PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@mikethompson
My watch book shows a Nivada 25J triple date without a fourth hand. Is it possible that some Nivada triple dates didn't have a seconds hand?
20220322_083012.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Before my mother past away she gave me my grandfather's pocket watch. As I mentioned in another thread about grandfather's, I grew up never having a grandfather, they both died before I was born. Anyway, this watch was given to my grandfather from my grandmother on Christmas 1914. The back of the watch has his initials GH engraved and the inside is engraved as seen in the pic. It still keeps time too.
20220322_081815.jpg
20220322_081830.jpg
20220322_081703.jpg
Even though I grew up without him in my life, this is very important to me. My mother talked about him often and told me stories about him as I grew up. He was still in my life even though he physically wasn't present.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Scott, I have several Walthams in my pocket watch collection, mostly railroad grade but a few lesser models.

Your above piece has a really nice 'fancy' hand painted dial and matching fancy hands.

The caseback with the '20 Years Warranted' refers to the thickness of the rolled (filled) gold. It was guaranteed to last at least 20 years.

If I read the serial number correctly (16289692) I can tell you it is a grade 220, model 1894, made circa 1907 and has 15 jewelled bearings and the size is 12S. Run quantity was 2,000, total production of that model was 817,280.

By the way, the 'centre wheel' is solid gold, all others are brass!

I have some watch cases with only 10 years warranty (the minimum) and they still show no sign of 'brassing' or wearing through to the brass case.

A cracker of a watch you have, with family history to boot!

Regards,

Jay.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
@mikethompson
My watch book shows a Nivada 25J triple date without a fourth hand. Is it possible that some Nivada triple dates didn't have a seconds hand?
View attachment 135603
Honest answer is I don't know but other than the picture you posted from the book above I've never seen one with only H, M and date hand (although I think they made some with a small seconds sub-dial rather than a centre second hand.).

Like @cosmicfolklore I would be suspicious of the watch you posted without better evidence that it is genuine (and repairable).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Scott, I have several Walthams in my pocket watch collection, mostly railroad grade but a few lesser models.

Your above piece has a really nice 'fancy' hand painted dial and matching fancy hands.

The caseback with the '20 Years Warranted' refers to the thickness of the rolled (filled) gold. It was guaranteed to last at least 20 years.

If I read the serial number correctly (16289692) I can tell you it is a grade 220, model 1894, made circa 1907 and has 15 jewelled bearings and the size is 12S. Run quantity was 2,000, total production of that model was 817,280.

By the way, the 'centre wheel' is solid gold, all others are brass!

I have some watch cases with only 10 years warranty (the minimum) and they still show no sign of 'brassing' or wearing through to the brass case.

Regards,

Jay.
Thanks for the info Jay. The serial number is 18299692
20220322_081703.jpg
which in my watch book states it was manufactured in 1912.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Honest answer is I don't know but other than the picture you posted from the book above I've never seen one with only H, M and date hand (although I think they made some with a small seconds sub-dial rather than a centre second hand.).

Like @cosmicfolklore I would be suspicious of the watch you posted without better evidence that it is genuine (and repairable).
I agree. I'd pass on it too.
I couldn't find another triple date with only three hands in the book except watches with sub-dial seconds.

Also, who would know more about watches than someone who goes by timelord? Right?

Reactions: timelord

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
my grandfather's pocket watch.
Now *that* is a very cool family heirloom.

I agree with you whole heartedly Jay.

As for the Nivada,
I might have to pass on this one

I'd pass on it too.

I would be suspicious of the watch you posted without better evidence that it is genuine (and repairable).

Yup, definitely passing on it. I've got my other watches coming to tide me over. Plus I bought a new strap for my Swiss Army watch coming in a few days. The replacement strap I put on a while ago just doesn't fit or suit it.

P_20220322_185938.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We had a watch thread going a few years back from @cosmicfolklore that got closed due to the one year mark. So I'm bringing it back due to my watch obsession.

View attachment 93213
A Timex Weekender with a Barton leather quick release strap. My first watch.

Are these the same watches? I had no idea the Weekender had such a large face

69naqy.jpg

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Right on Scott, serial number 18299692 is a grade 620, model 1908 and was made circa 1912. Run quantity was 2,000 out of a total production run of 354,099.

15 jewelled movement, size 16s (most common size) and has a gilt finish. It has a Church regulator and a Breguet hairspring. It is pendant set (as opposed to lever set).

I'm pretty sure I have this model in my collection albeit with different dial & hands. Regards jewel count, the more jewels usually means a better movement, particularly with American watches. Basic watches have 7 jewels, the better railroad grade have upwards of 23 jewels. Anything with15 jewels and above in my view is a good watch.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Jay.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Right on Scott, serial number 18299692 is a grade 620, model 1908 and was made circa 1912. Run quantity was 2,000 out of a total production run of 354,099.

15 jewelled movement, size 16s (most common size) and has a gilt finish. It has a Church regulator and a Breguet hairspring. It is pendant set (as opposed to lever set).

I'm pretty sure I have this model in my collection albeit with different dial & hands. Regards jewel count, the more jewels usually means a better movement, particularly with American watches. Basic watches have 7 jewels, the better railroad grade have upwards of 23 jewels. Anything with15 jewels and above in my view is a good watch.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Jay.
Thank you Jay. ?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have probably posted these before but here are a couple go World War One 'trench watches' one being the first type that involved sticking a pocket watch in a leather case and wearing it on your wrist. The other one is later in the war but keeps prefect time still and is my daily watch. I put a new strap on it a few years ago since the old brown leather bracelet strap finally gave up the ghost. The pocket watch is a Masonic watch that again is pretty ancient and is yet another family number that somehow found its way to me. It also keeps pretty good time.

thumbnail-2.jpeg