PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Ouch. I'll be interested to see if I have the same negative experience. So far I would give the Tobacco of the Month Award to ODF. I'm hoping to get some 3P in if I can finish building this cat tree tower I'm working on. Have to make a trip to Lowe's for some more scratching post rope.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I smoked a bowl of it last night, I ended up cube cutting it but it could have used some more drying time.
Not really impressed by this...
So far the only one I'll be stocking up on from this month is ODF.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I'm getting ready to prep my bowl of this today. Excited to see what the flavor will be like. I am also saving a bit of all of these to try again in a month or two when the weather chills down a bit; I seem to really like straight VAs and VAPERS in the summer time. I know that I have loved VABURS in the past but none of these have been world changing, I wonder how much of that is due to the August heat rather than flavor profiles.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Just had my first bowl of PPP: loved it! I am going to smoke a few more bowls before doing a full write up. This has definitely been my favorite initial impression of any of the four thus far this month. Excited to smoke some more.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
eusebius, welcome. You'll have a spot on the January Crawl selection team, if you're participating now.
Guys, I'm in Charleston, SC and enjoyed a bowl of PPP last night with Angry Orchard Apple cider. First off, cider might become a beverage of choice to accompany my pipes. It really enhanced the sweetness and bought out the fruity flavors in a pleasant way.
Secondly, I would class PPP as Vabur light. It't flavors bought to mind ODF that might have been left to dryout for several weeks.
I'll have to check in again later with more details.
:Pax

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I smoked my first bowl of 3P on the long trip to Houston last Tuesday. I cut it into thin slices pulled them apart and then cut little cubes. I did this so it would be easy to load while driving and found that after about four char lights it smoked really easy this way. I thought the flavor had characteristics comparable to ODF. I really enjoyed the first smoke and picked up a sweet flavor that I would describe as some kind of fruit but it was very subtle not like a cherry tobacco. Then I read the description on the tin and it describes the fruit flavor I tasted. Yes I got it right I think my tasting of flavor skills is improving. After smoking the cube cuts for the better part of Thursday and Friday I found the flavor become less and less enjoyable to me. It was still good just the wow factor was not there. I have now pulled the thin slices apart similar to how I prepared the ODF. I'll smoke this and repost how I think about it then. So far my tobacco of the month choice is by far the ODF. On a side note I thought the packaging and appearance of the plug was a lot better than the jackknife.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Ok I just got done smoking the PPP after prepping it by pull off thin pieces off the thin slices like you would string cheese. I assume this is ribbon cut cause it looked like little pieces of ribbon. Any ways I thought it smoked allot better this away however I still did not get the flavor that I got on my first smoke. I think this is my fault however cause for some ungodly reason I smoked cigarettes all week while in Houston and it seems like the pipe tobaccos loss of flavor coincidence with the amount of cigs I was smoking. Therefore I will rate the PPP on my first experience with it and give it a 8. It had a really good even and smooth smoke. It was also very easy to keep light. The sweet subtle fruit flavors were also very unexpected and enjoyable. One thing I have learned this month is that I am defiantly a Virginia / burley man. I have really enjoyed all these blends this week.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Also thanks brass for coming up with this idea, putting it together and running the logistics. I think this first month has been a great success.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Well I finally finished my project and after cleaning up my patio had a sit down with the 3P's. After my first go at it I'd say it was an ok experience. I didn't care for the way it was pressed. In that department I would prefer the JKP. As for the smoke, it was more akin to ODF in my mind, but it set itself apart with the occasional hint of sweetness that would come through from its mild casing. I had a few relights at first but otherwise it stayed lit fairly well until about halfway through. I couldn't get that sucker to relight after that without having to torch it, get some puffs in and then it would go out.
It's better than JKP on the whole, but I'd rate it second of the month after my first bowl. A fairly distant second place.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't have a tin of PPP open at the moment, but this is in my top 5. It is a superior tobacco. I like to slice it thin like a ribbon from the plug. It is a full tobacco.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I've had two bowls this far and like this tobacco. Mellow and slightly sweet, a slight fruit taste. Needs considerable drying time but it is the sort of tobacco you can smoke a lot of, no real bite and quite smooth. Not a super strong flavor like either ODF or Jackknife Plug, and not nearly as strong in the vitamin N category either. But definitely a keeper.
My question, how would one cellar this with the plug being in a cellophane wrapper? Just leave it be in the tin or open it up and jar the plugs?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@dread, remove from wrapper and tin and jar it. Can't age much in cellophane (at least this is my cigar mind on aging cello wrap cigars) and the tins are no good for aging once opened.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is one of my favorite tobaccos. I smoked nothing but English blends before this but once I got through a plug or two, ended switching over to VA's and its relatives (VAPER's, etc). There is not much in terms of complexity or nuances in the flavor, just a good solid smoke. I probably have about 50 tins of this stashed away. It does become smoother with age so if its not working for you now, then set it back and let it age for awhile.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I let two slices of PPP dry out for about an hour and enjoyed another great smoke of this today. Really pleased with the flavor and strength of this blend. The ash burns nicely for me after the initial grow from the char light and I think this helps the enjoyment of the smoke. All-in-all this is definitely my favorite of the blends for the month. I probably like the deep rich leathery flavor of the JKP better for taste than PPP but the nic hit from the JKP takes it down a notch for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm still traveling and deliberately have been deliberately unplugged for the most part. Heading out for some terrestrial fly fishing for a few days, starting tomorrow.
I've been smoking a bowl of 3p daily but will admit for me, it is the obligation to thoroughly understand the blend, and not by preference. I smoked our first three blends this month almost exclusively for each week it was introduced and never felt that it was a burden to do so.
3P just hasn't grown on me like 3Nuns did or JNP. It is a tolerable tobacco, pleasant enough but... nothing more. ODF is the blend of the month for me, followed by 3Nuns and JNP in a dead heat.
Looking forward to next months Tobacco Blends 101 Crawl.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I would say my order is:

