PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This drawer represents nearly all of my "cellar", if you can even call it that:

About 2.5 lbs overall.

Exactly 3 months later, my cellar has tripled in size to 7.5 lbs and officially moved out of the drawer. :ROFLMAO:

I could say that with a deeper stock of my favorites and a healthy variety of blends to try, I will now be taking my foot off the gas. But I don't want to lie to you folks again. puffy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'm trying to figure out how I've amassed 16 lb of tobacco in just a year into this hobby. I don't even want to ponder on what that means in $ spent so far.
:ROFLMAO: We don't measure that here in these parts. We measure it on a scale of "How Pissed Off Is My Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other," or, alternately, "How Pissed Off Would My Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other Be If She Knew About All This Freaking Tobacco?" It's kind of like that pain index chart you see in the doctor's office, with the smiling green face that turns redder and angrier as the amount of pain increases. Except that, instead of the MD absconding with our hard-earned fiat dollars, it's SP.com, et al.

lebowski.png

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
:ROFLMAO: We don't measure that here in these parts. We measure it on a scale of "How Pissed Off Is My Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other," or, alternately, "How Pissed Off Would My Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other Be If She Knew About All This Freaking Tobacco?" It's kind of like that pain index chart you see in the doctor's office, with the smiling green face that turns redder and angrier as the amount of pain increases. Except that, instead of the MD absconding with our hard-earned fiat dollars, it's SP.com, et al.

View attachment 186130
Come to think of it, I'm very curious about what the poll result looks like of all forum members' response to your great idea of "How Pissed Off Is My Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other" scale. Mine is at two red faces out of five, or so I think.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I don't have an extensive cellar. maybe 20 tins and 40-ish glass jars between 4 and 8 ounces, but not every jar is completely filled. I also have a varying supply of cigars. Sometimes I have a 60 sticks in the humidor, and sometimes I've only got 2 or 3. I wish cigars were cheaper lol. Actually, I wish all tobacco was cheaper, but what can you do? I buy blends I haven't smoked and if I like it ill buy 2 or 3 tins and call it good. If its only so-so I don't buy more.

I think if I had been smoking when McClelland was still in the game my cellar would be huge because I can chain smoke 5100 and wilderness.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I had three or four lbs put away before the hiatus/diaspora/midlife crisis hit - much of it Syrian Latakia blends, very happy I didn’t sell it.

Probably sitting just south of 15 lbs now, after running into you gentlemen a year or so ago and learning that I was way behind the power curve. TAD is real! I’ve tried to stock up a bit on the stuff that I know I like but daily I learn of something new and alluring. How do I know that yonder grass won’t be greener and sweeter? It kinda feels like going from a small town, where there are like 5 girls in your high school to traveling the world and discovering that it is a cornucopia of lovely women of infinitely varying attributes. Blessedly, tobaccos seem like a much less destructive vehicle to satisfy one’s thirst for variety.

Even so I am somewhat envious of those who’ve found their own personal Arcadia, who are content to smoke one perfect blend, morning till night. It would make the hoarding cellaring so much more straightforward!

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Maybe five pounds?
I soon hope to put enough away to keep me for at least midway into my life, but at two bowls a day for safety, even in smaller pipes, that is a shit ton very sizable amount.
But, that’s just really just hoping.
The reality of the matter is that most of the pipe tobaccos I would like to cellar or think would be good to cellar are getting slapped with heavy tin limits, or folks are finding out about them and going hard. Prices are going up too, so, we’ll see how long I can do this. On top of all that, I only ever really like around 25% of the pipe tobacco I try, and way less of that will last the tests of time. If I have pipe tobacco to smoke in twenty years, my early forties, I’ll be pretty happy, however bittersweet running out will be.

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I remember placing the first order, for a value of 55 euros, in the Mac Baren variety of tobacco. I was scared to see so much tobacco. It didn't even weigh a kilo. Now I think I have, I don't know exactly, I think around 50 kilos. But I would risk saying that I have exceeded that amount.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Reviewing my cellar this year, it has not grown a lot as I bought a lot of single tins to try and work through them, but I still bought more than I smoked. I do not open a lot of tins and smoke through the tin to see if I like it, I will change this to open everything which is not cellared, jar it and decide faster if I should cellar it. My cellar "strategy" this year was wide and shallow (about half to a kilo) of a blend that I liked. My strategy will change to stock up on anything I like, regardless if I allready have it in my cellar, so it might change to narrow and deep the coming year.

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Mine has her own cellar and bought much of my pipes and tobacco over the past several years.
I love it. You guys are one up each other! Any wifes out there who not only buy your pipes and tobaccos, but alos load and light the pipe for you? (Thinking about the old tobacco commercials from the yesteryears). Now that's a winner :p