PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yes there are a wide range of shitty to extremely shitty vegan cheeses. I will definitely admit that. ?
Cheese is a tough one. Not only does most every plant based option fail miserably on replicating taste and especially texture, it is extraordinarily difficult to find real cheese that you can assure is ethically produced. If such a thing even truly exists.

Anyone who's had kids can likely attest to how much humans like constantly having their tits pumped. Spoiler: NOT MUCH.

Admittedly, I do eat cheese, and make an effort to vet the product, but like all men, I am human and cannot always find everything I would like to find to create what I want to create on the plate without occasionally using items that may not fit into my vision of ethics. But I make an effort, which is more than I can say for most.

Any man here who says he doesn't occasionally engage in something he finds unethical on most days, is, quite simply, a liar.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Cheese is a tough one. Not only does most every plant based option fail miserably on replicating taste and especially texture, it is extraordinarily difficult to find real cheese that you can assure is ethically produced. If such a thing even truly exists.

Anyone who's had kids can likely attest to how much humans like constantly having their tits pumped. Spoiler: NOT MUCH.

Admittedly, I do eat cheese, and make an effort to vet the product, but like all men, I am human and cannot always find everything I would like to find to create what I want to create on the plate without occasionally using items that may not fit into my vision of ethics. But I make an effort, which is more than I can say for most.
I know you do. And the world is a better place for it. ?
We need more people with your viewpoint. Then we need those people to become vegan hahahah ?‍♂️

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Challenge accepted. If I can find it. Believe me I want you to be right. American diets desperately need to move in a more plant based direction, for myriad reasons, and a fine tasting plant based cheese (or rather a smattering of them) could go miles in making that a reality.

However, I am still skeptical, as your palate has no frame of reference. If the only cheese you eat is vegan cheese, then the slightest improvement would seem magical. Whereas I regularly have small snippets of actual smoked gouda, aged gouda, goat cheese, smoked cheddar, beautiful asiagos, incredible parmesans, delightful mozzarella, etc. Anything less than what can be purchased in your average grocery store's "fancy" cheese section, will seem a letdown.

But if it's remotely palatable, it will certainly be a step in the right direction, so I'm more than willing to give it a shot.
Mmmmm... a block of potato starch!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I know you do. And the world is a better place for it. ?
We need more people with your viewpoint. Then we need those people to become vegan hahahah ?‍♂️
A world full of vegans will never exist. However, a world where most people can make the slightest effort to learn more about where their food comes from, how it impacts climate change, and how they can eat what they want with a significant reduction in animal cruelty, I believe, is a possibility.

But not an easy one. It will require a radical change in not only diligence and attitude, but also the take down of massive corporations that are a staple of the world economy. A tall order to be sure, but at the end of the day, all of the control rests with every individual. Unfortunately, individual change in the name of collective benefit is all but lost in this world.

Reactions: hairvise and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A world full of vegans will never exist. However, a world where most people can make the slightest effort to learn more about where their food comes from, how it impacts climate change, and how they can eat what they want with a significant reduction in animal cruelty, I believe, is a possibility.

But not an easy one. It will require a radical change in not only diligence and attitude, but also the take down of massive corporations that are a staple of the world economy. A tall order to be sure, but at the end of the day, all of the control rests with every individual.
Well, we already see corporations accepting it with the impossible whopper and other vegan products. It’s only a matter of time until vegan is cheaper for them, and they make a big push. Honestly with a fast food item, it can be even harder to tell it’s vegan with all their other crap on it haha

