PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I'm learning. I got a dozen different tins. Haven't purchased pounds of anything. I like em all but nothing has prompted me to buy a lot for storage.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Too dang small !

I've started to keep anywhere from 2-10 of my "favorites" on hand, but those favorites may change as I'm still working my way through a big exploratory phase. I have nearly 130 different blends in tins yet to try. puffy

I'm finding that I like quality tobacco.

So far, most of them are good, simply different from one another.

When I was on a craft beer kick I found that it was rare to find something I didn't like; some I simply liked more than others. That "kick" eventually phizzled / fizzled out though... I hope the same doesn't happen with my pipe "kick".

But I know where to go to find appropriate recipients should that unlikely event occur.

?
I too am worried about phizzle. LOL, I just brewed my first batch of craft beer.

Reactions: FLDRD

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have a few blends that I cellared a pound or so, but mostly have just a bunch of tins, many of which I haven't even tried yet. All told, I probably have less than 10 lbs.

I've found that many tobaccos I like, I don't necessarily like with more than a few years age on them, so I don't stock much. I sold a lot of older tins via Pipestud, and wouldn't mind getting rid of even more that just weren't popular or old enough to sell via consignment (lookin at you, Escudo and Royal Yacht).

Last edited:
Reactions: fireground_piper

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Something recently changed.

I've been slowly improving / progressing in my skills and techniques employed to enjoy this fine hobby, and something just clicked or kicked in or what-have-you. Suddenly my tobacco consumption has diminished without any loss of enjoyment. In fact, the enjoyment has increased.

Meaning that somehow I now can smoke so much more slowly that a tin lasts longer and longer.

So a long linear learning curve on which I was improving; now a bend in the road and I have a newer & bigger "view" of the path.

Suddenly instead of perhaps a couple years worth of supplies, I think I've got a couple of decades worth of supplies!

And there are likely more bends in the road that will further inspire and enlighten my view.

Wow, what will it be like then?
puffy

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
We just bought a house, and while moving I set two big totes of stuff on the gate of the moving truck. My wife, bless her heart, in an effort to be organized wrote in giant billboard sized words, "TOBACCO/CIGARS" on the sides of the totes.
Apparently it was a really effective advertisement because someone drove up while I was inside and snatched the tote containing all my pipes, ~25 lbs of tobacco, and about $200+ worth of handmade cigars. They even got the Amphora X-tra Lumberman my grandfather gave me.

So to sum it up, I have roughly an 8oz cellar at the moment, and 2 pipes I got for a song on the bay

My hateful anger cellar is about as full as it's ever been.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
We just bought a house, and while moving I set two big totes of stuff on the gate of the moving truck. My wife, bless her heart, in an effort to be organized wrote in giant billboard sized words, "TOBACCO/CIGARS" on the sides of the totes.
Apparently it was a really effective advertisement because someone drove up while I was inside and snatched the tote containing all my pipes, ~25 lbs of tobacco, and about $200+ worth of handmade cigars. They even got the Amphora X-tra Lumberman my grandfather gave me.

So to sum it up, I have roughly an 8oz cellar at the moment, and 2 pipes I got for a song on the bay

My hateful anger cellar is about as full as it's ever been.
I know how you feel and have my sympathy. About 20 years ago we moved and I had, among other things, a box containing 13 cans of Sullivan's Special Mixture. It disappeared along with some other stuff. In my case I'm sure the movers just grabbed a couple of random boxes and stole them. It's a shame that so many people are thieves of opportunity. :(

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This drawer represents nearly all of my "cellar", if you can even call it that:
cellar_drawer.jpg

17 tins of mostly Englishes and Virginias; not shown are two tins of Drucquer & Sons I picked up on the recent 20% off sale at SmokingPipes. About 2.5 lbs overall.

There are about 4 blends that I really love and could be content with, so my plan for now is just to deepen my cellar of those by a little bit each month.