PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
It is a pretty storied tobacco that I heard for the first time on Glynn Quelch's youtube channel when he reviewed it. I enjoy his reviews so check it out if youre interested. Brian and Jiminks go into it in his second interview on the podcast as well. Basically it is not the same tobacco as it was when Lewis and Tolkien were puffing on it but it is still a good production. Obviously there is a lot more to the story but thats just a quick response.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've had three bowls so far. The first was in a small S&R billiard, the second was in a Micah Redmond lovat (has a shorter but wider bowl than the S&R). The last was in my Peterson Castle 606. This was the first time I have smoked this version of The Nuns.
No one has any locally that I know of, so went to eBay and found a tin from 2010. It even had the Danish tax label stuck on the side. The coins are all a dark brown and its mostly coin with some lose tobacco floating around. I tempted to snag a sleeve or two for the cellar.
I got some BBQ flavor from the S&R and the bowl was not bad. Like Brass says, its definitely lighter than the ODF. The best bowl was from the Peterson Castle. More of the Kentucky came through and it was more flavorful than the first two pipes. I like it but think it could use more body in this incarnation.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately I forgot to follow up on getting these nuns. I asked around this afternoon at the local Catholic Church but they just hit me with rulers and chased me out. I looked forward to reading y'all's reviews though.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'll get to smoking some 3 nuns tomorrow and report back. I've been smoking cigars all day and I'm just done with smoking today.
I know I mentioned dark pressed Virginias for the first week of the October crawl but perhaps a theme is better. If we haven't got into them by then, how about VaPers?

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I don't have the Three Nuns. I'll try and get in on one of the next rotations. Enjoy. I'll read on.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Having been exposed to Three Nuns in the last couple months, I find it to be a decent smoke. Referencing the ODF, I think it burns a bit better than Nuns and starting off is more pleasant, but I would give the Nuns a slight edge on longevity through the entire bowl because it is quite good once you settle into it.
The opening flames getting it lit are not so fun and the flavor is certainly lacking from the start. I also have found that it works better for me if it is rubbed out (I really prefer this method for all flakes). I smoke all blends slowly and this one is no exception.
It is of course missing the perique it once had, but in its current incarnation it isn't too bad. That being said, I have to knock it for it's price and presentation. A tin of this really isn't worth the $12-15 admission fee and when opened it looked like a grenade had gone off in what could've been an other wise neatly packed tin: small coins found amongst the rubble of loose leaf. Be one or the other is my thinking. Be all coin or be loose.
I'm sure it will get better with age, so in the mean time I have no intention of ordering more as I'll just wait on the few tins I have to age by themselves.

May 31, 2012
Sorry I'm so late to the game here, but I was called on very short notice for a couple of out-of-state jobs that I couldn't turn down, and I'm only home for the weekend as it turns out there is more work lined up --- I don't own any portable electronic devices so when I'm not at home I'm totally offline.
Anyway,

I was very excited when ODF first came out because I love Vaburs and especially darkfired Kentucky, and reading the blurb that said Mac Baren was making it according to the "English tradition" made me even more excited!
And it was a huge hit in N. America, so much so that the demand could barely be met --- Mac Baren actually delayed the worldwide release and diverted the stock over here to satisfy the intense demand.

Pretty amazing!
How they called it an English blend caused some confusion because in N. America we're used to using that term to indicate Lat blends, so just think of it as a traditional British style tobacco and it's easier to grasp the concept.
Mac Baren went above and beyond when developing this particular blend, going to the great lengths of acquiring some steam-jacketed presses from England and importing them back to Denmark --- and I'm sure those presses will play a role in future releases as well...
...perhaps when they finally make a plug it'll be with the magic of SJpresses,

http://mac-baren.com/forum/f/1-pipe-tobacco/t/49-mac-baren-tobacco-plug
The use of SJpresses in England go back as far as at least 1874,

here's a short article from 1878 which gives a good mental picture:

The Meadow Foundry Co. Improved Tobacco Press
This pic from a Wills brochure circa 1934 shows what a SJpress looks like:

JPh1WDI.jpg

In an interview with Pipes&Tobaccos magazine Spring 2012 issue, Frank Blews of Mac Baren said some things which are worth quoting here in excerpt:
"Mac Baren is a great company to work with. This is a tobacco company. Tobacco people make decisions here, not some financial person who doesn't know anything except for bottom lines..."
...and that's true I think, especially in regards to doing something right.

The beancounters at Imperial only seemed to have the bottom line in mind when they reintroduced 3N, although Mac Baren makes it for them, they have to make it to Imperial's specification, and Imperial chose the late version recipe which excludes Perique due to cost concerns, Perique is expensive, but without it I'd say 3N ain't really 3N --- it shouldn't say Bell's on the tin because the current recipe deviates too far astray from J&F Bell's original formula for the blend, but Imperial doesn't care.

