PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would research it if I actually gave a flying fuck. I am going on talking to people over the years who have tried to maintain a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle. most just don't stick to it. I don't care either way.

So, the guy up in the wild who blows animal's brains out to eat is defending the vegan, ha ha.
If you don’t give a flying fuck don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Reactions: rushx9 and JOHN72

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Game animals can. Trust me, they are far better at staying alive in the woods than any human will ever be. We are just another predator in their eyes, and believe me, they will win 95% of the time. We are just damn lucky that deer don't eat humans. We'd have been eradicated from this planet millenia ago.
Captive. Captive.....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I had a roommate in grad school who was a vegetarian also. She kept a big bottle of pond scum in the fridge that she drank, I think it was called spirillum or something like that. She was always eating weird stuff to give her the nutrients and stuff she wasn't getting from meat.
She also avoided the sun at all costs. So the stuff turned her green.

Having been in art departments all throughout college, I knew lots of vegetarians and vegans, but they were all having issues because of their lack of a proper diet. I mean, sure, you can say that it is ok to eat all vegetarian or vegan, but everyone I ever knew who ate this way had to amend something that they weren't getting.

Sure, sure, religious reasons, or you love animals... sure sure... we can spin all day on whether letting cows and sheep go back out into the wild is humane or not. but, it seems kind of weird for a guy who says that letting a cat stay outside is inhumane to make that argument.

Horses are such a weird thing to see people keeping nowadays. Most people who keep them just do so as field decorations. They are like the MySpace of work animals. And, I guess that makes donkeys the Yahoo Messenger of animals.
Who said turn them loose?! You’d still have to care for them, someone would. Have you ever heard of a farm rescue?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would research it if I actually gave a flying fuck. I am going on talking to people over the years who have tried to maintain a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle. most just don't stick to it. I don't care either way.

So, the guy up in the wild who blows animal's brains out to eat is defending the vegan, ha ha.
I'm not defending anything other than modern science. I'll trust peer reviewed research over your observations of a college roommate any day of the week.

I couldn't care less what BROBS eats. That's his responsibility.

And only a moron would aim for the head. Double lung is the ethical shot.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I may have posted this before, but when we had the shop, we had one of our gemstone venders come to visit. They were Indian, and my wife asked if they would like for me to cook them dinner. I was rather well known for my cooking, or at least my wife bragged bunches on me.

They said sure, but that they were vegetarian.
I thought of a few dishes I would make.
Then his wife said, and no acidic foods like tomatoes and pepper.
I was like... I can think of a couple of dishes.
Then she was like, and no onions.
I can't think of a damned thing to serve them. Maybe some rice or dry pasta.

But, I sauté an onion to make sauces, even fried potatoes requires an onions. or garlic. I mean, I guess I could cook some green beans or okra without an onion, but I'm not eating that tasteless shit. I'd have to dump a pound of salt on it first.
Low acid foods
  • soy, such as miso, soy beans, tofu, and tempeh.
  • yogurt and milk.
  • most fresh vegetables, including potatoes.
  • most fruits.
  • herbs and spices, excluding salt, mustard, and nutmeg.
  • beans and lentils.
  • some whole grains, such as millet, quinoa, and amaranth.
  • herbal teas.

• Love

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Captive. Captive.....
Yes, I was highlighting the difference in order to promote my agenda.

That being said, if everyone were harvesting game meat, there would not be anywhere near enough to maintain sustainable populations without dramatically reducing the level of consumption.

• Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes, I was highlighting the difference in order to promote my agenda.

That being said, if everyone were harvesting game meat, there would not be anywhere near enough to maintain sustainable populations without dramatically reducing the level of consumption.
?

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I may have posted this before, but when we had the shop, we had one of our gemstone venders come to visit. They were Indian, and my wife asked if they would like for me to cook them dinner. I was rather well known for my cooking, or at least my wife bragged bunches on me.

They said sure, but that they were vegetarian.
I thought of a few dishes I would make.
Then his wife said, and no acidic foods like tomatoes and pepper.
I was like... I can think of a couple of dishes.
Then she was like, and no onions.
I can't think of a damned thing to serve them. Maybe some rice or dry pasta.

But, I sauté an onion to make sauces, even fried potatoes requires an onions. or garlic. I mean, I guess I could cook some green beans or okra without an onion, but I'm not eating that tasteless shit. I'd have to dump a pound of salt on it first.
Indian and not eat onions!?

I went to Indian cookery classes at night school when I was in my twenties (don't know if they still do it but the Inner London Education Authority had this amazing range of evening classes available which covered everything from academic, through vocational and to just 'out of interest' - I love Indian food so thought it would be good to learn); anyway, the old Indian lady who taught us used an awful lot of onions in her recipes and all the local Asian (that's in UK sense of meaning from the Indian sub-continent) shops sold onions in enormous sacks.

I just struggle with the idea of an Indian not eating onions!

Yeh, right! But, there are thousands of diverse cultures with extremely different views on things in India.

When I last wrote that story, people thought I was the weird one for cooking an onion into every dish, but if you're not adding onion or garlic, you're missing out on a lot of flavor, flavor that many replace with salt.

Reactions: kanaia and BROBS

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
All this talk of cheese and I just had to go out get a nice big piece of Gorgonzola to have after dinner tonight. ? (wot, no blue cheese emoticon? what's the world coming to?)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Indian and not eat onions!?

I went to Indian cookery classes at night school when I was in my twenties (don't know if they still do it but the Inner London Education Authority had this amazing range of evening classes available which covered everything from academic, through vocational and to just 'out of interest' - I love Indian food so thought it would be good to learn); anyway, the old Indian lady who taught us used an awful lot of onions in her recipes and all the local Asian (that's in UK sense of meaning from the Indian sub-continent) shops sold onions in enormous sacks.

Yeah, all of those things are key components in A LOT of Indian cuisine, haha. Speaking of masters of meatless food. There are vegetarian Indian restaurants that can compete with Michelin star restaurants on the highest level.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Remember guys: 1) many people eat vegan cheese who are not vegans. 2) not all vegans are the same. There are those who eat healthy and those who do not. There are this who proselytize as if it were a religion and those who are chill. There is no point essentializing whole groups of people as the same.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Yeh, right! But, there are thousands of diverse cultures with extremely different views on things in India.

When I last wrote that story, people thought I was the weird one for cooking an onion into every dish, but if you're not adding onion or garlic, you're missing out on a lot of flavor, flavor that many replace with salt.
True enough about India.

I'm with you on the onion and garlic; can't imagine cooking without it. And if I'm doing a simple English style roast beef I'll roast some garlic as a veggie.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.