PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
According to my count I have just hit 70 lbs. At my rate of smoking I am set into my 70's. I've bought about 10 lbs or more this year already. Wow that happened fast
Cellaring is an insidious process. It starts out innocently enough, a few tins here, a couple of tins there and before you know it you're climbing over mountains of tins and bags to get from your living room to the shitter.

Cellaring is also a wonderful indicator of personality type. Besides the mound builders, we've got monument builders who are amassing stores for their tombs, strategic planners ensuring their access to supplies in the event of a catastrophe, analysts who record and measure every element of their cellars, Fiske and Gould types who seek to corner the market on a particular blend so they can cash in on it, lovers for whom tobacco is their deepest passion, addicts for whom buying for the sake of buying in a necessity, and a whole lot of other OCD types.

It all starts out so innocent.

And then...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cellaring is an insidious process. It starts out innocently enough, a few tins here, a couple of tins there and before you know it you're climbing over mountains of tins and bags to get from your living room to the shitter.

Cellaring is also a wonderful indicator of personality type. Besides the mound builders, we've got monument builders who are amassing stores for their tombs, strategic planners ensuring their access to supplies in the event of a catastrophe, analysts who record and measure every element of their cellars, Fiske and Gould types who seek to corner the market on a particular blend so they can cash in on it, lovers for whom tobacco is their deepest passion, addicts for whom buying for the sake of buying in a necessity, and a whole lot of other OCD types.

It all starts out so innocent.

And then...
You overlooked pragmatist. I really enjoy smoking and have taken the necessary steps to make certain, as possible, I am supplied to my grave. And a bit extra just to make sure. There's no emotional attachment. We're I to quit smoking tomorrow, I'd sell every ounce. I've inventoried in a spread sheet, to a reasonable extent, but am not shall enough to keep it up tin by tin. It's close enough for my purposes. I created the spread sheets more for being able to locate where I put blends.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You overlooked pragmatist. I really enjoy smoking and have taken the necessary steps to make certain, as possible, I am supplied to my grave. And a bit extra just to make sure. There's no emotional attachment. We're I to quit smoking tomorrow, I'd sell every ounce. I've inventoried in a spread sheet, to a reasonable extent, but am not shall enough to keep it up tin by tin. It's close enough for my purposes. I created the spread sheets more for being able to locate where I put blends.
This.
No emotional attachment to pipes or tobaccos. I enjoy smoking. We all know that it will never be cheaper than it is today.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pragmatist is an interesting concept. Didn't you accumulate something like 400 to 500 lbs while in your mid 60's? Are you outsmoking jiminks? Even Groucho Marx said he took his cigars out of his mouth every once in a while.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pragmatist is an interesting concept. Didn't you accumulate something like 400 to 500 lbs while in your mid 60's? Are you outsmoking jiminks? Even Groucho Marx said he took his cigars out of his mouth every once in a while.
I over shot my objective. And pragmatically, I sold the excess. At the time I was buying heavily, space wasn't an issue. Classify me however you wish, my money, my space, I'll do with it as I please. I plesd guilty to being at least somewhat obsessive compulsive with things that highly interest me,

Ope!

Lurker
Dec 10, 2022
I've only been smoking pipes since September, but I've roughly got 2.5 lbs, I plan on buying more bulk of blends I enjoy. I'm still building a base level pipe rotation so I haven't been able to buy nearly as much pipe tobacco as I like. Who am I kidding though, will I ever stop buying pipes??? Probably not.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Even so I am somewhat envious of those who’ve found their own personal Arcadia, who are content to smoke one perfect blend, morning till night. It would make the hoarding cellaring so much more straightforward!
I have and it is! My Lady Nicotine is an hysterical read. I highly recommend it!

My cellar overflowing with Granger 30 Lbs (40 Tubs) Pegasus (6 pounds jarred) Winchester (6 pounds jarred)

Assorted small tins and pouches maybe 🤔 50 flavors.

You know, when I enjoyed that read, I mentally substituted Granger for Acadia? Hahhaha

crossroads

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
South of England
I am amazed by the amount of tobacco you guys have cellared. I have about 500 grams in jars and four unopened 50 grams tins and four opened and half used 50 grams tins. I feel vaguely guilty at storing so much, perhaps because I usually only smoke a bowl a day.

For most of my life I would have one pipe and one tin of tobacco and buy a new tin when I had nearly finished it. I think that there might be many pipe smokers, who are not on forums, who do much the same, at least in England.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I probably have about fifteen pounds in jars, a hundred or so unopened tins, and twenty or so bigger bags (Esoterica), tins, and boxes (Gawith). No idea what that amounts to. I usually smoke ten or so pipes a week. Some days I smoke twice, some none, maybe one or two where I do three...no real pattern here. IF I didn't buy any more tobacco, I feel like I'd still be good for 8-10 years. So now I'm in "only buy it if it's a one time thing" kinda mode. Most of this I keep in a small bureau, with my fave pipes and main jars on top. I only have three tobaccos that I keep a large amount of for weekly use: H&H 10 to Midnight, G&H Kendal Flake, and Westminster #84 Oriental. Truth be told, I could probably live out the rest of my days with those three blends. Since two of those are available bulk, the only one I have to chase now and then is the G&H.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
As time passes this is not an expensive (for some) hobby or pastime or whatever you may wish to call it. Or at least it wasn't. Not long ago the average tins were not a lot, at least here in the US. So over a decade or two as time passes it wasn't crazy hard to accumulate more than needed immediately, to "cellar". Before the rumors of McClelland going out of business I purchased tins from them because I saw other houses heading south and I knew they had a unique quality product. Same for smoker's haven. And now 30 years later I have a pile of tins, carefully stored. And I crack one or three a year. And....sometimes to make room and get rid of stuff I won't smoke I sell some through Steve Fallon (who is a pleasure) and gift others. My tobacco cellar isn't too different than a wine cellar. How many? As stated earlier, I have not counted in years, I am too busy, and I do add from time to time because....I'm not rickety old yet and there are some killer blends still being tinned. I'd not lose my head if I could no longer smoke my pipes. Tougher things happen than that, so my buying is a hobby, not a hedge to prepare for a ban or whatever. I don't buy to sell and make a profit; that's not a way ( for me ) to make a living. But if tobacco sales are stopped ( I hope not), my place will be more popular to hang at than some others! Any point to this.....for me...I guess just enjoy what you can accumulate, if you wish to do so. It's not a contest to me.