PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
So, got my thorn from eBay and I didn’t realize the stem had been fixed. Over-aggressive cleaning and buffing led to dislodging the fixed part of the button. I tried to redox it myself but it led to more buffing. I’m just no good at this. I give up. Yes, I can smoke it with one of those rubber things. But I don’t enjoy that much. I’m pretty disappointed. What are the chances of my finding a replacement stem out here? Anyone? IMG_0812.jpegIMG_0818.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
So, got my thorn from eBay and I didn’t realize the stem had been fixed. Over-aggressive cleaning and buffing led to dislodging the fixed part of the button. I tried to redox it myself but it led to more buffing. I’m just no good at this. I give up. Yes, I can smoke it with one of those rubber things. But I don’t enjoy that much. I’m pretty disappointed. What are the chances of my finding a replacement stem out here? Anyone? View attachment 223815View attachment 223816
You can have a new stem made and have the stinger and the logo transferred over to it, it’s not easy but it’s not impossible. Finding another that will just screw on and fit will likely be near impossible though.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
You can have a new stem made and have the stinger and the logo transferred over to it, it’s not easy but it’s not impossible. Finding another that will just screw on and fit will likely be near impossible though.
Well, unfortunately, this pipe will go in a draw. This is disappointing. :(

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
We seem to have similar tendencies. Best thing you can do is just come back to it later. I’ve seen people mold new buttons out of some type of adhesive. I used JB Weld to fix a bite through on one of my old Kaywoodies and it dried light/medium grey like yours. View attachment 223839
Good idea to come back to this for me. I’d be happy at this point to get mine looking like yours but I played with mine too much and had to buff it to get the bad glueing I tried off. My button is pretty much gone. Maybe a professional or a skilled person could do something with mine.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I would say that pipe is pretty accurately dated. Late 30's would have been my guess as well.
Thanks so much! So, there’s something I need to catch up on then. It’s very easy to find the four digit guide and we all know that clovers on the shank are early pipes as well as those with KB&B in the clover. This throws me because of the number and also because of the nomenclature and the way it’s written under Kaywoodie. Is there any link to something for understanding these particular type of early Kaywoodies?

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
Kaywwodie made a line of "Standard" pipes in the 30s?
They did not. Its a two digit stamp so no way its the 30s. That shape 76 is
"E-Z Setter Vest Pocket "Tuxedo" 1958-1960"
They did make that shape for 3 years in the 30's (1935-1938) However it would have a 4 digit stamp. But once again, no standards in the 30s

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
Is there any link to something for understanding these particular type of early Kaywoodies?
Yes, somewhere back around the late 2000s/early 2010s on a kaywoodie forum (it was like kaywoodie.myfreeforums.com or something like that) the current president/owner went through all of their old records and made a somewhat complete list. You can find parts of that floating around. I think on reborn pipes website he has some screengrabs. I copied everything and formatted it into some Excel sheets that I kept.

edit: I found part of it
he says that 4 digits numbers weren't used after 1938, however, that is not true I have a Supergraing 5132c that dates to the mid-40s

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
They did not. Its a two digit stamp so no way its the 30s. That shape 76 is
"E-Z Setter Vest Pocket "Tuxedo" 1958-1960"
They did make that shape for 3 years in the 30's (1935-1938) However it would have a 4 digit stamp. But once again, no standards in the 30s
So, this is what I thought and why I asked. When I saw the pipe for sale I linked, I thought the site had misidentified it.
Yes, somewhere back around the late 2000s/early 2010s on a kaywoodie forum (it was like kaywoodie.myfreeforums.com or something like that) the current president/owner went through all of their old records and made a somewhat complete list. You can find parts of that floating around. I think on reborn pipes website he has some screengrabs. I copied everything and formatted it into some Excel sheets that I kept.

edit: I found part of it
he says that 4 digits numbers weren't used after 1938, however, that is not true I have a Supergraing 5132c that dates to the mid-40s
I usually look at these, which might be the same as reborn’s list, I’ll take compare:

kaywoodie-Two Digit Prefix numbers - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/kaywoodie/two-digit-prefix-numbers-t122.html
kaywoodie-Kaywoodie shape numbers - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/kaywoodie/kaywoodie-shape-numbers-t218.html

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
So, this is what I thought and why I asked. When I saw the pipe for sale I linked, I thought the site had misidentified it.

