PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My stash is not the biggest or the smallest... somewhere in the middle. I figure I've got about 8 pounds of two different bulk English, about 50 or so 50gm tins of English, half a dozen 14oz. cans of Raleigh and a couple of pounds of Cavendish. As it goes down I replenish. puffy

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just read through this thread and glanced to my left. I realized, I am not addicted to tobacco. I am addicted to Priority Mail boxes....

1662324633459.png

I estimated just before my move a cellar between 100-150 pounds.

Since Hurricane @hoosierpipeguy passed through, however, I believe myself to be firmly in the 150-175 pound bracket.

I now expect my cellar to outlive me, with the exception of pipe cleaners.

1662324617017.png

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I just read through this thread and glanced to my left. I realized, I am not addicted to tobacco. I am addicted to Priority Mail boxes....

View attachment 166950

I estimated just before my move a cellar between 100-150 pounds.

Since Hurricane @hoosierpipeguy passed through, however, I believe myself to be firmly in the 150-175 pound bracket.

I now expect my cellar to outlive me, with the exception of pipe cleaners.

View attachment 166949
I have a section almost exactly like that.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Well I went from cigars to trying pipes and full obsessions since. 3 years in and it’s what I do and what I enjoy. I don’t know anymore. I know I’ve got to stop and sell/trade a lot. I’ve got a full closet nearly. I have this urge to try everything. 200- 250 tins maybe? 80 or so jars 12oz, 16oz and more. Many 8oz cans of stuff and then the 4 drawers of my daily selection which is another 50 jars of varying amounts but all 8oz jars so maybe those are 1-2oz each. Every time I smoke something and like it, I feel like I have to buy more after the second bowl. I have 2 shipments on the way right now and got 2 last week. I’ve seriously gotta stop but now C/D Red flake 2022 coming out … FOMO for sure.

Reactions: FLDRD

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've got enough to last about 15 years. Maybe a little more. Sometimes I'll go grab a tin and think "I will never smoke all this tobacco, why am I still buying it?" And then I'll do some mental math and realize "if all I smoked was MacBaren HH Burley Flake, I'd run out of that stash in a year." And then I go buy more.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
At this point I believe I have about 30lbs of tobacco of over 100 blends. And so to Bed is the largest portion about about 5lbs.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
What we see above is not merely a love of pipe smoking and tobaccos, but a case of the "collector mentality". I think I know what I'm talking about because suffer from it too.

When collectors find something they really like, be it coins, stamps, lace doilies, tobacco or whatever, they feel they never have enough. There is a compulsion to constantly obtain more. It's the "aquireing" that gives a rush, which soon wears off and they have to get their fix all over again.

I have several collections of useless trivia myself, so I know how it feels. Trying to control the impulse is not easy, but I'm lucky in that my collecting is controlled by my being retired on a fixed income and a desire to stay out of the poor house.... puffy

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
What we see above is not merely a love of pipe smoking and tobaccos, but a case of the "collector mentality". I think I know what I'm talking about because suffer from it too.

When collectors find something they really like, be it coins, stamps, lace doilies, tobacco or whatever, they feel they never have enough. There is a compulsion to constantly obtain more. It's the "aquireing" that gives a rush, which soon wears off and they have to get their fix all over again.

I have several collections of useless trivia myself, so I know how it feels. Trying to control the impulse is not easy, but I'm lucky in that my collecting is controlled by my being retired on a fixed income and a desire to stay out of the poor house.... puffy
It's not a problem. I can stop anytime I want.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

The thrill is always in the hunt.

Reactions: kanaia and Elric

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I purposefully keep myself in the dark...ignorance is bliss.
I also have it in different areas of the basement and it is alway a joy to come across something I forgot I even had.
If I stopped to actually tally it, I think I would have to go to confession.

Reactions: Elric