Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
14937_10152597943142889_6431221940527934161_n.jpg

10561633_10152597943222889_3705097435629751028_n.jpg

10556241_10152597943262889_4854582398185158382_n.jpg

10271619_10152597943417889_1240619884929432289_n.jpg

Mac baren - HH Old Dark Fired
Tin Note: If you ever been to a good Italian restaurant then your no stranger to the fresh bread and sweet oil vinegar you get before your meal. Well this blend to me smelt just like that. Although I love that as an appetizer I am not entirely sure its what I like my tobacco to smell like so i gave it a 2 out of 4
Initial Light: I had no problems getting the pipe lit and to my surprise I was hit immediately with a wonderful flavor resembling the sweet grass taste of a sugar cane. I was shocked that a tobacco that smelt like vinegar would end up tasting like sugar cane amazing. 4 out of 4
Mid-Smoke: Although the smoke isn't thick and creamy, at this point the flavor is just taking over and shows no signs of stopping. The sweetness from the Virginia pops up over the earthy tone of the burley, Leaving a full satisfying smoke packed with just the right amount of sweetness and boldness. However I had a hard time keeping the pipe lit and had to relight twice none the less it's a 3 out of 4
Bottom of the Bowl: The smoke is much creamier now and the Virginia is out to play full throttle. It popped out a lot more and now leaves a sweet after taste in your mouth after every puff out. The smoke is much more filling and flavorful easily a 4 out of 4
Room Note: My wife popped out to show me something and this point I think I had a little to much of the Whiskey cause I don't remember what she said. But I did ask her about the room note nodding with a boyish smile, she said 1 out of 4 but forget that I like this blend to much so i made it a 2 out of 4 Marriage is about compromise after all.
Dottle: Nice Ashy finish plain and simple.
Smoking Duration: Crap, I totally forgot to record this (how much did i drink?) It was a small bowl so I'd say it was a good 30min.
Overall: This blend was an odd one for me because it made my "test sheet" fail in some ways. It appears that my senses are in conflict with this blend. My nose does not like it but my taste-buds are in love and crave it. However, I will age and cellar this blend even if the record shows an arguable in flavor though agreeable in smell, score of 11 out of 20.
That is it I hope this review helps you and I will limit myself to one glass of scotch for reviewing next time.

Smokeybear.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
First off, I love those review sheaths you have created. I would love to create some myself. Also, I was lucky enough to receive some of this (ready rubbed but not sure how it defers from the full flake) and it is a nice enjoyable smoke. Love your review and look forward to reading more in the future.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I think your drying time was way short even with rubbing it out. When I rub this stuff I let it dry for at least an hour and if I'm going to fold & stuff then I leave it out at least two hours or I nuke a flake for 6-8 seconds in a small microwave and when it cools off it's usually good to go. Generally with ODF when you think it's too dry, it isn't. Unless it's microwaved it is definitely not an immediate gratification process.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I've never found microwaving to hurt a damp flake although those with hyper-sophisticated palates might well differ. ODF along with many other flakes have already had a lot of heat applied to them in the manufacturing process so a little more shouldn't hurt anything.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I just fired up my first bowl of ODF and it wasn't too bad. I'm not a burley guy, so I wasn't overly impressed. Being a Mac Baren blend, I opted to give it a go in my calabash and it smoked real cool. I rubbed it out about an hour before firing it up.
Sweet, earthy taste. VAs took a backseat in taste profile all together which kinda left me feeling a bit let down. I could smoke this regularly, but after finishing the first bowl I probably wouldn't buy it again though.
Not bad, but nothing great. See if it grows on me after smoking this for a week straight.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Smokey, I like the review very much, and think your review sheets are a great tool. Please keep'em coming! I love ODF and smoke it a few times every week, though lately I've been smoking the ready-rubbed and it doesn't seem to need any (or much) drying time. And as you already know, it goes great with whiskey and bourbon! Your photos are excellent, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.