24 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Here is my late 4 hole 76 (two digit), it’s a SuperGrain. It’s from approximately 1938-1945 as well. Had it been a 1936-7 SuperGrain it would have had the clover in the shank and not on the stem. Had it been later than 1945 it would have had a 3 hole stinger. IMG_4753.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Sobrbiker and milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The "standard" was a KB&B line from the before the Kaywoodie days that carried over, they were not made in great numbers until after the war but they were made. The transition back to 2 digit pipes started in 1936 and continued until sometime during the war. But 4 hole pipes were not produced after the war at all. So a 2 digit 4 hole pipe could not have been produced any later than 1945. The assumption that certain shapes were only made at certain times is based on their appearance in certain catalogs, but there are a lot of gaps in this. It is a known fact that just because certain shapes do not appear in the few catalogs we have does not mean they were not produced, it just means they were not printed those catalogs. There are a lot of holes in what we know about dating KW's. But one thing is inescapable, 4 hole stingers were not produced in the 50's, so no this pipe is not from the 50's or 60's. It is from between 1936 and 1946, but wartime production was a hodge podge of push bits. mission briar, and weird stampings. So statistically speaking, this pipe is likely from 1936-1941.

Here's a "Standard" from the 20's from my collection, its a zero digit... View attachment 225300View attachment 225301
Thanks and much appreciated. It’s all clear now! Then that website really went the extra mile because most sellers would probably not be so demonstrative. I guess my weird hand-carved tiny nose warmer/drinkless must be from the war years. Maybe we talked about this pipe before. When I first got this pipe, I thought it was ugly. Now I think it’s beautiful in every way. I almost sold it once upon a time. So glad I didn’t.
kaywoodie drinkless 4b.jpeg
kaywoodie stinger stamp.jpeg

Reactions: MattRVA

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
The "standard" was a KB&B line from the before the Kaywoodie days that carried over, they were not made in great numbers until after the war but they were made. The transition back to 2 digit pipes started in 1936 and continued until sometime during the war. But 4 hole pipes were not produced after the war at all. So a 2 digit 4 hole pipe could not have been produced any later than 1945. The assumption that certain shapes were only made at certain times is based on their appearance in certain catalogs, but there are a lot of gaps in this. It is a known fact that just because certain shapes do not appear in the few catalogs we have does not mean they were not produced, it just means they were not printed those catalogs. There are a lot of holes in what we know about dating KW's. But one thing is inescapable, 4 hole stingers were not produced in the 50's, so no this pipe is not from the 50's or 60's. It is from between 1936 and 1946, but wartime production was a hodge podge of push bits. mission briar, and weird stampings. So statistically speaking, this pipe is likely from 1936-1941.

Here's a "Standard" from the 20's from my collection, its a zero digit... View attachment 225300View attachment 225301
Kaywoodie did not manufacture 4-holed stingers after the war that is accurate. However, you can find pipes made in the early 60s that were made with a 4-hole stinger. I had a NOS 50s woodie unsmoked that had a 4-hole stinger.

That is a lovely KB&B Standard, however, what I said before still is valid. Kaywoodie did not have a standard line in the 30s. Kb&B did as well as Medico. The standard Kaywoodies started in the 50s.
After kbb renamed Dinwoodie to Kaywoodie (to reflect Kaufman brother) There was a time were they made KB&B pipes alongside Kaywoodie. It's like saying Parker is a Dunhill. They were owned by the same people, however, they weren't the same pipes or the same line of pipes.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Kaywoodie did not manufacture 4-holed stingers after the war that is accurate. However, you can find pipes made in the early 60s that were made with a 4-hole stinger. I had a NOS 50s woodie unsmoked that had a 4-hole stinger.

