PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A couple of days ago a friend popped by for a walk, followed by dinner and watching a couple of episodes of Genius, the mini series about the life and times of Albert Einstein. She got it into her head that she wanted vegan pizza, an abomination to the rules of nature, one which also necessitated vegan cheese.
We both agreed the result was beyond awful. The vegan cheese used had a texture between white glue and running snot. I've no idea what the hell vegan cheese is made from, but I imagine a stormy night, a kite, and a mad scientist's laboratory were involved.

Does there exist a vegan cheese that is not thoroughly disgusting?

Is there a defense for vegan cheese?

Why does vegan cheese exist at all?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It’s just like that stupid fake meat people eat. Uh, my meat comes from plants too, I just let the biological workings of a cow do the transformation not a test tube.

BTW, if being a Vegan is so awesome, why do they have fake burgers, fake bacon, fake hot dogs and whatever else they can concoct.

Finally, you’d be surprised how much garbage Vegans actually consume. Oreo’s anyone?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Vegan food for dogs and cats. Another topic to go crazy.....................The governments, they advise us, and the citizens we cry of happiness......................We will end up living in tribes. I love goat's milk and cheese, sincerely. I was lucky to, my grandfather had a grange.................But of course, I respect the vegan mentality.............Amen...........

Reactions: sablebrush52
We have a vegan health food store/ restaurant in down town B'ham. I have to go there with my wife when she picks up her soap making oils. The first thing I always notice is that everyone looks so sickly, pocked up skin, greyish skin color, either anorexic or weirdly proportioned body fat. I am not sold on being vegan being a healthy alternative. If they chose this lifestyle for health reasons, I think they've proved them self wrong.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Several years ago my boss and I were visiting a business partner in Jakarta; the week before another colleague of ours (L.) had been there too.

Sorting out where to go for dinner our Indonesian host asked if we had any special dietary requirements. No came our replies. Oh good, it's just that L. is a vegetarian and it caused a few problems; anyway, why is he a vegetarian?

My boss starts on an explanation concerning animal welfare etc. At which point out host said "Not eat animals? They're animals; that's what they are for"! Anyway, my boss was getting nowhere so I just pointed out the L.'s wife is Indian and a Hindu. "Oh, it's for religious reasons, that's OK then". And off we went for a lovely meal at which L. would have pretty much found nothing he could eat!

I may have posted this before, but when we had the shop, we had one of our gemstone venders come to visit. They were Indian, and my wife asked if they would like for me to cook them dinner. I was rather well known for my cooking, or at least my wife bragged bunches on me.

They said sure, but that they were vegetarian.
I thought of a few dishes I would make.
Then his wife said, and no acidic foods like tomatoes and pepper.
I was like... I can think of a couple of dishes.
Then she was like, and no onions.
I can't think of a damned thing to serve them. Maybe some rice or dry pasta.

But, I sauté an onion to make sauces, even fried potatoes requires an onions. or garlic. I mean, I guess I could cook some green beans or okra without an onion, but I'm not eating that tasteless shit. I'd have to dump a pound of salt on it first.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A couple of days ago a friend popped by for a walk, followed by dinner and watching a couple of episodes of Genius, the mini series about the life and times of Albert Einstein. She got it into her head that she wanted vegan pizza, an abomination to the rules of nature, one which also necessitated vegan cheese.
We both agreed the result was beyond awful. The vegan cheese used had a texture between white glue and running snot. I've no idea what the hell vegan cheese is made from, but I imagine a stormy night, a kite, and a mad scientist's laboratory were involved.

Does there exist a vegan cheese that is not thoroughly disgusting?

Is there a defense for vegan cheese?

Why does vegan cheese exist at all?
Yes there is good vegan cheese.
however it’s hard to find... you probably got Daiya.
Also with vegan cheese on pizza: the restaurants often don’t understand that vegan cheese is not cheese. You don’t want a thick layer of it, just a sprinkling.

I actually usually get pizza with no cheese at all

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Vegan cheese is simply their latest step towards self elimination. I don't know who thought of Veganism and that idea should of had a still birth. No meat, while I am not a fan, is somewhat reasonable. But no milk products, or eggs, or whatever I simply cannot comprehend.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
We have a vegan health food store/ restaurant in down town B'ham. I have to go there with my wife when she picks up her soap making oils. The first thing I always notice is that everyone looks so sickly, pocked up skin, greyish skin color, either anorexic or weirdly proportioned body fat. I am not sold on being vegan being a healthy alternative. If they chose this lifestyle for health reasons, I think they've proved them self wrong.
Hahahaha dr cosmic over here.
probably none of those people are even vegan did you ask them? Are you because you go in the store?

doctors know it’s a healthier choice.. if they don’t they are either a hick, misinformed, not up to date with the correct available medical journals, or all 3.

Reactions: rushx9 and JOHN72

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There’s good...

I dare you to eat a slice of that and say it’s not delicious. ?
Challenge accepted. If I can find it. Believe me I want you to be right. American diets desperately need to move in a more plant based direction, for myriad reasons, and a fine tasting plant based cheese (or rather a smattering of them) could go miles in making that a reality.

However, I am still skeptical, as your palate has no frame of reference. If the only cheese you eat is vegan cheese, then the slightest improvement would seem magical. Whereas I regularly have small snippets of actual smoked gouda, aged gouda, goat cheese, smoked cheddar, beautiful asiagos, incredible parmesans, delightful mozzarella, etc. Anything less than what can be purchased in your average grocery store's "fancy" cheese section, will seem a letdown.

But if it's remotely palatable, it will certainly be a step in the right direction, so I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.