Reactions: rushx9 and JOHN72

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm much healthier since going vegetarian and feel even better since I went full vegan.
My cholesterol is finally in check.
I had a heart attack at 37 from high blood pressure and a cholesterol related clot, and now have a stent propping my right atria open.
I didn't really WANT to go vegan, and still miss the flavor of many of my favorite foods, but I really DON'T want to have another heart attack either. So I'm glad that companies are making so many plant based options. And I've been surprised by how much I like many of them, some even better than the meat versions. Pork used to give me the worst heartburn, but vegan chorizo has all of the flavor with none of the pain. Tofu is absolutely delicious when prepared and seasoned well. This vegan Hidden Valley Ranch I just picked up tastes better than the original. While I only barely tolerated almond, coconut, and soy milks, I like oat milk better than the cow stuff. Oat milk yogurt is fantastic.
I will admit that I've had some horrendous vegan alternatives, and most vegan cheese is not very good, but I've also been impressed by a couple of brands.
I really don't know why folks assume that everyone that doesn't want to eat animals and animal byproducts should only be allowed to eat salads and rice. Vegans don't scoff at meat eaters for putting lettuce on their burgers.
It astounds me that non-vegans will learn about a vegan product and get outright angry about it.. Equating the existence of a health-food with slapping their granny.
Also, aside from the eternal shaming war between vegans and meatatarians, there is also a whole subgroup of humans that are lactose intolerant or sensitive to milk proteins. I am also one of those humans. I don't mind my "cheese" being a little gluey if it means I'm not farting myself to death everynight!
Oh, and I definitely don't eat oreos... Until recently, the filling was made of lard. Now it's some amalgam of whipped hydrogenated transfats.
I've seen plenty of self-proclaimed vegans that do binge on fried potatoes and other processed junk food in place of meals, and almost as many that eat meat when no one's looking. But I'm glad that plant based alternative foods exist. It's nice to have flavorful, heart-healthy options available when you need them.
Heart disease sucks, and if you have a healthy ticker you should count your blessings. If you are like me, then we can count our blessings together that it's now easier and more convenient to eat plant based foods than ever, with far more options than just salads or beans and rice.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
There are some good ones now. I wouldn't make a pizza with them, but they can be delicious in a quesadilla.
Like many newfangled things, may be more suitable for younger audiences.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well, we already see corporations accepting it with the impossible whopper and other vegan products. It’s only a matter of time until vegan is cheaper for them, and they make a big push. Honestly with a fast food item, it can be even harder to tell it’s vegan with all their other crap on it haha
Progress has been made for sure, but we are a long way from the finish line.

And yeah, a vegan patty slathered with mayonaisse, GMO veggies out the ass, smashed between two massive carbohydrate balloons with a side of starch fried in oil is not exactly a huge step toward living past 55, hahaha.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Also important to note that none of these changes can, on their own, prevent an early death via fat-fuckery. Without portion control (which is where I struggle the most) you still have a lot to work on.

I eat as ethically as I can, and as healthy as I can outside special occasions, and I'm still ridiculously overweight with high blood pressure.

No diet can save you from a lack of exercise and portion control.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
My kiddo is severely allergic to milk protein. So many vegan cheeses absolutely suck. This is the only one we liked after six years of searching.

Miyoko’s Creamery: Cultured Vegan Pepper Jack Slices​

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: rushx9 and JOHN72

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Also important to note that none of these changes can, on their own, prevent an early death via fat-fuckery. Without portion control (which is where I struggle the most) you still have a lot to work on.

I eat as ethically as I can, and as healthy as I can outside special occasions, and I'm still ridiculously overweight with high blood pressure.

No diet can save you from a lack of exercise and portion control.
As with anything, moderation is the key...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
modern_times_double_burger.0.jpg

EDIT: This is a photo of a vegan cheeseburger. QUICK! UNLIKE UNLIKE!!!!!!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Whereas I regularly have small snippets of actual smoked gouda, aged gouda, goat cheese, smoked cheddar, beautiful asiagos, incredible parmesans, delightful mozzarella, etc. Anything less than what can be purchased in your average grocery store's "fancy" cheese section, will seem a letdown.

But if it's remotely palatable, it will certainly be a step in the right direction, so I'm more than willing to give it a shot.
It's not gonna be as good as all those beautiful $20 per lb cheeses, but it's still good. Better than the average generic store brand at least. But if it makes a "Meatless Monday" a more enjoyable experience for some, it's a step in the right direction. And, as you said, if you've given up real cheese for personal reasons, it great... I mean, compared to most other vegan cheeses.
With all of the advancements in the last few years, I expect these vegan gourmet cheeses could catch up to the dairy versions in the near future.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.