PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Bengel : Which one are you asking about? The watch with the massive winder and black face from 1917 is 1 1/2 inches wide. The strap is held on by two heavy wire lugs that were soldered to the case. I have 2 of the watches in the leather cases from 1914 and they are both 2 1/4 inches wide but the flange of the leather case is slightly wider. Both 1914 watches have a shrapnel guard that goes over the watch before it was fitted into the case. The 1917 watch also has a shrapnel guard that fitted over the watches face which I took off when I fitted the new strap since it was designed to go on the leather bracelet configuration.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
2 of the watches in the leather cases from 1914 and they are both 2 1/4 inches wide but the flange of the leather case is slightly wider. Both 1914 watches have a shrapnel guard that goes over the watch before it was fitted into the case.
Those are big watches! They get worn?

Reactions: condorlover1

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This photo might be of some interest given @condorlover posting up his trench watches

69sjjr.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Bengel : Yes. They are the only watches I have and they all get used weekly. I have a couple of ancient pocket watches but since I so rarely wear a three piece suit these days I just don't wear a watch and chain as much as I used too in years gone past.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Looks like it's just a bad picture: is the second hand not overlapped on the minute hand? That 'blob' below the base of the date hand looks like the tail of the second hand.
I think you're right. I looked at the pic again in the book with a magnifying glass and that 'blob' in the center under the JUL does look like the tail of the second hand. Good eye lukasstrifeson.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 23, 2019
I think you're right. I looked at the pic again in the book with a magnifying glass and that 'blob' in the center under the JUL does look like the tail of the second hand. Good eye lukasstrifeson.

I've been a triple date fan for a long time, every time I lay eyes on one (picture or IRL) I like to spend a few extra seconds.

Rolex makes this perpetual one:

74_001.jpg

Obviously not something I will ever realistically own (you never know, I like buying the Powerball when it's over $500M - otherwise you're just wasting your money! :ROFLMAO:), but it's just a fantastically balanced dial to look at.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm pretty fickle on straps. Lately, I've been buying them on AliExpress. Takes about three weeks, but typically, very good quality straps (rubber, canvas, etc.) are less than $10 shipped.

Reactions: timelord

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm pretty fickle on straps. Lately, I've been buying them on AliExpress. Takes about three weeks, but typically, very good quality straps (rubber, canvas, etc.) are less than $10 shipped.
Have you tried Barton straps? I can't say enough Good things about their quick release straps.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Al, can you post a link to your AliExpress straps? And no @Ahi Ka there isn't an experiment coming.

Have you tried Barton straps? I can't say enough Good things about their quick release straps.

The new strap on my Swiss Army posted above is a Barton strap ?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Ahi Ka and didimauw

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

These rubber straps were all less than $5

Ray_Mears_Orange _Rubber (1).jpg

Ray_Mears_Ali_Rubber2.jpg

I have an Erika's MN elastic strap, they run about $70. This one from AliExpress was $5 delivered.

Icarus_MN_Strap.jpg

A Longines rubber strap for my Hydroconquest runs over $300. This knock-off, which is outstanding, was $25.

Etsy_Rubber (1).jpg

Etsy_Rubber (2).jpg