Rant over.
Here's a bit more from the same interview:

" I have been involved in tobacco manufacturing around the world -- there are different processes throughout, although the tobacco itself may be the same. The English-style manufacturing process in general uses steam presses, which were predominantly used only in the United Kingdom, and many (if not most) of those old English tobacco houses are gone now."
"The project on our plate is to come out with a brand of tobacco made in the English style -- whether it be a readyrubbed or a cake -- made to the standards of the old-time English tobaccos from the 1940's and 1950's. This is a process of understanding history and manufacturing and then looking at products that were manufactured at that time and seeing what we could do to make that product properly today."
"Even if the English-style tobacco was a 1,000 percent hit, you're still talking about 2 to 3 percent of the total U.S. market. What influence would that really be except to say that we're able to produce that tobacco and distribute it worldwide."
"While most of the other tobacco companies look at the entire pipe tobacco market as an unprofitable niche that's more trouble than it's worth, Mac Baren's personnel are so dedicated to their tasks that they get excited about filling the niches in that niche market. They are, by and large, pipe tobacco geeks who eagerly seek new ways of expressing their professionalism and expertise one puff at a time."
"I'm just one little tobacco peddler in the U.S." he explains. "Only real tobacco people can see the long-term benefit of what we are asking them to do today. A new upstart business or a tobacco business that's run by finance people wouldn't do it."
Per Jensen from MB sometimes posts here on the forums and that also shows their enthusiast streak, that they're actually listening and responding is a great thing indeed, in an old post he said this about ODF:

First of all the tobaccos in the HH line is made under a quite different concept than all other Mac Baren tobaccos. This concept is of purity and as natural as we possibly can make the tobacco. This means that only a few things are added to the tobacco as a slight casing, and no top flavor at all. One of the few things added are vinegar, which is used for taste but also as a preservative.
Damn long preamble there, apologies for the length.

Finally now I can offer my impressions. I like the idea of this thread because it'll help me refine my reviewing skillz which are next to nil, but by reading and attempting I hope to get a better grip on the whole process.
The tin nose note of ODF smelled of barbeque mixed with worcestershire sauce and very much reminded me of how the current iteration of St. Bruno smells in the pouch.
The tin I'm smoking is from March 2012 and I can say that it ages very well --- I smoked some when I first got it from the same batch when it was only a couple of months old and it had an astringent sting on retrohale and the spicy elements were very much at the forefront --- after a couple of years it smooths out, both by losing the astringent sting and the spiciness is more subdued.
Like many VaBurs, it ain't exactly what you'd call complex, but it offers a solid flavor profile consistently down the bowl and not really changing too much. I get a woodsy barbeque taste and I love it. The room note smells just like it tastes to me.
I'd say it's a medium strength, but the body or mouthfeel is a bit mild, I would like it much more if it had a thick dense body.
In a way it reminds me almost of St. Bruno without the famous topping, and this makes sense because St. Bruno pretty much had the same base ingredients --- I think if MB offred ODF or something similar with a topnote flavoring it would be most excellent, especially if it was a dark fruit flavor.
Overall, I love ODF and I'm glad it's available.

It definitely fills a certain niche.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
My Take On Three Nuns
Overall: This is one of the best blends i have smoked in terms of how well the tobacco burns and how evenly the smoke draws, however it did not delivery in flavor for me and was not in any form substantial. I have one sealed tin in my cellar and i plan on revisiting this blend in a year or two to see how much a few years of aging would change it. It scores a 6.5/10 it only got this score due to how easy it was to smoke.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@rsuninv, I am aware that the tins haven't changed in their look upon opening (I've seen pictures before of the old tins), I was just voicing my preference is all.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
We'll I am starting to think it is a good thing that I was unable to pay 13 bucks for a tin of this brand. It does not sound like it is worth it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My snapshot review is here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bells-three-nuns-pruss-snapshot-review?replies=1#post-658311
Cole's Notes:

I liked the bottom of the bowl better than the top. I am definitely more of a VaPer guy than I am a VaBur guy. I think this blend will age well.
-- Pat

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
So I had a dream bowl with this today. Absolutely loved it from start to finish. Really like the flavor on this and didn't notice any of the trouble mid-bowl some of the other guys had. This may have something to do with smoking it in a smaller bowl. The smoke still lasted an hour for me, I think I tend to go slower than some usually though. I too noted the great combustion in this tobacco. Lit well and puffed up like some flakes do if I pack them too tightly. If I continue to have enjoyable smokes like the one I had today I am going to be in trouble; I like Three Nuns but it is expensive and at times out of stock. I found it to be similar to MacBarens Dark Twist Roll Cake which I really liked earlier in the year as well.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm honestly a little overwhelmed thus far. I think 3Nuns smokes better in larger open bowls but the flavor profile is flat relative to some other blends I've tried.
While it is a perfectly decent smoke, I doubt it is going to make my favorites list. Honestly, I prefer Orlik Golden Slice and it is half the price.
I do like the fact that we're focusing on blend styles. I'm now able to identify the common burly flavor between 3nuns and ODF.
One of the brothers sent me a sample of the original 3nuns with the perique. I'm looking forward to smoking the same blend as did C.S. Lewis, one of my favorite writers and Christian apologists.
I'm also grateful for all the comments, even though we will not all come away with the same impressions. One thing that was bought to my attention and that I agree with, is that the 3Nuns has great burn qualities - even,smooth and steady.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I don't enjoy 3 Nuns as much as I enjoyed ODF. While 3 Nuns isn't bad I thought it was pretty nondescript. Still maybe my opinion will change as I finish off the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.