PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
There are two ways to order it - ready rubbed in the bulk sections, or one pound package in the tin section (thinkin Smokingpipes.com here). The package is the longer sheets, which I just cut with scissors to jar and cellar.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Alright thanks for the tip gents I'll see if 4noggins had it in bulk.
Edit: I have something coming I from smokingpipes providing I don't get a heavy customs charge I may order from them but shipping to Canada is always a risk that's why I only use 4 noggins now never had an issue with them.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
@thesmokingtexan - the flakes in bulk ODF are longer, about 6" and slightly wider and thicker than the tins. It is beautifully packed and when you open it up, it is a nice site to behold.
Personally, I love this stuff and its in my top five smokes. With age, it gets even better. The tins are still rusting but bulk is the way to go if you like this blend. I use the quart size mason jars and just stand the flakes up inside. One jar will hold a pound nicely.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have been smoking the ODF almost exclusively with exceptions a few bowls all weekend and I still enjoy it just as much as the first bowl. I am not getting tired of it at all and my taste for it has not changed which my constantly changeling preference has been a problem since I started this hobby. This blend will defiantly be a bulk buy for me.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Just finished another bowl, cube cut and stuffed using Harris' method. Definitely still bright, tangy and sweet prior to lighting. Sweets are emboldened and big after true light and the bowl is remarkably consistent in flavour from top to bottom. I'm getting heavy toasted nut, burnt nut aromatics throughout the bowl. Thinking molasses, black walnut, roasted chestnuts AND open fire.
I smoked the dottle again and continued to notice a resinous and earth sweetness throughout. Makes me think of dark roast coffee and baker's chocolate.

Cheers,
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ok so I just ordered the 1lb flake box from smokingpipes the price and shipping is really reasonable but I'm taking a risk with customs so let's hope this goes through. Has anyone from Canada on here had trouble with them shipping wise?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The cleaver was $7.00 in an import shop at Dundas and Spadina. It needs constant sharpening but takes an edge.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Well I've been smoking the ODF since Friday now and it has grown on me a bit more (had a nasty tasting bowl last night about midway, not sure what that was all about). I've smoked some Escudo and MM965 as well for a change of pace, but I am about halfway through my sample size (9 flakes) now. Still not a favorite, but I can't say it is a bad smoke, just not my thing really, though the VAs are making themselves more known as my palate has gotten used to the burleys being in there.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Still not a favorite, but I can't say it is a bad smoke, just not my thing really, though the VAs are making themselves more known as my palate has gotten used to the burleys being in there.
I am in this place... Exactly.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It's grown on me, I've been smoking it twice a day, so I should be done with it by Tuesday. I'd say I'm ready for next week, but I'm already familiar with Three Nuns, gave those that got with me on the tin share samples for free.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hopefully it's not too late to ask but the next sampling of Three Nuns is going to be the current rendition of this blend, correct? I picked up a fresh tin last week but as I understand it, the mixture is different from the original in that there is no sign of Perique in the new offering.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
It looks like you're all having a great time with the ODF! I just got home from a backpacking trip and am glad to announce that my share of the tin-share has arrived!!! I plan on having a smoke in the morning, but now I must sleep...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, the newness of ODF is wearing off but I'm still finding it a very satisfying smoke. It has a little of everything I like: complexity, slightly sweet base, fullness. The burley is almost new to me - haven't smoked a burley pipe blend since my youth.
I've burned a bowl through most of my pipe rotation and can't say in general that it smokes particularly better in one over another except that I like it best in pipes that are already by favorite burners.
I do think that I prefer it rubbed out over stuffed, which is opposite of my normal preference with with flakes.
The crawl is even better than I imagined. It is one thing to smoke a blend and read old reviews. It is even more illuminating to read near real time reactions, compare impressions and try the various alternative preparations that are recommended. Thanks all.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
The crawl is even better than I imagined. It is one thing to smoke a blend and read old reviews. It is even more illuminating to read near real time reactions, compare impressions and try the various alternative preparations that are recommended. Thanks all.
+1 I am unfortunately still away on my post-bar trip with my fiance so I have not started my sample of the tin-share which was delivered to my home, but I am greatly enjoying everyone's reactions. What I like most is that everyone is giving their feed back of the good and the bad. I have been looking forward to trying ODF for a while now and think I will get more out of it thanks to all the reviews. If everyone just jumped on board with the 'this is the best flake ever' wagon then I feared this crawl might have been a flash in the pan. I hope it continues on this trajectory!

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I agree this crawl has been a success . It is good to read the reviews while experiencing the smoke. I then experience a part of the smoke that I may not have noticed before.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I'm smoking it again but in my mini trypis Apple this time and cube cut. I find it's smoking well but I also prefer the rub out method over stuffed cube for this blend even though I recommend the cube. The flavor with the cube seems more ashy then it was when I rub out and stuff. Also I feel like it burns through a lot quicker with the cube cut. It also can be the pipe I choose.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I had my first smoke of ODF today! I smoked one flake cube-cut in a medium sized dublin and had mixed reactions. The initial light was difficult to keep lit, but once it started burning well it refused to go out. At first the flavor was great, but as I neared the bottom third of the bowl it got ashy and lost most of the sweet flavor it started with. The smoke lasted about 45 minutes and overall I think it was a pretty good blend! I'm planning on smoking another bowl tonight, maybe in a cob. This was also my first experience with a VaBur. I have smoked VaPers and plain Burleys before and I like the change of pace. I really enjoy the sweet flavor of the burley and appreciate how subtle it is under the Virginia. Plain burleys tend to be a little sweet for my tastes so VaBurs are an awesome compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.