PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Amazing, but I have no problem keeping it filled. Each morning I pack two pipes, then pull out the internals of the lighter, give it two tiny squeezes of fluid and reassemble...the lighter part takes a whole 28 seconds. Five minutes if I haven't had my coffee.

• Haha
Reactions: vates and BROBS

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Apparently you guys don't know this but you can send the lighter in to Zippo and they will send you the old insert plus a pipe insert inserted in the body for free. ?

Wait - you send in a standard Zippo lighter, they return to you the old insert plus a free pipe insert in your case??? A free pipe lighter insert just for the asking??? What's the catch?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wait - you send in a standard Zippo lighter, they return to you the old insert plus a free pipe insert in your case??? A free pipe lighter insert just for the asking??? What's the catch?
The catch.

Yes there is a catch.

The catch is that they have a lifetime, yes ACTUAL lifetime warranty, no questions asked. For the lifetime of the Zippo. And they are true to their word. So much so that they give out free inserts just because they love their customers.

You could find a broken rusted zippo, on the street and send it in and they'll put a new insert in it and fix it up for ya.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
The catch.

Yes there is a catch.
Of course it would appear to cost 7.25 to send a small flat rate priority envelope and if you have to pay return shipping, what? 14.50 total? And a new Zippo pipe lighter on Amazon is 14.54. It would be good for a higher end Zippo or one that has special meaning.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I send it first class costs about $3 with tracking they ship it back. Catch is it takes a few weeks. They email you when it’s received and email when it goes back.
Then that would be worth it. The time involved wouldn't be a deal breaker.
You could find a broken rusted zippo, on the street and send it in....
Now all I have to do is find a broken rusted one!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Then that would be worth it. The time involved wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Now all I have to do is find a broken rusted one!
Ll bean used to have a fantastic warranty until either A) they started makes crappier clothing or B) people were buying junk on eBay and returning it under the warranty terms of 3) all of the above. Anyways, it's gone is moral of the story...it really was just a matter of time until it became unsustainable...I hope that doesn't happen to Zippo!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The catch.

Yes there is a catch.

The catch is that they have a lifetime, yes ACTUAL lifetime warranty, no questions asked. For the lifetime of the Zippo. And they are true to their word. So much so that they give out free inserts just because they love their customers.

You could find a broken rusted zippo, on the street and send it in and they'll put a new insert in it and fix it up for ya.

They are probably quite happy to do all this because their profit margin on each Zippo must be in the order of 1000%. Giving out a few free pipe inserts is no skin of their back. It’s a pretty simple design that probably costs less than $1 to produce.

Reactions: saintpeter

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Ll bean used to have a fantastic warranty until either A) they started makes crappier clothing or B) people were buying junk on eBay and returning it under the warranty terms of 3) all of the above. Anyways, it's gone is moral of the story...it really was just a matter of time until it became unsustainable...I hope that doesn't happen to Zippo!

I used to only buy LL Bean backpacks for this reason, but no more for me. Lost a customer. Bass shoes used to have a lifetime warranty as well. Covered everything except the soles. That's over. So many people abuse stuff. Glad to know Zippo still builds quality items built to last.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
A long time ago, I ruined a nice Stanwell by using a butane torch lighter with it. The butane lighters are just too hot and will burn the rim of the pipe. The Zippo Pipe Insert lighters seem to be the easiest on the rim of the pipe by focusing the flame down, into the center of the bowl. But, this same 'focused' characteristic makes the actual lighting of the tobacco slower and more difficult that a standard Zippo does. I keep both a standard and pipe Zippo in my smoking basket and use them both regularly. I tend to use the one with the pipe insert when it's windy and when using high zooter pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.