Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's still August, right?
Whew.
Okay, so after playing hooky for the last two weeks, I finally caught up with the end of the VaBur trail... You know what I learned? VaBurs don't do anything for me. They smell nice enough, and when prepped right they burn well, and long, and provide a nice milky smoke consistency. But I find them boring.
The 3P's was a lovely old-school plug with amazing density. It had a pleasing aroma of lightly stewed fruit, as well as a nutty quality. I prepped it using my Chinese cleaver and cube cut the plug, allowing the cubes to dry for fifteen minutes before packing into my Savinelli Deluxe Milano Liverpool. I only packed the bowl half-way, and that's a good thing because those cubes expanded to over 2/3 of the bowl height once I got the charring light out of the way. Overall, I was disappointed with the flavour and aroma of this tobacco as nothing leapt forward to claim my taste-buds as prize. It was a good, easy burning, and clingy smoke but with no stand-out flavours for me.
I wanted to like Jacknife Plug. I loved the look of the cake when I opened the tin. I enjoyed the slightly vinegary/tangy sweetness of the tobacco, especially as it had some fruit notes poking through. Again, I cube cut this plug and stuffed and tamped to 2/3 full into a post family era Barling Canadian. This tobacco leapt to the light and was a smooth and easy burner from top to bottom. Again, it was a fine smoke, but I was bored by the flavours. It just wasn't delivering any excitement to my palate. I had very few relights on this bowl, and those I did were the result of me talking more and smoking less.
In short, there is nothing wrong with these tobaccos, they just aren't my bag. But I'm richer for having explored them, evaluated them, and moved on from them.
My top four VaBurs?
1. Haddo's Delight

2. HU Director's Cut

3. Escudo

4. .... Shit. Wrong month.
1. Bell's 3 Nuns

2. GLP's Jacknife Plug

3. MB's ODF

4. Peterson's 3Ps
-- Pat

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It was a fun month of tobacco tasting. For me it was:

1. ODF

2. 3P

3. Jackknife Plug

4. 3 Nuns

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The rankings are all over the place. I'm thinking we can calculate a final ranking by giving 4 points for each first ranked, 3 for each second ranked, etc. Does this make sense?
I'll wait until September for final calculations, unless someone wants to volunteer to be the score keeper.
Now, I gotta make a call to 4Noggins and get Septembers blends.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Final averages (these obviously don't mean too much as everyone has their own grading scale but here they are FWIW):
ODF= 8.05

3N= 7.88

JKP= 8

PPP= 7

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank you Lincolnsbark.
Kevin was kind enough to make this thread a sticky. Per your requests, we'll use this thread to provide instruction and archive monthly results for the tobacco crawls.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
November 2014 Selection Team

Theme:?

Stosho

Ruger414

Dread

SailorJeremy
December 2014 Selection Team

Theme:?