PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
A couple of my more recent acquisitions...

IMG_3173.jpeg
Houtman Pilbara. This was bought via Kickstarter, Houtman is a small company based in Perth - Western Australia - and this version has a dial made of compressed Western Australian rock; so no two are alike. Took about 18 months from signing up for the campaign to actual delivery. Automatic winding with a Miyota movement.

IMG_3022.jpeg
Another Australian watch; this time from Melbourne, a microbrand based in, well, Melbourne Victoria. Quartz GMT with a Swiss Ronda movement.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since I retired all of my fancy watches are in a drawer somewhere. Exact time is not of interest to me.
Well let them out and post them! I'm sure they would be of interest to a few people on here.

this version has a dial made of compressed Western Australian rock; so no two are alike
Very nice ? What is that red arrow for?

Sea-Gull WuYi,
That has a classic look to it - very nice

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Well let them out and post them! I'm sure they would be of interest to a few people on here.

Very nice ? What is that red arrow for?

That has a classic look to it - very nice
The red arrow on the Melbourne is the 'GMT' hand; it's a second hour hand that can be set to show GMT or some other time zone if preferred. It's a 24h hand and is read against the digits on the bezel rather than the 12 hour makers on the dial. That picture was taken when I'd just received the box so it wasn't set properly.

In the photo below - taken on Thursday - it was just coming up to 14:00 in Brazil and the red arrow is showing that in the UK it is approaching 17:00.
IMG_3241.jpeg
Their design choice of only showing even hours on the bezel is not the best idea! Most such watches would at least have a '|' for the odd hours too. The other thing is the bezel rotates; so when travelling, rather than fiddling with setting the hand for a new time zone the bezel can simply be rotated.

(Of course, if you have a 12h bezel on a normal watch then you can use that to show 2 timezones without an extra hand.)

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I would not say “not well” just need finessing every few days?
my Seiko5 from probably ten years ago was that way, this new watch has not needed a tweak in a month ?
Do older Seikos not keep time particularly well? There is quite a few very affordable ones on eBay that have caught my eye.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since I got an iPhone about a dozen years ago, I wore no wrist watch until I got an Apple Watch mostly for the built in EKG, heart rate and blood saturation. So, as chasing noted, I used my iPhone for the time. Well, one exception, when I was reffing lacrosse, I had a Casio like the one didi posted on page 1.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since I got an iPhone about a dozen years ago, I wore no wrist watch until I got an Apple Watch mostly for the built in EKG, heart rate and blood saturation. So, as chasing noted, I used my iPhone for the time. Well, one exception, when I was reffing lacrosse, I had a Casio like the one didi posted on page 1.
...but now you feel yourself sucked into a new hobby/interest?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it's monitoring my health, I guess that's an interest. (not a hobby) Mike, I am not understanding the question, but it's late after a long day.