PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was in the mood for a big bowl, so I picked my Schrauf's pipe which is (together with the MM corn cob General) the largest I have. Schrauf is the name of a tobacco & pipes shop in the beautiful city of Nuremberg, in Bavaria, south Germany. You can find there tobacco products and accessories from different vendors, own house blends and also house pipes. They are made of briar, big sized, sold at -very- affordable prices and they are unfinished / unpainted. The smoker decides whether he will leave them as they are and let them darken naturally through time or he will apply some kind of paint or oil on them. I chose the second and used (what else?) olive oil.
So, I have loaded it with a generous quantity of John Aylesbury mixture 777, and enjoying it together with a double dose of Greek/Turkish coffee, a special blend with spices in it.
To me personally, when I smoke my pipe, usually twice per day, one in the morning and one in the evening, it is more than something that gives me a feeling of satisfaction, it is closer to... happiness. Yes, I am happy when I smoke my pipe.
Nice weekend and good heart to all the good people.

View attachment 70388
The pipe looks amazing! You coated it with olive oil? Interesting. I have been using olive oil on my vulcanite stems, applying it every 6 smokes or so with a paper towel and then rubbing it in with a dry paper towel. It seems to work well in keeping the stems looking nice and black instead of faded and gross.

Now smoking MacBaren Latakia Rolls in a Peterson Shannon 150.

IMG_20210313_103807.jpg

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
The pipe looks amazing! You coated it with olive oil? Interesting. I have been using olive oil on my vulcanite stems, applying it every 6 smokes or so with a paper towel and then rubbing it in with a dry paper towel. It seems to work well in keeping the stems looking nice and black instead of faded and gross.
Now smoking MacBaren Latakia Rolls in a Peterson Shannon 150.

View attachment 70440

Thank you, this is as it was in the start, olive oil gives a darker coloring.

Schrauf unfinished.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.