Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I mean that pipe is better than pre1950s. It’s pre-ww2. Unless I’m wrong.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Unsmoked prewar Kaywoodie on smokingpipes? But why do they say pre1950s? Don’t they know better? Or am I wrong? https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=559474
It’s typically an estimation when dating these older Kaywoodies but I’d say that the pipe was likely made in the 40’s, however I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the 50’s. I doubt it’s older than 1940 but I could be wrong. The price is high but not ridiculous, cool pipe, not my style but cool.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Looking at possibly picking up my first Kaywoodie, but had a couple of quick questions. There's a beautiful white, hexagonal estate Kaywoodie at a vintage shop for $45. It's in ~good condition, needing the usual reaming, refurb, and stem polishing, but the stem is overclocked about 45 degrees. I wish I had snapped a pic but it is, I think, a hexagonal white briar, and has this really neat patina that looks like crackled porcelain. How difficult is the overclock to fix? Is $45 fair? I mean, in the grand scheme, it seems like peanuts, but I have no experience with KWs and not sure what I will be getting into. I can't find any examples online of this particular KW pipe either.

Reactions: milk
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Looking at possibly picking up my first Kaywoodie, but had a couple of quick questions. There's a beautiful white, hexagonal estate Kaywoodie at a vintage shop for $45. It's in ~good condition, needing the usual reaming, refurb, and stem polishing, but the stem is overclocked about 45 degrees. I wish I had snapped a pic but it is, I think, a hexagonal white briar, and has this really neat patina that looks like crackled porcelain. How difficult is the overclock to fix? Is $45 fair? I mean, in the grand scheme, it seems like peanuts, but I have no experience with KWs and not sure what I will be getting into. I can't find any examples online of this particular KW pipe either.
$45 for a white briar with an overclocked stem seems a bit high to me, they generally sell for less than that in smokeable shape on ebay. An overclocked stem isn't a huge deal, it's fairly easy to fix with a few basic tools.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Warm the stem and turn the stinger back to the right position. Bob's your uncle. $45 is a little high but white briar pipes are getting less common as they chip and wear. I would go for it if you feel like it is fair.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Thank you both! I'm just gonna go for it. Aesthetically, I was really drawn to it. It would be my first KW and first Hex. It's pretty sweet. Will post pics later this weekend, hopefully, if it's still there.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
It’s typically an estimation when dating these older Kaywoodies but I’d say that the pipe was likely made in the 40’s, however I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the 50’s. I doubt it’s older than 1940 but I could be wrong. The price is high but not ridiculous, cool pipe, not my style but cool.
Unsmoked is hard to find. 51 is listed on all the lists as 30-39 or 40 but, yeah, I guess the stinger is the factor.
Tough to say without seeing the stinger.
You’d think they’d say about the stinger.

Reactions: MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Unsmoked is hard to find. 51 is listed on all the lists as 30-39 or 40 but, yeah, I guess the stinger is the factor.

You’d think they’d say about the stinger.
I’m rusty on my dating but I think the 4 digit nomenclature was discontinued late 30’s so it must be late 30’s? I’ve heard along the way that stummels may have sat around a while before being shipped out to shops but who knows. The lack of stinger mentioned always irks me but I guess one could inquire. I’m a softy for those NOS Kaywoodies.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m rusty on my dating but I think the 4 digit nomenclature was discontinued late 30’s so it must be late 30’s? I’ve heard along the way that stummels may have sat around a while before being shipped out to shops but who knows. The lack of stinger mentioned always irks me but I guess one could inquire. I’m a softy for those NOS Kaywoodies.
Anyone buying would want to know about the stinger. SPs should put it. An unsmoked 4-hole will sell quicker. That sounds dirty for some reason.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Handmades as in actually made by hand? Around 1998. Handmade that looks like Custom-bilt, 1946-1955 and again a year or two ago.
Yes, I mean the antiques labeled “Hand Made” above “Kaywoodie”. This leads me to a confusion. Some handmades that I’ve seen have 4-hole stingers. Were these made around the end of the war then?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Yes, I mean the antiques labeled “Hand Made” above “Kaywoodie”. This leads me to a confusion. Some handmades that I’ve seen have 4-hole stingers. Were these made around the end of the war then?
More than likely. They came about because of briar shortages from the war. So some could have been earlier but not in the catalogs.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
More than likely. They came about because of briar shortages from the war. So some could have been earlier but not in the catalogs.
Do you own one of these? I have a tiny carved pipe that’s unmarked that I’ve talked about before but now I’m talking about the larger “Hand Made “ stamped pipes that one sees. I see some nice author/scoop shaped Kaywoodies. They’re rather unique hunks of briar.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
What’s your guys’ thoughts on modern kaywoodies, especially the stems?
I’d love to get one some day. They look like great quality at amazing price points.
It’s interesting that they weren’t on the cheap side though. I guess they were in the middle as to price in their ‘47 catalogue.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’d love to get one some day. They look like great quality at amazing price points.

It’s interesting that they weren’t on the cheap side though. I guess they were in the middle as to price in their ‘47 catalogue.
Well, I guess that should go without saying. The estate Hand Mades are beautiful, in my opinion - the big ones. I want one.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Do you own one of these? I have a tiny carved pipe that’s unmarked that I’ve talked about before but now I’m talking about the larger “Hand Made “ stamped pipes that one sees. I see some nice author/scoop shaped Kaywoodies. They’re rather unique hunks of briar.
I have one. I also got Bill to reproduce them for the modern market since everyone was collecting them. They are great.