Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Pork chop hot off the grill or warmed back up in between two pieces of buttered bread has always been a favorite of mine.
If you add mustard, grilled onions, and sport peppers, it's a Maxwell Street Polish sandwich (which is also good with polish sausage).

Sometimes I pick up the thin, bone-in chops just to make the sandwich (which is just as good on cheap hamburger buns). Hold the sandwich by the bone to avoid a chipped tooth.

If the sport peppers are too hot, a splash of cayenne pepper sauce or pepperchini do the trick.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If you remember the name please let me know, or let me know approx address (cross streets) and I can find it from there. Thanks!
This is driving me nuts. I can’t even think of the cross streets it was on. All I remember is it was on the east side, I know that’s not any help, haha. I’ll have to ask my ex wife, she’ll remember. I just spent 20 minutes trying to google with no luck! Ugh.

Reactions: WVOldFart

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
This is driving me nuts. I can’t even think of the cross streets it was on. All I remember is it was on the east side, I know that’s not any help, haha. I’ll have to ask my ex wife, she’ll remember. I just spent 20 minutes trying to google with no luck! Ugh.
Don't ask your ex-wife, that may open a can of worms! Where did you live? You said it was walking distance, so that'll narrow it down, I'll do a quick look. May not be there anyway, restaurants having trouble here with all the restrictions.

My favorite here is Buster's BBQ: pulled pork or brisket. You'll have plenty of that in TX!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I was in high school, I went to visit my friends in NYC. A friend's friend was running a sandwich shop and they had best hot pastrami sandwich I ever had. They had slanted grill they custom made to grill pastrami and that thing worked like charm grilling the meat just right.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Don't ask your ex-wife, that may open a can of worms! Where did you live? You said it was walking distance, so that'll narrow it down, I'll do a quick look. May not be there anyway, restaurants having trouble here with all the restrictions.

My favorite here is Buster's BBQ: pulled pork or brisket. You'll have plenty of that in TX!
That’s the other problem, we lived on a numbered street. I think it was something like SE 44th st. I know the house we lived in when we first moved there was SE Mitchell St. which was also walking distance just a bit further. We moved closer to the restaurant when we moved to the second location that I can’t remember, only lived at that house for a year and the restaurant opened about 6 months after we moved. I’ll find out the name, it’s just going to take some detective work. It’s my daughters 5th birthday weekend so no time at the moment.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That’s the other problem, we lived on a numbered street. I think it was something like SE 44th st. I know the house we lived in when we first moved there was SE Mitchell St. which was also walking distance just a bit further. We moved closer to the restaurant when we moved to the second location that I can’t remember, only lived at that house for a year and the restaurant opened about 6 months after we moved. I’ll find out the name, it’s just going to take some detective work. It’s my daughters 5th birthday weekend so no time at the moment.
Actually found it. I had something in my head like, Shut the Fork Up but it is just called Shut Up & Eat. If you try a breakfast sandwich!

*Edit. So sad, just read the article, they closed up shop! What a shame. Out of all the wonderful places to eat in Portland, this one was by far my favorite.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
So sad, just read the article, they closed up shop! What a shame. Out of all the wonderful places to eat in Portland, this one was by far my favorite.
It's the McClelland's of Sandwiches! Now I'll never know (unless I can find one of their sandwiches on ebay)

I know right where that is, used to live in that area. I'll ask around, I have friends in food service and maybe the owner will start another in the future. With that talent, it's a good bet. It's gone the way of Kupie Cone, just south on Steele, if that was still there when you were. Thanks for your efforts!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
For me, there's nothin' like a good tuna salad, w/minced red onion and celery, half a teaspoon of horseradish mustard mixed in there, a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper to taste, on organic (no glyphosate for me, thanks!) toasted wheat with a lettuce leaf. Kosher dill pickle on the side, w/potato chips and a cup of coffee. Delightful!

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Homemade Chicken Breast Sandwich
Pound and marinate breast in soy sauce/chopped garlic/chopped ginger for no less than 3 hours. Grill breast and top with good quality ham slice and swiss cheese until melted. Serve on bun with mayo and dill pickle slices. You're welcome.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Any of the normal sliced lunch meats are fine with mayo on wheat or white. The one I search out and make about once a year is a pickled herring sandwich my cousin learned to make while in Estonia as an exchange student.

Toast two pieces of bread. Then add one layer of pickled herring. Then enough mustard to get a bit each piece of herring. I dont really like mustard, or pickled herring by itself, but somehow this works together.