PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Ok, my $.02. If we are straight up talking plain-jane deli sandwiches, my hands-down favorite is one my grandmother used to make me when I would stay with her and my grandfather for a few weeks every summer. It reminds me so much of her (both of them) and it's delicious!

Rye
deli turkey
swiss cheese
bread and butter pickles
and mayonnaise

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
There are not many mentioned that I don't really enjoy, but here's one I like to whip up for myself once in awhile...
Toasted buttered ciabatta, fried egg, cheddar cheese, ham and or bacon, leftover potatoes (Fried or French Fries). Heat it up until everything gets nice and warm and the cheese starts to melt, salt and pepper to taste.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Philadelphia CheeseSteak with fried onions and sweet peppers.
View attachment 121395
I remember a sub shop in Cumberland, MD who used to make the best Steak and Cheese subs. One day I went in and the grill was loaded with nothing but onions grilling. Their steak and Cheese subs were immense, but when he scooped all those onions off the grill and placed on the steak and cheese, I knew I was in heaven. Of course the grease was dripping off it and my arteries were clogging just by seeing it, but man they were good subs.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hot Italian grinder , or kielbasa and sauerkraut on a roll
I love the Italian sausage with onions and peppers you get at county fairs. You can make it at home and they don't taste as good as what you get at the fair grounds. I always told my wife that it was the fly shit from all the flys that visited the livestock area that made the taste difference. It's amazing, but she never had one after that.

Bowlsmoker67

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2021
Montgomery County Ny
I love the Italian sausage with onions and peppers you get at county fairs. You can make it at home and they don't taste as good as what you get at the fair grounds. I always told my wife that it was the fly shit from all the flys that visited the livestock area that made the taste difference. It's amazing, but she never had one after that.
Hard to beat greasy fair food

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Cucumber sandwich. Lots of butter, salted cucumber sliced very thin. White pre-sliced bread with the crusts cut off, sliced into four triangles.

Honorable mention 1. A toasted sandwich with salami, Swiss cheese, lettuce, & LOTS of black pepper.

Honorable mention 2. Chicken, mango, lashings of mayo, pickled jalapeño, & a sprinkle of coriander (this also makes a very fine pasta sauce).

Honorable mention 3. Toasted brie & crunchy bacon with mayo (equal proportions of all three near enough).

Final honourable mention. Toasted Marmite, butter, & mild chedder.

I'm hungry now.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Haven't read any posts yet, so will do that later, but I love all sorts of sandwiches - couldn't even make a manageable list.

My favorite is a cheeseburger off my grill - a nice soft bun I have to slice myself, almost any kind of melted cheese, ketchup, mustard, a little bit of onion, "bread and butter" pickle chips (preferably that I've made from cucumbers out of the garden).