That is a lovely KB&B Standard, however, what I said before still is valid. Kaywoodie did not have a standard line in the 30s. Kb&B did as well as Medico. The standard Kaywoodies started in the 50s.
After kbb renamed Dinwoodie to Kaywoodie (to reflect Kaufman brother) There was a time were they made KB&B pipes alongside Kaywoodie. It's like saying Parker is a Dunhill. They were owned by the same people, however, they weren't the same pipes or the same line of pipes.
Yes I know the difference between KW and KB&B pipes, I own many of both. Yes "standard" was a KB&B line... Until it wasn't. By the end of the 30's nearly all the KB&B lines had been discontinued or folded into KW production with only a small number of lines lasting into the 40's and none after the war.

I have never seen a post war 4 hole stinger, do you have any pictures of this pipe?

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Yes I know the difference between KW and KB&B pipes, I own many of both. Yes "standard" was a KB&B line... Until it wasn't. By the end of the 30's nearly all the KB&B lines had been discontinued or folded into KW production with only a small number of lines lasting into the 40's and none after the war.

I have never seen a post war 4 hole stinger, do you have any pictures of this pipe?
I’ve often wondered about this and I have heard, anecdotally, that there is the possibility of a 4 hole stinger on post war pipes due to the possibility of excessive inventory. I have no idea though.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve often wondered about this and I have heard, anecdotally, that there is the possibility of a 4 hole stinger on post war pipes due to the possibility of excessive inventory. I have no idea though.
That is certainly a possibility but I would not have expected it to last into the late 50's early 60's 10-15 years after the war. Maybe 47-49 but I could be wrong.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
That is certainly a possibility but I would not have expected it to last into the late 50's early 60's 10-15 years after the war. Maybe 47-49 but I could be wrong.
I’ve got this 76B, one of my best smokers. I think this one might fall into this category. I’ve never been positive about the dating and the stinger looks different too me, I thought it might be a replacement but I bought it as an estate so who knows. Someone definitely messed with the clover.
IMG_1595.jpegIMG_1597.jpegIMG_1598.jpegIMG_1599.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve got this 76B, one of my best smokers. I think this one might fall into this category. I’ve never been positive about the dating and the stinger looks different too me, I thought it might be a replacement but I bought it as an estate so who knows. Someone definitely messed with the clover.
View attachment 225492View attachment 225493View attachment 225494View attachment 225495
Looks like a post 37 SuperGrain 38-41ish. To me it looks like the clover fell out and someone filled it with paint or something.

Reactions: MattRVA

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Someone (other than MrsBiker) needs to stop me!!

I just ordered a 1929-1931 7204.
I asked the seller if the shape number was legible and he responded “SYCOROSYSTEM PAT. APPL FOR ROCK AMBERA ALGERIAN BRUYERE KAYWOODIE #72U4”
…..that’s all it took!
Someone (poorly) beveled to top of bowl, and the stinger’s cut (looks to be done well), but for a few Jacksons I figure I can “top” and refinish or just keep the 90+ years of character as is. Should be a cool smoker, not museum piece. We’ll see how it cleans up first.9A79E166-8335-49CE-86B0-078341CB4DD0.jpeg730BD296-CFEF-4D08-A10C-42031D1BD5D7.jpeg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I keep forgetting to post my recent Kaywoodie acquisition... It was hard to resist having a SECOND Kaywoodie Saxon Prince when it popped up on Greywoodie not too long ago.

fBLcLfz.png

ZPXJmeY.png

jmoOATo.png

jbtlRJn.png

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The Relief Grain 04 is here, 4 hole with just “Drinkless” on stinger puts it pre-war according to this:

post 1929: syncro-stem pat applied for
post 1932: syncro-stem pat #
early stingers had large ball with 4 holes on end with "drinkless on shaft of stinger with patent number or registration number below it.
just before WW2, The “Ball” was downsized slightly and only the word “DRINKLESS” appeared on the Shaft (without the “Reg. Numbers
post 1941 the Nomenclature on the “Stinger” was eliminated altogether and then the size of the “Ball” was reduced in size twice (with the 4-HOLE Ball being replaced by a 3-Hole Ball in the early 1950s.