I usually look at these, which might be the same as reborn’s list, I’ll take compare:

kaywoodie-Two Digit Prefix numbers - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/kaywoodie/two-digit-prefix-numbers-t122.html
kaywoodie-Kaywoodie shape numbers - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/kaywoodie/kaywoodie-shape-numbers-t218.html
I think they are the same. That may be where the forum moved to after the first one shut down.

But yeah, I think that pipe was intentionally misidentified to appear older.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I think they are the same. That may be where the forum moved to after the first one shut down.

But yeah, I think that pipe was intentionally misidentified to appear older.
Well, I wouldn’t want to say that. Kaywoodie takes a bit of concentration. Maybe the 4-hole stinger was what they went with. I notice that on sites like Smokingpipes they often don’t say anything and I have to go searching pipedia. I think, “why don’t they go the extra mile?” Then I think, “oh. They’re super busy. I’m sure they’re given a time constraint.” But that site above ought to be careful (if it’s true they are mistaken). Better to say nothing than risk misrepresenting the item.

Reactions: mosin1932

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
Well, I wouldn’t want to say that. Kaywoodie takes a bit of concentration. Maybe the 4-hole stinger was what they went with. I notice that on sites like Smokingpipes they often don’t say anything and I have to go searching pipedia. I think, “why don’t they go the extra mile?” Then I think, “oh. They’re super busy. I’m sure they’re given a time constraint.” But that site above ought to be careful (if it’s true they are mistaken). Better to say nothing than risk misrepresenting the item.
Totally understand where you're coming from and in general I will always give the benifit of the doubt.

Here is why I think it was intentional.
Where did they get the 1935-1938 date range? the only two places I found were reborn pipes and the Taptalk forum. So they also saw the later date possibility. I think it was intentional to leave off the second option to let people make their own informed decisions. 1935-1938 is a very specific date range. They had to have seen the charts and forum for sure. I feel like if they weren't sure they could have just put 1935-1938 or 1958-1960 and then given the rest of the info. It's an odd choice to leave off some of the information they clearly had

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Totally understand where you're coming from and in general I will always give the benifit of the doubt.

Where did they get the 1935-1938 date range? the only two places I found were reborn pipes and the Taptalk forum. So they also saw the later date possibility. I think it was intentional to leave off the second option to let people make their own informed decisions. 1935-1938 is a very specific date range. They had to have seen the charts and forum for sure. I feel like if they weren't sure they could have just put 1935-1938 or 1958-1960 and then given the rest of the info. It's an odd choice to leave off some of the information they clearly had
RustiePyles CPG know a lot about this topic. He may have an informed view. With Standard BELOW Kaywoodie, no clover on the shank, the 2-digit no., and the very nomenclature “standard” itself, I thought is was for sure a later pipe. Although, the only weird point is the 4-hole stinger which I didn’t think they made in 1958. But I assumed this was a late pipe. RustiePyles CPG can probably give the definitive answer and reasoning.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
RustiePyles CPG know a lot about this topic. He may have an informed view. With Standard BELOW Kaywoodie, no clover on the shank, the 2-digit no., and the very nomenclature “standard” itself, I thought is was for sure a later pipe. Although, the only weird point is the 4-hole stinger which I didn’t think they made in 1958. But I assumed this was a late pipe. RustiePyles CPG can probably give the definitive answer and reasoning.

The "standard" was a KB&B line from the before the Kaywoodie days that carried over, they were not made in great numbers until after the war but they were made. The transition back to 2 digit pipes started in 1936 and continued until sometime during the war. But 4 hole pipes were not produced after the war at all. So a 2 digit 4 hole pipe could not have been produced any later than 1945. The assumption that certain shapes were only made at certain times is based on their appearance in certain catalogs, but there are a lot of gaps in this. It is a known fact that just because certain shapes do not appear in the few catalogs we have does not mean they were not produced, it just means they were not printed those catalogs. There are a lot of holes in what we know about dating KW's. But one thing is inescapable, 4 hole stingers were not produced in the 50's, so no this pipe is not from the 50's or 60's. It is from between 1936 and 1946, but wartime production was a hodge podge of push bits. mission briar, and weird stampings. So statistically speaking, this pipe is likely from 1936-1941.

Here's a "Standard" from the 20's from my collection, its a zero digit... KBBStandard.jpgkbbstandard2.jpg