PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Title edited. Please capitalize only important words, -jpm. (Rule 9)

My wife is a wonderful cook. She can make just about any meal tasty, but she has learned that I am the "Sandwich King." I believe that the simple sandwich is probably the tastiest and best source of nourishment that there is to be found. There are so many delicious sandwiches, such as ham and swiss on rye, reuben, fried egg and ham, chicken and blue cheese and in the summer such simple bites as a cucumber or tomato and mayo sandwich. So what is your favorite sandwich?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I don't discriminate and it depends on the mood. All sandwiches have a place in my heart.

The classics are standards for a reason. Note, I am known to make meatloaf just for the sandwiches the next day.

In no particular order:

Hot Italian
Reuben
Corned beef
Muffaletta
Fried bologna
Grilled cheese
Pesto chicken
Ham with pub mustard and horseradish
French dip
Burger
BLT
Club
Crab cake
Meatloaf
Meatball sub

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Home made: Grilled cheese first slices of mild Gouda, then a layer of spicey salami/peperoni and topped with mild Gouda again. Bit of buttor on the outside to create a crust.... Hmmmm......

Eating out: we have a lot of Turkish fast food restaurants, a loaf of soft bread with Döner Kebab (big hunk of chicken meat, slowly rotating against a grill sliced thin) slaw, pickles, tomato and cucumber with garlic and red chili sauce is great, must be my favorite comfort food. We have a place near work, you can't imagine how they can offer you a good sandwich, fries and a can of soda on the side for 6,50.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Go ahead! Ask me which of my children I love the most.

There are a number of sandwiches I would have claimed as being my favorites depending on the time and location.
For example, growing up we would occasionally drive to meet my father on the towboat he worked on. This one cooked made the best ham & cheese sandwiches - thick slices of baked ham, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise on toast. Thinking of those sandwiches still make me hungry.

But living in south Louisiana, I have to give a nod to poboys ("dressed" with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and mayo) - fried catfish or shrimp or roast beef with gravy (depending on the location.) But one that is often overlooked but can hit a spot like nothing else is the french fry poboy with "debris". Debris is the bits and pieces of roast beef in the gravy (or aus jus) from the cooking process. Don't knock it until you try it.

I also have a soft spot for a good triple layer Club sandwich.

#1 Rueben and I want a Reuben with as much kraut as meat.
#2 hot chicken sandwich
Oooo, I love a good Rueben, but I am not a fan of rye bread. I like mine on a ciabatta.

Oh yeh, it is getting close to muffuletta season, with Fat Tuesday approaching. Dat's a great sandwich as well.

Jun 9, 2018
England
My favourite sandwich is very simple (bit like me, really?). My mum's homemade white bread with some M&S Cornish cruncher extra mature cheddar cheese and my mum's homemade pickle.

It was a Brit who invented it (probably). John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich.

"The modern sandwich is named after Lord Sandwich, but the exact circumstances of its invention and original use are still the subject of debate. A rumour in a contemporaneous travel book called Tour to London by Pierre-Jean Grosley formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table but Sandwich was into many bad habits, including the Hellfire Club, and any story may be a creation after the fact. Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler, the story goes, and he did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. Consequently, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends. Other people, according to this account, began to order "the same as Sandwich!", and thus the "sandwich" was born.