PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The September tobacco crawl is planned to be an organized introduction to pipe tobacco. The crawl could extend to more than one month, if members would like. I'm posting now so that we have time to organize, choose blends, and procure them. Feel free to start signing up, just by saying "I'm In"
The idea is to survey the classic blend types, starting with the two foundations, a straight Virginian and a Burley based blend. Will then add two other blends, perhaps VaPer and an English. We might want to select blends that are Perique and Latakia heavy, so as to make the taste more easily identifiable than a a more subtle, subdued blend.
It will be tough, if not impossible, to come to a consensus on the best representative blend in a category, so declared members will have final say by order of seniority. Everyone who declares will eventually get to choose, so this seems fairest to me. What say you?
I believe the following members are next up. They can entertain nominations or just pick their favorites or perhaps pick one they've always wanted to explore.
catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv
On Procuring Your Tobacco

I'll see if I can find some deals on the final selections. However, feel free to organize tin trades. You might also check out the sticky, Have a blend you want to try? (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/have-a-blend-you-would-like-to-try)

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I am open to try anything but i am predominantly a Virginia smoker with includes burley, Perique, and aros but i tend to shy away from Latakia and english blends. Although in the name of science i may part take in some of the latter.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Let's just smoke straight blending tobacco: virginia, burley, latakia and perique. That'll give everyone a good idea about blend base and ingredients. :rofl:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Smokey, I know we will want a burley for the second week, so you will make final decision. You might want to hear what others would like to nominate but that is up to you.
I'm hoping some self-proclaimed old timers or acknowledged experts might jump in. If you were to educate a newbie to pipe tobaccos, what blends would you select to educate their palate?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
CmdrMcBragg, I assume you mean a VaPer and English and/or Balkan, not smoke straight perique or straight latiakia.
Or am I wrong? I do recall years ago you could buy straight Perique but don't think I've seen straight Latakia for sale.
Shoot. Now I notice you are using ROTFL emoticon. You were joking?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Oh, I indeed meant straight perique and straight latakia. Those should be fun weeks, lol. Separate the men from the boys.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Well either way I do understand the reason behind smoking blending tobacco to help one distinguish the different characteristics in blends. It's funny but it makes sense. Although straight perique and Latakia scares the shit out of me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Lol, I don't think I'd ever do it, not an entire bowl. That would turn the tobacco crawl into the tobacco challenge.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I had bulk Perique when I blended my own back in the eighty's but I never tried it straight. I do recall the couple of times I used over much of the Louisiana Pepper and it was, let's be charitable to myself, un-smokable. Luckily, I just needed to add more Virginia or whatever to the mix to salvage the blend.
It was a fun experiment but I have to confess I never came up with a blend that I liked better than my favorite bulks, so eventually went on to over interests.
But, you know, it would be educational if we could get our hands on maybe a bowlful of each for our fellow crawlers.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
How about McClelland Deep Hollow for the straight VA? It's not a kicker but will give folks a good, smooth taste of a pure VA.
Dave

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome, Dread. You are number 15 in seniority.

I'm trying to reconstruct who made the choices for August. It was really more of a concensus gatehering but who initiated the he GLP Jacknife Plug blend? I want to make sure that I'm not skipping someone who has a turn at picking. Cmdrmcbragg, thesmokingtexan, lincolnsbark Do you have a turn coming up in September? Please let me know ASAP. I promise to track better going forward. BTW, I nominated 3 nuns.
I'm going to assume that everyone who declared for August will also want to participate in September. Keep in mind that you can try as many or as few blends on the menu as you like. You can purchase tins from your favorite supplier or arrange a tin swap with CmdrMcBragg or other willing members.
Anyone can join in at anytime by saying "I'm in".

cmdrmcbragg

thesmokingtexan

lincolnsbark

catyrpelius Peterson Perfect Plug
puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive
Settersbrace

Sallow

Darwin

eightywon
Stosho

Ruger414

Dread

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I am up for anything. Like I said before I am new to pipe tobacco so I do not have allot of knowledge on what to choice. I do like the idea of tyring straight blends to get a good idea of the base flavors

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Who's Turn to Pick the September Blends?

I'm trying to reconstruct who made the choices for August. It was really more of a concensus gatehering but who initiated the he GLP Jacknife Plug blend? I want to make sure that I'm not skipping someone who has a turn at picking. Cmdrmcbragg, thesmokingtexan, lincolnsbark Do you have a turn coming up in September? Please let me know AS
GLP Jacknife Plug was my idea just for clarity so I can move to the bottom of the recommendation list.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Since we're starting out with VaBurs it seems a natural progression would be to segue into VaPers and thence into straight Virginias. Don't want to pick anything specific out of turn but we should all have input on our progression across the spectrum.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
To Darwin First of all, I agree that members should have a voice, not only in the direction and progression of the crawl, but in final blend choices or any other matter affecting the crawls. But I think you'll agree that the only thing that we pipe smokers universally agree on is that we don't agree on much of anything. :) So, every declared member will get to make the final choice for a blend. You'll get your turn in October.
Now on to your suggestion. If I had my choice for August, I would have started with a straight Virginia, then moved onto VaBurs and VaPers. But the consensus for August led to VaBurs.
The thinking is that following up with a Straight Virginia, then a Burley in September, would help us, by contrast, appreciate the August VaBurs. Likewise, following straight Virginias and Burleys with a VaPer and English blend, would be a good start at looking at the most popular class of blends, all of which are based on Virginias and Burleys.
So, let's put your idea up to the group, knowing that the selection team gets the final say. I'll very happily support the decision, since I'll get to try new tobaccos now matter which way the group goes.
We currently had planned on 1. Straight Virginian 2. A burley blend 3. A VaPer 4. An english. Darwin is suggesting VaPers, then moving onto Straight Virginians.
Do you guys want to stick with the current plan or adopt Darwins.
Note: Anyone can join at anytime and smoke as many and few blends as you wish. Just say "I'm in" if you want to be a declared member. Declaring your interest puts you in line to have a final choice in the blend smoked.
August Selection Team

misterlowercase (Chose Old Dark Fire)

cmdrmcbragg (If I recall correctly, he concurred with Brass aka Pax on 3Nuns)

thesmokingtexan (Deferred Selection Right)

lincolnsbark (Jacknife plug)

catyrpelius (Peterson Perfect Plug)
September Selection Team

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive
October Selection Team (You guys want to start thinking about your theme?)

Settersbrace

Sallow

Darwin

eightywon
November Selection Team

Stosho

Ruger414

Dread

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Both options make sense... I wouldn't think to hard on the decission though, in the end a new month comes pretty quickly and an option that doesn't make the list this month gets a shot for next month.
I like the idea about letting the four people picking the blends pick the theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.