Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Home made: Grilled cheese first slices of mild Gouda, then a layer of spicey salami/peperoni and topped with mild Gouda again. Bit of buttor on the outside to create a crust.... Hmmmm......

Eating out: we have a lot of Turkish fast food restaurants, a loaf of soft bread with Döner Kebab (big hunk of chicken meat, slowly rotating against a grill sliced thin) slaw, pickles, tomato and cucumber with garlic and red chili sauce is great, must be my favorite comfort food. We have a place near work, you can't imagine how they can offer you a good sandwich, fries and a can of soda on the side for 6,50.
So many good surinam food diners in Rotterdam :)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Here is one of my Bahn Mi sandwiches

View attachment 121601
I forgot to put Bahn Mi on my list.

Sweet, salty, crunchy, spicy, meaty, fatty, and fresh. It is a cornucopia of flavors that satisfies and refreshes every time.

I don't often have all the ingredients on hand, but I pick up the remainder when I'm close.

If you haven't tried one, give it a shot. There is no heavy lifting and you can learn to "flash" pickle veggies. It is worth gathering all the ingredients and a taste that will probably shock your tastebuds.

Honorable mention to the Thanksgiving sandwich, which I am known to make throughout the year.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Obviously I am surrounded by neophytes who have no conception of the greatness of a proper Lobster roll.

Another sandwich is from Mothers in New Orleans. I had the fried Oyster Po Boy and the shrimp Po Boy. I was not a fan of the muffuletta as the bread did nothing for me and the olive dressing over powered the meat flavors.

The greatest cheese steak was from college subs, which was near Boston College. For 2.50 the bread was covered with cheese and steak and onions. You needed a fork for the first 10 minutes of so. At 2 in the morning it was the best 2.50 sub you could spend but if you wanted the best 2.50 meal it was the Golden Gate in Chinatown in Boston. They gave you enough for 2 days.
I really miss my Chinatown. There is one place buy me in Sarasota that is about half as good as my Boston places.

At 3 am only a few places were open in Boston's Chinatown which was at the 4 Seasons. Booze was supposed to be stopped being served, but our guy at the 4 Seasons filled tea pots with beer which was pretty cool. We had sold them a few cars and gave them real good deals so they took care of us in those later hours.

the greatness of a proper Lobster roll.
I have had lobster rolls in Cape Cod, several ocean front places, and even at some of the best restaurants... it is the most overrated food in the world. Barely any taste and full of freakin' butter, which is mostly what you taste. It is like beignets in New Orleans, totally overblown out of proportions. If you like bland, butter drenched lobster, which barely has a taste... then sure, have at it. I much preferred lobster ravioli. YMMV

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
We had the best places in Galilea R,I and that is where the boats came in with their catch. A few of the little shanty's had the best rolls.
My ex wife made a mean Lobster roll I would put up against anyone's.
Any fancy expensive place that sold lobster rolls were not in the same league as the little hole in the walls.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Being married into a Vietnamese family, I'm also partial to a good old Banh Mi. My favourite type has a mix of cured and grilled pork (with the usually paté) loaded with herbs and chilli. Headcheese is also great in there.

There was an old Italian deli next door to my first workplace (I was 16) called "Marino's" and every lunchtime (if I could afford it) I'd go there to watch the serie A and have lunch and coffee. Marino served a pollo Milanese (like a breaded chicken escalope) and marinara panini made fresh with your topping of choice.

Char-grilled and sloppy with buffallo mozzarella, marinara sauce and a good helping of hot peppers. It remains lodged in my food memory as a damned fine sandwich.

Traditional English ones I grew up with - a sausage bap or bacon butty (with brown sauce) are also fine fare and good scran.

Living in Montreal, I've since become more familiar with the "smoked meat" sandwiches which can be quite satisfying. If you ever visit - Snowdon Deli make a great Reuben (and knish, blintzes and other things).

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
We had the best places in Galilea R,I and that is where the boats came in with their catch. A few of the little shanty's had the best rolls.
My ex wife made a mean Lobster roll I would put up against anyone's.
Any fancy expensive place that sold lobster rolls were not in the same league as the little hole in the walls.
That's on my bucket list! In all my 63 years I've never had a lobster roll!