PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Good topic for discussion!
I must be related to Laurent or something.............

My #1 as well would be a well made Rueben with just as much (if not a bit more) kraut as the corned beef..... I too judge a restaurants quality by the quality of their Rueben.

My #2 is a fried bologna sandwich. There's a little bar, called the "G&R Tavern" near me in Waldo, OH.
They are world famous for their fried bologna- about a 3/4" slice of good quality Amish-made bologna........... When I first started going there they were .89 cents each.

#3 is just a memory, because for some reason I just can't duplicate them, as simple as they are.
When I was a teen I baled hay for a local farmer. He had a large spread and would have a half dozen of us working in the heat and the dust. At lunchtime his wife would bring out just simple fried egg sandwiches on store bought wheat bread with Hellman's mayo and salt and pepper.
She'd stack them back in the bread sacks and bring them to the field- and there was PLENTY for everyone...........I still love them, but they never taste as good as they did back then, sitting in the shade at noon resting after working your balls off all morning........... good times!

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Good topic for discussion!
I must be related to Laurent or something.............

My #1 as well would be a well made Rueben with just as much (if not a bit more) kraut as the corned beef..... I too judge a restaurants quality by the quality of their Rueben.

My #2 is a fried bologna sandwich. There's a little bar, called the "G & R" bar near me in Waldo, OH.
They are world famous for their fried bologna- about a 3/4" slice of good quality Amish-made bologna........... When I first started going there they were .89 cents each.

#3 is just a memory, because for some reason I just can't duplicate them, as simple as they are.
When I was a teen I baled hay for a local farmer. He had a large spread and would have a half dozen of us working in the heat and the dust. At lunchtime his wife would bring out just simple fried egg sandwiches on store bought wheat bread with Hellman's mayo and salt and pepper.
She'd stack them back in the bread sacks and bring them to the field- and there was PLENTY for everyone...........I still love them, but they never taste as good as they did back then, sitting in the shade at noon resting after working your balls off all morning........... good times!
I try to duplicate my grandmother’s ground bologna sandwiches and I still haven’t been able to.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
You know I have never had spam still in 42 years, maybe that’s what I need to try this weekend.
Our Top in RVN was a Spam addict. he had one of those old electric griddles that he would use to get a nice crisp surface on the spam and toast buns. He once saw me using ketchup and during the friendly beat down that followed educated me that I wanted dill pickle, slice of onion and mustard.
Been doing that way for 50 years.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
There’s a one-time sandwich that I won’t forget. It was a Monte Christo at a Bennigan’s restaurant in Des Moines, Iowa about ten years ago. If I remember correctly, it’s soaked in a batter overnight then deep fried. Damn, it was good.

Just pulled up their menu.1642087052810.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So much depends on who, or what restaurant, is making the sandwich, since any sandwich can be spoiled by poor ingredients or an uninspired sandwich chef. Among the best Reuben sandwiches I've had was from Katz's deli in NYC. Lately we've had a series of excellent meatball subs with cheese from an Italian restaurant called Assaggio's. The bread is as critical as the ingredients. A grilled cheese sandwich on fine bread with superior cheese is a beautiful thing, and a well constructed BLT with all fresh ingredients is a work of art. I don't like sandwiches stacked too high that come apart when you eat them. For sandwich chains, I've had the best luck with Jersey Mike's, with other chains straggling in mediocre or downright bad. One chain, to be unnamed, used to be quite good, but when I tried them lately, they had cold factory bread with assembly line cold cuts and cheese and no toppings or oil or anything -- prison food. That's the last time they'll see me.

I love sandwiches. All shapes and sizes, but my all time favorite has to be the Torta. More specifically the Torta Cubana in all its variations.

View attachment 121389
That one looks really good, but in reality, they usually come looking like they were run over by a tank. I'm just not a fan of having my sandwiches pressed.