PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Saw a fix for zip evaporation on youtube where you find a wide rubber band and put that around the lighter - covering the seam. Looking for a rubber-band now!
Yup. That or a small plastic bag. More evaporates from there than the space between the case and tank.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Does a zippo pipe lighter reach deep enough into the bowl for relights?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any (almost) source of flame can do that.

You always want to draw the flame to just above the tobacco, not on it. That's for the first light and the last.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Saw a fix for zip evaporation on youtube where you find a wide rubber band and put that around the lighter - covering the seam. Looking for a rubber-band now!

It has always boggled my mind why Zippo themselves have not even attempted to solve the evaporation issue. It is such a major design flaw.

I guess they never had to because people keep buying Zippos and Zippo fluid from them anyway.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
...Zippo fluid...?
or Ronsinol as well now.
The Kodak model: give ‘em the camera cheap, and charge for the film (fluid)!
I’m still a big Zippo fan...?

Reactions: anotherbob

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC

There was a nutter in my unit during my time in service; he used to keep his zippo inside of a section of inner-tub covering the whole lighter. Even stowed it up a sleeve of his wetsuit. When he wanted to light up, he just rolled it back and flipped it open.

I still use a zippo (pipe insert) and don't find that there is a detectable flavour from the fluid as long as I'm not chugging too hard on a light. Lengthening the wick is a must, especially for deep bowls.

For butane options I do also have some ST Dupont clones and a Dunhill rollagas. Those Dunhill's are pretty fantastic tbh a great design and easily tweakable/maintainable.

Reactions: Casual

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Maybe because there's no easy solution?
The Douglas Field Lighter seems to have solved this problem.

Unlike most lighters, the Field Lighter's fuel won't evaporate in a few weeks time, it last up to a year without evaporating. It has a water-tight mechanism over the wick so that when you lift up the screw-in lock and tighten, it completely seals up the ignition and the flint wheel.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The Douglas Field Lighter seems to have solved this problem.

Unlike most lighters, the Field Lighter's fuel won't evaporate in a few weeks time, it last up to a year without evaporating. It has a water-tight mechanism over the wick so that when you lift up the screw-in lock and tighten, it completely seals up the ignition and the flint wheel.

Wow, nice! And pricey. I guess a similar redesign would mean a compete change in appearance for Zippo.

Reactions: anotherbob

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
It has always boggled my mind why Zippo themselves have not even attempted to solve the evaporation issue. It is such a major design flaw.
I just don't understand. Why, with my Zippo I have to take it apart every six days and dump the excess fluid out, rather than refill it. Um...honest! (I am a pipe smoker and we never exaggerate or lie.)

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and mingc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow, nice! And pricey. I guess a similar redesign would mean a compete change in appearance for Zippo.
Zippo might manufacture other designs to be sold under different names or to supply other companies, but they aren't going to mess with success.

The field lighter is great for those in combat, but seems awfully fiddly for normal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.