PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
@ Brass
Cup O' Joes shows it as in stock, that's where I ordered it from earlier today. If worse comes to worse let me know and I'll mail you some of mine.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
catyrpelius, thanks for the offer. I first posted I couldn't find 3 nuns, then found it at SmokingPipes. Don't know how I missed it the first time.
I edited the post to point to the one source I knew had it.
I've learned just how generous this group is in the last couple of day. If anyone comes wants to join in but can't afford to get all 4 picks, let me know and I think we can hook you up with a few bowls to get you in.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have a tin of the new 3 nuns if anyone needs some I'm willing to share that is if we are in fact going with the current version.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome Sallow - The more the merrier
Founding Pax Tobacco Crawlers thus far:
misterlowercase

cmdrmcbragg

thesmokingtexan

lincolnsbark

catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive

Settersbrace

Sallow
If anyone else wants in, just say "I'm in." We'd love to have you for the entire crawl but feel free to jump in at anytime and try as many or as few blends on the menu as you like.
The August Menu

Week 1: Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired - a PM forum favorite

Week 2: 3 Nuns - one of old classics. Maybe misterlowercase can find us an old tin to share. Know some exist)

Week 3: GL Pease Jackknife Plug (I LOVE this blend)

Week 4: Peterson's Perfect Plug

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome Darwin. Welcome eightywon - You are a man of grace.
Founding Pax Tobacco Crawlers thus far:
misterlowercase

cmdrmcbragg

thesmokingtexan

lincolnsbark

catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive

Settersbrace

Sallow

Darwin

eightywon
If anyone else wants in, just say "I'm in." We'd love to have you for the entire crawl but feel free to jump in at anytime and try as many or as few blends on the menu as you like.
The August Menu

Week 2: 3 Nuns - one of old classics. Maybe misterlowercase can find us an old tin to share. Know some exist)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
A shoutout to Stosho, our newest declared member.
Founding Pax Tobacco Crawlers, buy seniority, thus far:
misterlowercase

cmdrmcbragg

thesmokingtexan

lincolnsbark

catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive

Settersbrace

Sallow

Darwin

eightywon
If anyone else wants in, just say "I'm in." Even if you aren't a declared member, you'll be free to join in the conversation if you smoke one of the blends on the menu. But being a declared member gives you a voice in selecting future themes and menus.
So try as many or as few blends on the menu as you like, according to your own time, taste, budget and prejudices. Some members are using the crawl as opportunity to educate their palates in an organized fashion, others are interested in trying wide world of tobaccos. Some simply want to compare notes on tobaccos they have in

their inventory.
The August Menu

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
A NOTE ON TAD ACQUISITION OPTIONS FOR THE PAX TOBACCO CRAWL
I've gotten some additional queries regarding tin sharing. Some of us are buying new tins and others already have selections in inventory. Some of you have expressed interest in tin swapping, as a side hobby and a way to minimize costs.
Being new to the site and pipe forums, I was a little skeptical at first. But I understand the reasons. It is a good way to save money and make new friends with fellow BOTLs.
It also occurred to me that crawl members might dislike some of the tins they sample. A Tin Share option would be a way of reducing the risk of obtaining tobaccos that don't suit your taste. For example, I would be less hesitant to go on an aromatic crawl if I knew I might be able to minimize my costs in a tin swap or swap my tin at the end of a crawl. (Operative word is MIGHT)
I've also come to realize tin sharing is a common and fun option for many members. As mentioned earlier, I have no interest in managing the logistics nor a taste for the responsibilities of running a tin share and the Pax Crawl is not sponsoring one. But if you're interested in tin sharing, you might send a private message to CmdrMcBragg. He is a very involved member with some seniority. I can't officially endorse him for the site nor the crawl but I am in the process of trading tobaccos with him personally and there were some indications he could be persuaded to take up the yoke.
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome, Stosho and Ruger. You are the 14th and 15th declared member so far. In order of seniority:
misterlowercase

cmdrmcbragg

thesmokingtexan

lincolnsbark

catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

TwoOneFive

Settersbrace

Sallow

Darwin

eightywon

Stosho

Ruger414
All are welcome. Try as many blends or as few on the menu as you like. To become a declared member, simply say, "I'm in."
If that is too much of a commitment, then feel to parachute into the discussions, as long as you have smoked the blends on the menu. No real rules, no meetings, no dues, no obligations - other than those already imposed site-wide by PipesMagazine.
or just reply and say "I'm In".

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Got my order in today. Besides Week 1: Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired;3 Nuns; GL Pease Jackknife Plug (I had tried the ready rub blend); and Peterson's Perfect Plug I got the highly recommended Orlik Golden Slice.
Fired up a bowl of the Golden Slice in an also arrived Joh smooth Tulip. It was delicious.
I'm opening a new thread for the September crawl, which we envision as Pipe Tobacco 101 introduction to the basics. This could end up being spread over two months, depending on demand. The idea is to survey the classic blend types, starting with the two foundations, a straight Virginian and a Burley based blend. We could then add a VaPer or any other blend. It will be tough coming to a consensus on the best representative blend in a category, so declared members will have final say by order of seniority. Everyone who declares will eventually get to choose, so this seems fairest to me. What say you?
I believe the following members are next up:
catyrpelius

puffdoggie

smokeybear

rsuninv

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've been on this site for just shy of a year (like, in 3 days) and I have made swaps/trades with others as well as given freely to the Free Pipe Project. I also have an impeccable track record on eBay under body_count_designs (I sell hockey masks).
Just sayin'. I'm all about some tin sharing though.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Just realized last night after looking through my cellar that i do not have any Jackknife plug! i must be going crazy because i totally thought i purchased that at some point ha. Ill have to see if i have the funds to make another order. Ordering one tins isnt worth it for me being in Canada so ill need to order a few tins do we know whats on the menu for the next Month at least i can order ahead if thats the case.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Smokeybear, cmdrmcbragg, has my full confidence. Please check with him about a swap. Or perhaps someone can step in. I'll be honest, I'm trying to avoid packing and shipping chores, if member crawlers can help each other out, I'd appreciate it.
But worst case, I'll mail you some Jacknife plug or ready rub if you can't work anything out in a day or two. If that happens, is there something I should know before I mail to Canada? And what is the best way to ship? A taped and rolled baggy?
I've started the September thread here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/september-pax-crawl-tobacco-101

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Brass no worries mate i can get my hands on it somehow ill wait until our pipe meet here someone will have a sample to trade im sure. No sense spending money on shipping it. I do appreciate the offer however.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Do we have start/stop dates for each week? Are we going 8/1-7, 8/8-14, etc. or Sun-Sat (8/3-9, 8/10-16, etc.) or what? No biggie. Just askin'. Thanx,
Dave

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Yes, we're doing 4 weeks, four tobacco blends. I had given any thoughts about the date range.
So, we could start on the first day of the month. Or how about the First Friday of the month, giving folks the weekend to get familiar with the new blend?
Up to you guys.
LOL. This is teaching me a little about delayed gratification. I'm holding on my August order, not sampling until then. A little like waiting for Christmas. I'm surprised how tempting it is to crack those tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.