(It’’s from the internet, gotta be true, huh?)
415462FB-602E-4883-8666-A42F1CDC0361.jpeg1B244878-41C3-4DE7-BC71-B864055654E5.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
…..But 4 hole pipes were not produced after the war at all. So a 2 digit 4 hole pipe could not have been produced any later than 1945. The assumption that certain shapes were only made at certain times is based on their appearance in certain catalogs, but there are a lot of gaps in this. It is a known fact that just because certain shapes do not appear in the few catalogs we have does not mean they were not produced, it just means they were not printed those catalogs. There are a lot of holes in what we know about dating KW's. But one thing is inescapable, 4 hole stingers were not produced in the 50's, so no this pipe is not from the 50's or 60's. It is from between 1936 and 1946, but wartime production was a hodge podge of push bits. mission briar, and weird stampings. So statistically speaking, this pipe is likely from 1936-1941.
So that lends me a question regarding the Relief Grain that I posted. It’s a 4 hole, with just “Drinkless” on the stinger. By the stinger it should be around 1941.
My question arises as I’ve heard that Relief Grain didn’t hit production until 1947. I don’t know if this thought is from Stokes’ work citing the 1947 catalog.
Do you (or anyone else) know when sandblasted two digits started being labeled “Relief Grain” not “Thorn”?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
So that lends me a question regarding the Relief Grain that I posted. It’s a 4 hole, with just “Drinkless” on the stinger. By the stinger it should be around 1941.
My question arises as I’ve heard that Relief Grain didn’t hit production until 1947. I don’t know if this thought is from Stokes’ work citing the 1947 catalog.
Do you (or anyone else) know when sandblasted two digits started being labeled “Relief Grain” not “Thorn”?
Relief Grain replaced Thorn, but the thorn stopped sometime in the late 30's. I have a Relief Grain Carburetor with stamping that indicates its somewhere around 1939ish. The Relief grain not being introduced until 1947 is a red herring, its based on the fact that the earliest catalog showing it is 1947. That's in no way definitive proof that is was not introduced until then.

Reactions: peteguy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Relief Grain replaced Thorn, but the thorn stopped sometime in the late 30's. I have a Relief Grain Carburetor with stamping that indicates its somewhere around 1939ish. The Relief grain not being introduced until 1947 is a red herring, its based on the fact that the earliest catalog showing it is 1947. That's in no way definitive proof that is was not introduced until then.
Thanks, that’s what my research (and ability to apply critical thought) led me to believe (the red herring part especially).

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Someone (other than MrsBiker) needs to stop me!!

I just ordered a 1929-1931 7204.
I asked the seller if the shape number was legible and he responded “SYCOROSYSTEM PAT. APPL FOR ROCK AMBERA ALGERIAN BRUYERE KAYWOODIE #72U4”
…..that’s all it took!
Someone (poorly) beveled to top of bowl, and the stinger’s cut (looks to be done well), but for a few Jacksons I figure I can “top” and refinish or just keep the 90+ years of character as is. Should be a cool smoker, not museum piece. We’ll see how it cleans up first.View attachment 228602View attachment 228603
The 7204 Rock Ambera got here Thursday. I topped the bowl (just leveled and cleaned up the whittled bevel-didn’t want to shorten chamber any more than it’s already been chopped).
Cleaned up with georged’s dish washing method, pulled a ton of funk out of shank, and am waiting for some RenWax to be delivered tomorrow to give it a good shot at years more service. I’m disappointed the KBB in clover on shank is barely visible, and there’s no clover on the Bakelite stem, but for the price I’m thrilled with my first four digit.

It’s gonna be a smoker, more so than a piece of eye candy.
5B3E1CFE-5B7F-44E8-91A9-602B85978C0B.jpeg
0FA236A4-B1CA-4529-8982-6D25C7BC35A5.jpeg

Last edited:

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I haven’t see a KBB Rocky on here. Just curious, does anyone have one in their collection?