1) PPP

2) 3 Nuns

3/4) JKP and ODF (I like them both but both have a downside for me as well).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Info for the September Crawl
September Crawl has its on thread. Please go here to discuss September Crawl:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/september-pax-crawl-tobacco-101
September Selections

Theme: Tobacco 101 - A tour of the Major Blend Styles
Greetings Everyone:

The September Menu has been confirmed. Our VaPer pick was Rattray's Marlin Flake but we couldn't find a source, so rsuninv went with Escudo, perhaps the most famous blend of it's class.
Note that sources are listed for your convenience. However, I will note that 4Noggins has all four blends in stock and Rich will be more than happy to help you.
Going forward, when it is your turn to select, I'm asking that you include at lease one source that you have verified has your pick in stock.
puffdoggie - Chooses McClelland's Craftsbury: Deep Hollow for the Straight Virginian

Components: Virginia Family: Aromatic

Cut: Ribbon

A soothing, relaxing mild aromatic, Deep Hollow consists of rich, Red and Black stoved Virginias lightly top-flavored with hints of apple and vanilla. Relative to most aromatics it smokes very cooly and cleanly with little moisture or bite.
Sources: SmokingPipes.com; 50gr $8.72; 4Noggins: 100gr $14.99
smokeybear - Picks G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast for the Burley

The finest cube-cut Burley, chosen for its deep, nutty flavors, forms a robust foundation for this sophisticated blend. Rich, Red Virginia tobaccos are added for their subtle sweetness and complexity, while the unique spice of Perique provides added dimension. A delicate kiss of brandy polishes this blend to a perfect finish. Barbary Coast is delightfully satisfying, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits. The perfect "all-day" smoke! (From SmokingPipes)
Sources: SmokingPipes; 2 oz $10.72; 4Noggins $10.19
rsuninv - Picks Escudo, the classic VaPer

A combination of full bodied Virginias from North Carolina and Virginia blended with Perique from Louisiana are the cornerstones in Escudo. The blend is pressed and matured before it is spun and cut into coins. This process ensures the unique character of Escudo.
Sources: 4Noggins 50gr $9.14; Pipes and cigars 100gr $15.89
TwoOneFive - Picks C&D Epiphany English blend

Reminiscent of the original Revelation said to be the favorite of Albert Einstein, this singularity is an adroit melding of Virginias, Burleys, Latakia, and Perique in unified harmony.
Sources: SmokingPipes 50 gr $9.91; 4Noggins $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.