PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Miss you, Smokey. We'll see you when come up for air.
Meantime, a little about Epiphany. The first adjectives that come to mind are complex and creamy. The perique fades in and out at random, adding just a bit of spice to the thicker Latakia taste. I enjoy the Virginia base and thanks to our previous tastings, can easily identify the sweet contribution. Can't say that I can detect the burley but I'm still working on my palate.
This blend delivers a moderate assault to the senses but in a good way. The blend comes at you from the base and the top and the tobaccos swirl together in between, creating an ever-moving, contrasting but complementary kaleidoscope of flavors.
I appreciate the subdued use of Latakia and Perique. Other English blends I've tried are overwhelming and as perfumy as some drugstore aromatics.
The burn was average so far, going unattended for the first half of the bowl, with several re-lights required for the second half. The smoke becomes more dense as the bowl burns and flavors deepen, as you might expect. I noticed no bite nor any messy dottle at the end. I expect the burn will improve as the tin dries a bit.
This would not be my first blend of choice but it the best English mix I've smoked recently - or maybe ever.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm used to smoking EMP, MM965 and Nightcap ... so this was a step down. I'll still smoke more because I enjoy latakia, but it is pretty light to me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Frankly, I haven't smoked a blend yet in this crawl, that I didn't like, or at least learn to like, by the end of the week. I've noticed several things.
1. Sometimes a tobacco just sings when it is smoked in the right pipe.

2. Most of the blends I've tried in the crawl smoke better and taste better after drying out for a period. I've tried some dried-up, 3P that was leftover from last month and it was incredibly delicious.

3. The blends same to improve as the week progresses. I attribute this at least partially to item 2 above.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I've had one bowl of Epiphany so far and I did enjoy it. I have been very focussed on virginia's and Vapers all summer so this was my first dip back into the latakia blends. I have been planning to start amping up my latakia intake as fall rolls in. I did enjoy, but unfortunately I've developed a cold the last few days so have not smoked since that bowl. Getting a cold is so much worse because it takes away from my pipe smoking.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've done several bowls of Epiphany and am still liking it. Room note appears to be pleasant to non-smokers.
I've smoked three bowls since yesterday afternoon in my new Missouri Meerschaum Freehand. It does open up the flavor and I really enjoy the pipe. It isn't quite a clincher but close for such a huge bowl.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
September Ratings
I liked everything we smoked this month:
Escudo 10: Meets the hype

Epiphany: 10 Not quite up to Escudo but still, I liked everything about it.

Barbary Coast: 9

Deep Hollow: 8

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Escudo is the winner for me. I was already an Escudo fan though, but it still wins anyways. I really enjoyed Deep Hollow as a crossover blend.
Epiphany was ok, but was a tad too light, dry for my liking. It's an ok smoke. I didn't care for Barbary Coast.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
My september rankings:
Escudo: 10 (really really loved it)

Dark Hallow: 7

Epiphany: 6

Barbary Coast: 2

Status
Not open for further replies.