PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
True enough about India.

I'm with you on the onion and garlic; can't imagine cooking without it. And if I'm doing a simple English style roast beef I'll roast some garlic as a veggie.
Southerners with a strong connection to the English seem to like very bland vegetables and meats. They use no seasoning at all. Even in friend foods. It's very odd to me. I mean, I could probably get used to it, but it lacks a certain passion, IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Yeah, all of those things are key components in A LOT of Indian cuisine, haha. Speaking of masters of meatless food. There are vegetarian Indian restaurants that can compete with Michelin star restaurants on the highest level.
When I worked in Euston (London) my boss was (and she still is) vegetarian so if we had a team lunch we went round the corner to a wonderful place called Ghandi's which was Indian, vegetarian and had an absolutely fantastic lunchtime buffet.

• Love

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
It always make me wonder why Vegans are so virulent in their beliefs.

If the thread was titled Non-dairy Cheese it wouldn't have turned into this pissing match which is mostly a bunch of defensive and insecure dudes who feel threatened by other people's lifestyles. They're the evangelicals in this room.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yes, I was highlighting the difference in order to promote my agenda.

That being said, if everyone were harvesting game meat, there would not be anywhere near enough to maintain sustainable populations without dramatically reducing the level of consumption.
You realize without feed lots and industrial farming starvation would go through the roof.

Covid caused a blip in a fragile agronomy market. The specter of starvation is real for a wide swath that can’t afford Michelin restaurants, let alone their tires.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
When I worked in Euston (London) my boss was (and she still is) vegetarian so if we had a team lunch we went round the corner to a wonderful place called Ghandi's which was Indian, vegetarian and had an absolutely fantastic lunchtime buffet.
There are few places outside of India itself with Indian cuisine to rival that of London. IIRC Gordon Ramsay mentioned that there were something like 60 Indian restaurants in the London area. One of a which (which was vegetarian) was a finalist for some kind of Best Restaurant in London show he made.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You realize without feed lots and industrial farming starvation would go through the roof.

Covid caused a blip in a fragile agronomy market. The specter of starvation is real for a wide swath that can’t afford Michelin restaurants, let alone their tires.
That is correct.

However if those feed lots and industrial farms were replaced with vegetables, starvation would be dramatically reduced. As would our impact on the climate.

A tall, and likely unattainable order, to be sure. But it remains true.

Reactions: rushx9
Read back through this thread and I think you will find plenty of virulence on both side of the proverbial table.
You've never seen people throwing red paint on people in the streets for wearing leather or fur. You've obviously never seen vegans take over a whole section of a grocery store to protest meat.

We can't argue politics nor religion, so this is just one area allowed, where we can argue, banter, and build some comradery over a split issue. Vegans are just an easier target, because they'll make themselves known, and it is obviously a decision, so it's not like we are making fun of something someone can't help.

• Sad

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hmmm, you are obviously a farmer and rancher to make such a stupid declaration.
As the one willing to do (and having done) the research on the subject, I have to disagree.

Most of the information I've gathered on the subject has come directly from farmers. Real ones that is, not corporate food factories.

Also, have I called anything you've said stupid? Is that really necessary?

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Southerners with a strong connection to the English seem to like very bland vegetables and meats. They use no seasoning at all. Even in friend foods. It's very odd to me. I mean, I could probably get used to it, but it lacks a certain passion, IMO.
I blame my dad; he spent WWII in India and SE Asia; was in Japan immediately after the surrender and also spent a lot of time in West and North Africa and the Middle East. Even as a child of the 1960s (generally not remembered as a time when there was any 'interesting' food in the UK) I was brought up on exotic foods, fruit and vegetables (helped being in the RAF there was usually a way of getting things flown in...).

He was also a very good cook and picked up a lot of recipes whilst he was ostensibly keeping aeroplanes flying during the war. Nope, can't do bland food!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You've never seen people throwing red paint on people in the streets for wearing leather or fur. You've obviously never seen vegans take over a whole section of a grocery store to protest meat.

We can't argue politics nor religion, so this is just one area allowed, where we can argue, banter, and build some comradery over a split issue. Vegans are just an easier target, because they'll make themselves known, and it is obviously a decision, so it's not like we are making fun of something someone can't help.
There are fur protestors here all the time protesting trapping. As well as people protesting sustainable harvesting of animals.

I'm not in any way defending radical tactics. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think civil and erudite discussion is far more valuable. I was simply pointing out that the topic often elicits a strong and opinionated reaction from people on both sides, which, as evidenced in this thread, is clearly the case.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
There are few places outside of India itself with Indian cuisine to rival that of London. IIRC Gordon Ramsay mentioned that there were something like 60 Indian restaurants in the London area. One of a which (which was vegetarian) was a finalist for some kind of Best Restaurant in London show he made.
60? That's a very low estimate. There's probably that number in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets alone! I think he's out by at least a factor of 10 or 20!

edit: I suppose he might have been referring to Central London (i.e. Westminster and the City of London).

Reactions: rushx9 and rajangan
I guess veganism should be made against the rules, because it brings out an absurdity in members that I'd just rather not know about.

As a farmer, I just get pretty sick and tired of getting bantered about by people who do nothing close to what we do. I'll stand by a farmer and a rancher any day. It's easy to set in a chair and much on your vegan pizzas and make asinine remarks based on some conceptual notion of what farming or ranching is. Hell, half the country is so stupid that they think farmers are trying to keel them.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
LOL, there's 60 Indian restaurants in Edmonton. There's probably 600 in London.

Reactions: BROBS and timelord

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Guess that’s Darwin for ya

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As a farmer, I just get pretty sick and tired of getting bantered about by people who do nothing close to what we do. I'll stand by a farmer and a rancher any day. It's easy to set in a chair and much on your vegan pizzas and make asinine remarks based on some conceptual notion of what farming or ranching is. Hell, half the country is so stupid that they think farmers are trying to keel them.
That is certainly understandable. I don't think anyone here is saying that farming/ranching is not hard work, or that many farmers don't have the world's best interest in mind.

But as I'm sure you are aware, there are many different kinds of farmers. Some methods I believe are better than others when it comes to human health, the treatment of animals, and the impact on the climate.

And I'll pass on the vegan pizza, thanks. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.