PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still prefer my 80 year old Nimrod.

img_20141203_105358-1.jpg

The biggest thing I dislike about my Nimrod is the dang thing dries out in just a couple of days. Such a waste of fluid. I use it as decoration only now....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
have few zippos. love them. but filling them every 3-4 days gets old really quick. did think about butane insert, but when bic is readily available everywhere.. i like bic. not exactly zippo, but no specific issue using it in wind.
If you find a small plastic baggie to slip it into, you may find a longer span between fills. I prefer BICs to Zippos, but I'm a refillable kind of guy.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes I sent my Zippo in to have the hinge tightened, and a pipe insert put in. (For free by the way) I have heard of a lot of people that don't use the pipe insert, and just raise the wick slightly. I've been thinking of doing that to mine.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
have few zippos. love them. but filling them every 3-4 days gets old really quick. did think about butane insert, but when bic is readily available everywhere.. i like bic. not exactly zippo, but no specific issue using it in wind.

I hear ya! I’ve been a Bic man. Oh sure, I’ll whip out my little Kiribi Mikazuki when I’m feelin’ fancy. Like when I’m wearing my good camo cap or fresh underwear (Dollar store).

Seriously though, now that I’ve got this cool new Zippo, it’ll be going with me in my pipe bag. It’s a really cool one: “GUINNESS” on the lid and has the three Toucans with the hats on. I truly love that lighter.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
you know the wick can be trimmed off with scissors?

I cut the one in my pipe insert down to the bottom of the "hole" in the windguard... flame size is perfect then.

Reactions: twoonefive

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Got it in today. Have a couple some where, but was too lazy to hunt them down. Seeing as how I have no self control or patience to wait for the insert I performed the age old new Zippo ritual.
  1. Tear box apart to get to it. Check.
  2. Pull guts out to fill. Check.
c3) Put some fluid in it. Check.
  1. Put some more in it. Check.
  2. Fill further until it runs out over lighter and hand. Check.
  3. Set it down to evaporate after putting back together. Check.
  4. Take it apart and put it back together with it facing right direction. Check.
  5. Crank it one time to see if it sparks. Check.
  6. Watch hair on back of hand curl in the ball of flame that engulfs hand and lighter. Check.
Works perfectly.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I’ve got a few Zippos with both pipe insets and standard inserts. I also bought a butane pipe insert.
I like the Zippo pipe inserts, and you get all things Zippo from it. I don’t really like the butane insert (thunderbird or Zpipe) - might as well just use a Bic or a knock off angled lighter (which I also have and use - mostly for the car). You loose all the “Zippo-ness” with the butane insert...just not the same. The 2-3 second burn removes any fuel taste for me. I get about 10-14 days from a fill, using it for one bowl and a few relights a night, with no special accommodations to the lighter...

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
M

Marindas

I have two Zippos. My first one would only keep fluid for about 5 days. The newer one will last a couple of weeks with occasional use. The new one is one of the brass armored series and has a Mitch tighter fit with the insert. Now it is all I use.

Reactions: Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You can also squeeze the case to make the fit tighter if you are losing too much fluid. ? Same with the lid.

zippos pre-1980 are another thing I collected for a while lol. But mainly the slims.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
To open another can of worms how about an IMCO lighter where you can pull out the lit “candle” and light your pipe? I’ve got a few of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.