PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess veganism should be made against the rules, because it brings out an absurdity in members that I'd just rather not know about.

As a farmer, I just get pretty sick and tired of getting bantered about by people who do nothing close to what we do. I'll stand by a farmer and a rancher any day. It's easy to set in a chair and much on your vegan pizzas and make asinine remarks based on some conceptual notion of what farming or ranching is. Hell, half the country is so stupid that they think farmers are trying to keel them.
Wtf do you even farm? How big? I live in Iowa and my great grandfather was a cattle broker, so I think someone doesn’t know wtf they are talking about and it isn’t me.

Reactions: rushx9 and rajangan

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess veganism should be made against the rules, because it brings out an absurdity in members that I'd just rather not know about.

As a farmer, I just get pretty sick and tired of getting bantered about by people who do nothing close to what we do. I'll stand by a farmer and a rancher any day. It's easy to set in a chair and much on your vegan pizzas and make asinine remarks based on some conceptual notion of what farming or ranching is. Hell, half the country is so stupid that they think farmers are trying to keel them.
Why don’t you just exit this thread instead of having all these geritol moments all over everyone?

you know if I made a comment in a meat thread like you are someone would flip out and report me.

Reactions: rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good Lord, guys. Is it really so hard to debate something in a civil manner? Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they hate you or your lifestyle.

I don't understand what is so difficult about point, counterpoint. Why do name calling and stereotyping have to be involved? Can you not debate something with both passion and respect?

This is a topic that thoroughly interests me and this thread is well on it's way to being shutdown because people have to take things so personally and get all fuck you, no fuck you.

Just because BROBS is a vegan doesn't mean he is the one out there throwing paint on people

Just because cosmic is a farmer doesn't mean he is some evil bastard clogging the world's arteries

Just because I hunt doesn't mean I am some sadistic ass who revels in suffering

We need to talk to each other not some perverted vision of each other's lifestyle based on tired tropes and generalized stereotypes.

I mean, I'm not perfect either, but Good God.

Last edited:
Wtf do you even farm?
You may not have not have seen my posts about farming, but I grow corn, soy, and sometimes cotton, but I hate messing with cotton. I also have an orchard, apples and peaches... and in the next few years I will be processing muscadines when the rest of the vines start producing. I also have a booth at my local farmers market, where we bring all sort of vegetables and fruits, but the bulk of what we grow is processed cooperatively.

20 acres here, 60 up in North Alabama, and 60 in North Carolina... but as developers keep buying out farms all around us, it's very tempting to get out of it altogether. But, for now... it's what we do. It's a very expensive hobby, because it definitely doesn't pay much.

In the past I have helped with cattle, but we sold that off.

I am actually only posting today, because of the rain. I probably won't be posting much for a few months. When I disappear from here, that is usually what I am doing.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You may not have not have seen my posts about farming, but I grow corn, soy, and sometimes cotton, but I hate messing with cotton. I also have an orchard, apples and peaches... and in the next few years I will be processing muscadines when the rest of the vines start producing. I also have a booth at my local farmers market, where we bring all sort of vegetables and fruits, but the bulk of what we grow is processed cooperatively.

20 acres here, 60 up in North Alabama, and 60 in North Carolina... but as developers keep buying out farms all around us, it's very tempting to get out of it altogether. But, for now... it's what we do. It's a very expensive hobby, because it definitely doesn't pay much.

In the past I have helped with cattle, but we sold that off.

I am actually only posting today, because of the rain. I probably won't be posting much for a few months. When I disappear from here, that is usually what I am doing.
This is what I’m saying. That’s farming on such a low level it’s barely a business

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they hate you or your lifestyle.
Maybe if you didn't take it so damned seriously. The thread obviously didn't start out as a "what brand of vegan cheese is best?" It was about how stupid vegan cheese is. You guys are the ones trespassing on an anti-vegan thread. If it was a serious vegan thread, I would never have posted.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Guess that’s Darwin for ya
So it’s true for you, animal suffering is insufferable, human suffering is part of the way it works.

You realize humans have been eating meat for a shit-ton (that’s science speak) of years, right?

Okay, I’m done with this. I have a juice hamburger and bread and butter pickles waiting for me.

Good luck with the Vegan koolaid

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Trust me, hunters wound animals too with poor shot placement.
Yes they do. Poor shot placement (often a result of poor decision making) is a big issue. Personally, I'd rather go home empty handed than wound something, but if you hunt long enough, it will happen eventually, and it's heart breaking when it does. I remember every single one, which thankfully for me, has been not many.

Unfortunately there are many hunters out there with so little respect for the animal they are happy to lob obstructed 400 yard shots at any patch of brown they can see through their scope. It's shameful.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I also want to add that the reason starvation is an issue in the meat-based food production environment… Is because all we grow in our farm fields for the most part is feed for cattle, not food for people!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Maybe if you didn't take it so damned seriously. The thread obviously didn't start out as a "what brand of vegan cheese is best?" It was about how stupid vegan cheese is. You guys are the ones trespassing on an anti-vegan thread. If it was a serious vegan thread, I would never have posted.
That's why my first post in the thread was about how shitty vegan cheese is. The conversation evolved (devolved?) into a topic I take interest in, so I took part, just as you have.

Trespassing, haha. I'll take your advice and not interpret that seriously. Sorry, it's hard to interpret sarcasm via text.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Future fantasy does not feed people today. Full stop.
You're absolutely correct about that.

But for me, that is not an excuse for failing to do my best to elicit change. We certainly can't flip some switch and make it happen without what would be devastating consequences, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
LOL, there's 60 Indian restaurants in Edmonton. There's probably 600 in London.
I just did a quick search and according to zomato (one of these food ordering, collection and delivery services) there are around 2200 Indian Restaurants in London.

Last official(ish) figures for UK indicated around 12,000 for the UK.

Oh, and the first Indian Restaurant was the 'Hindoostane Coffee House' which opened in 1810.

Reactions: rajangan
Status
Not open for further replies.