PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've read this a number of times, but wonder...
Do the pipe lighter zips gone the bowl a 'fuel' off-taste, or is that primarily a cigar thing?
cigar thing. I think the vapors rise and with a pipe you are pulling the heat down not putting a tube above the flame and gas vapor. But it's not an issue unless you really super over fill the thing which you shouldn't do in the first place.

Liamv

Lurker
Feb 24, 2020
I like my original spectrum Zippo Classic lighter in Chameleon - a classic petrol lighter. I bought a property in Spain and made in my home a fireplace, so I bought only Zippo petrol lighters.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
1582536118127.png

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve seen those rubber pads and wonder why Zippo didn’t install them. Must be a reason.

Perhaps the reason is that if you don’t overfill the lighter, it doesn’t leak out the bottom at all? And perhaps most of the longer term evaporation is coming out of the wick.

I don’t actually know that, just throwing out an idea. Zippo seems like a good enough company to look at these aftermarket products to see if they’re any good.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I’m not happy with the clue.

Attachments

• F421ABB8-4BE9-4A14-ACCC-913B7223A4C0.png
    F421ABB8-4BE9-4A14-ACCC-913B7223A4C0.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Pierre1965

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Still holding fuel And working fine.

I tried to light it tonight for the first time in a week or so. Finally empty. ? So, for the record I filled it Jan 1. I would open it and light it every day so so. Then put the ranger band back on. Lasted until around Mar 11. Evaporation isn’t an issue I don’t think.

Reactions: vates and BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sent my brass Armor Zippo in for warranty two weeks ago for a second time since I got it in 2012. Twice now the hinge has become loose from being abused daily. I also asked them to clean my pipe insert, and send me a regular insert too. Not sure if they will do either of those, but it's worth a shot.

Seems as if the armor Zippos are bullet proof, but the hinges are weaker!
This is my backup Zippo. Much more slippery with the chrome.

IMG_20200312_230940.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Got my lighter back 3 days ago. They didn't clean my insert, as I figured they wouldnt. No big deal. But they did send me another regular insert like I asked ( I just wanted an extra lol) and the hinge is good as new. I think they redesigned the hinge system, as the new pin in the center is hollow, and much tighter than I ever remember them being.

IMG_20200322_003321.jpg
IMG_20200322_003126.jpg
And showing the new solder marks.
IMG_20200322_003245.jpg
And the wear and tear.
IMG_20200322_003148.jpg
IMG_20200322_003154.jpg

Glad to have my old friend back in my pocket. I felt empty the few weeks not having it. Even though I have backups, this one is mine. Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_003245.jpg
    IMG_20200322_003245.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have the same Zippo that I bought new in 1989 (date stamp from June '89). It's been with me through several relationships, a three country tour of the middle east, countless motorcycle trips, camping trips and storms. Rain storms, snow storms, hail storms, dust storms; it never failed me. While everyone with a Bic was burning their thumbs at the concert my digits remained as cool as the music I was listening to. It's provided a reliable source of ignition for cigarettes, cigars, pipes and whatever else I wanted to burn. I don't care if I have to refill it occasionally. Every couple mornings while I'm preparing my coffee I upend the fuel bottle and do a five count, that's it; less than 5 seconds. With disassemble, fueling, reassembly and post fueling burn off I guess I've lost 30 seconds of my day that a Bic could have saved me. It is the original fidget toy and the noise that only a Zippo can make is the siren call to all smokers looking to "bum one". The most important thing about a Zippo though isn't it's longevity, not it's reliability, not it's factory backed warranty. The most important thing about a Zippo is that chicks dig it! Combine the Zippo with a pipe, some bushy facial hair and a cool hat... those skin faced, bare headed, non pipe smoking, Zippoless guys don't stand a chance. Zippos are just plain COOL!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You've encapsulated much of the great Zippo experience and love. Had I had one going through half as much as you have, I'd still be using mine. But, alas, I have LAD, and much like my refillable butanes.

If you can slip your Zip into a small plastic bag over night or for when you're not using it for hours, you'll lengthen the time between refills.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have the same Zippo that I bought new in 1989 (date stamp from June '89). It's been with me through several relationships, a three country tour of the middle east, countless motorcycle trips, camping trips and storms. Rain storms, snow storms, hail storms, dust storms; it never failed me. While everyone with a Bic was burning their thumbs at the concert my digits remained as cool as the music I was listening to. It's provided a reliable source of ignition for cigarettes, cigars, pipes and whatever else I wanted to burn. I don't care if I have to refill it occasionally. Every couple mornings while I'm preparing my coffee I upend the fuel bottle and do a five count, that's it; less than 5 seconds. With disassemble, fueling, reassembly and post fueling burn off I guess I've lost 30 seconds of my day that a Bic could have saved me. It is the original fidget toy and the noise that only a Zippo can make is the siren call to all smokers looking to "bum one". The most important thing about a Zippo though isn't it's longevity, not it's reliability, not it's factory backed warranty. The most important thing about a Zippo is that chicks dig it! Combine the Zippo with a pipe, some bushy facial hair and a cool hat... those skin faced, bare headed, non pipe smoking, Zippoless guys don't stand a chance. Zippos are just plain COOL!

Oh come on...

Seriously?

Pictures are absolutely necessary following a post like that. Not kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.