Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
COMING THIS WEEK!!
The First Pax Virtual Tobacco Crawl - August 2014
August Crawl Schedule
Friday August 1: Old Dark Fire (Sponsor/Critic:misterlowercase)

Friday August 8: Nuns (Sponsor: (Sponsor/Critic: Pax and Rsuninv)

Friday August 15: Jacknife plug) (Sponsor/Critic: Linconbark)

Friday August 23: Peterson Perfect Plug (Sponsor/Critic: catyrpelius)
The Smoking Texan will host a realtime, online kickoff meeting 9pm tex time. (Tex, does your handle refer to your habit or do your self perception of your physique? :laughat:
Some crawlers have chosen to wait until the kickoff date before cracking their tins. Others may smoke the blend in advance, so as to have comment ready for the start date. The choice is up to you.
I do think it would be helpful if the sponsor critiques (those who nominated the blends) could chime in for the Friday kickoff of their blends. (BTW, we're inventing nomenclature as we go. Feel free to toss in your ideas.)

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hey all, very excited for this to kick off. I won't be able to participate in the real time this Friday due to traveling, busy week having taken the bar this week, but will be participating and following along as I can.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi Lincolnsbark:
Hey, thanks for thinking about us but as excited as I am about this months First Crawl, I'm more excited about you taking the bar. I assume you completed the exams and are now kicking back? Congratulations. Let us know how you do.
Question to those of you who have smoked Old Dark Fired: Should it be dried before smoking? If so, half an hour, a day or what is suggested?
I'm thinking of smoking my first bowl on the way to work in the morning and another back home. I may go flyfishing, and if so, will post before the realtime kickoff.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
For those that got with me on the tin share, their shares are going out today. They know who they are.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Dark Stoved are tobaccos that are as the name suggests, heated and usually pressed along with other blending leaves. Dark Navy Flake from McClellends is a good example. There are numerous you tube vids from various blenders that explain and more importantly show exactly how it's done. I'm challenged when it comes to posting links so perhaps I can get some help here. Stoving mellows an otherwise sharp leaf and makes it easier to enjoy.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Guys i jumped the gun and smoked the ODF tonight lol sorry i couldn't help it. It was a gorgeous day. so ill post up my review but i wont link it on here yet. or should i just wait until tomorrow?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Guys, I might not be around for the real time tonight, but I sampled the tobacco and have posted a snapshot review here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired-pruss-snapshot-review?replies=1#post-654247
I'll chime into the discussion as I can. I can't wait to see/hear what y'all thought.
-- Pat

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
For week one in October what say we set the theme to dark Stoved Virginias?
Hey settersbrace I didn't see your post before I sent mine. Which are your favorite stoved?

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I smoked the ODF on the way to work this morning. I really liked it. I have to confess that I opened this when I first got it and smoked a few bowls. Every time I am impressed with the intense hit of flavour. I do have to work it to get it lit but once it gets going it smokes relatively maintenance free. I have not been breaking it up significantly just ripping it a few times and stuffing. This evening maybe I’ll try pulling it apart in strands. Anyways I am at work now so I need to stop playing on the internet. I’ll put my full thoughts on it at 9 central time tonight but overall it is a really good, pleasing and satisfying smoke.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
tex try and cube cut the flake and see how that works out for you. I did the same thing I stuffed it and i had a hard time keeping it going. Cube cut will lit better and expand more evenly.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I got some in my car I'll try shredding that and let it sit thirty minutes before I headed home like Rsuninv suggests for the drive home and then this evening ill cube cut it and see which works best

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I rubbed mine out to the same consistency as rsuninv and tamped it fairly tight. I had no problem keeping it lit. My moisture level was dry to the touch but still spongy and springy.
-- Pat

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I smoked two bowls of this last night. The first bowl I folded and stuffed, but I had a very very hard time keeping this burning once I pased the half bowl mark. The second bowl I cubed cut and that worked fantastic. This weekend I'm going to try rubbing some out just to see what happens but I think cubed cut is going to be the way to go.
I really enjoyed smoking this. My pallet isn't attuned enough to pick out perticular flavors in pipe tobacco yet, but this one really impressed me. I get pretty strong flavors of nuts and brown sugar/molasses with a nice tang.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I'm going to have some in a bit in this stanwell.
odf11-600x448.jpg

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I tried the rubbing it out like rsuninv suggested on my lunch break and that smoked great. It lite up great and held a constant temp while providing a nice steady stream of smooth cool smoke. This evening I will try the cube cuting method. I assume that means get a few sheets stack them and cut them into cube shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.