and often won't light no matter what I do. I have tried everything I know of -- changing wicks, lengthening/trimming wicks (which is tricky, I think, with the insert), replacing the flint, filling with less or more fuel, doing that vapor-lock trick that embers posted, offering up sacrifices to Odin, etc. Either the lighter has taken a fundamental dislike to me or I am missing something painfully obvious -- both are equally likely. In the meantime I am back to lighting my pipe with matches, which is fine so long as it's not very windy. Fortunately, it is only windy here on this hill approximately 350 days a year.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I sent in my Zippo to get a pipe insert and just got it back. I have absolutely no complaints. Entire process was about 3-4 weeks, and that was over the holidays. I would definitely recommend this process if you have any Zippo issues.

I found after going through three of the Zippo pipe inserts that the striking wheels on these were not nearly as nice as the ones on the regular Zippo inserts. For me, they tended to get gummy or lose the effectiveness of the texture to make sparks when struck. So, I just use the regular inserts. Not having a large hole has never effected my being able to bring heat down from it to the tobacco for me. I'm not even sure how much better the hole in the sides works for this. It tends to give one the impression that you are to bring the lighter closer to the bowl and rim than is completely necessary. But, if they work for you guys...

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I received a Zippo a few years back as a gift, and like some of you wanted to buy a pipe insert. Not finding one for sale anywhere I called Zippo customer service to see if they would sell me one and they sent me one for free. I'm guessing they would rather sell lighters and lighter fluid. PS... I didn't request a free one, they just offered it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Back to the warranty... I'm about to send in my grandfather's for repair. The pin is gone and the hinge pins are broken. I'd also like a pipe insert instead of the lighter. For those of you who have done this, is this good?17403

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JMcQ

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I found after going through three of the Zippo pipe inserts that the striking wheels on these were not nearly as nice as the ones on the regular Zippo inserts. For me, they tended to get gummy or lose the effectiveness of the texture to make sparks when struck. So, I just use the regular inserts. Not having a large hole has never effected my being able to bring heat down from it to the tobacco for me. I'm not even sure how much better the hole in the sides works for this. It tends to give one the impression that you are to bring the lighter closer to the bowl and rim than is completely necessary. But, if they work for you guys...
Gummed up??? Nah....

Status
Not open for further replies.