PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I picked up this four-drawer "Batchelors Chest" this weekend. It will be refinished in mahogany satin and I'm sourcing drawer liner material. It will become my new pipe cabinet, to replace my current oak bow-front cabinet. It will hold about 55 pipes, which is perfect.

20230910_151816.jpgWe're downsizing soon and I need a solution that has a smaller foot print and can be more easily moved. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I picked up this four-drawer "Batchelors Chest" this weekend. It will be refinished in mahogany satin and I'm sourcing drawer liner material. It will become my new pipe cabinet, to replace my current oak bow-front cabinet. It will hold about 55 pipes, which is perfect.

View attachment 246492We're downsizing soon and I need a solution that has a smaller foot print and can be more easily moved. Stay tuned.

Al, please post the outcome. I like where this is going... Empty-nesters here and not a ton of space. I have posted my converted suitcase previously, but I have added a number of very old, odd shaped and somewhat fragile pipes (amber stems, etc.) to my collection which will not fit into the suitcase ;)

Reactions: ssjones

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
I commissioned a sixteen pipe rack by JIEZAWOODstudio in China. I had to wait a little bit because he needed to photograph it for his Etsy shop (my rack is the one used for his photos of the sixteen pipe rack with tin storage below) and am very happy with it. Its width better accommodates my wider pipes than my twenty-four or thirty-six Decatur racks, which are narrow (they’re from a different era when pipes tended to be smaller). My biggest complaint about the Decatur racks is that any lower rows that have holes for stems can mostly only fit straight pipes. These options can cost hundreds, but, bargains can be found.

These days, I’ve switched to just getting ProSource 18 sunglasses boxes, which can be used to display or close up and pack pipes. The limitation is the size of the compartment when it comes to the the length and width of the pipe. For medium and small pipes, they’re great. Amazon has these for twenty bucks a pop.

View attachment 191763

View attachment 191764

View attachment 191766
That’s a great system.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’m kind of reckless and old school. An Ox Cart table:
IMG_0013.jpeg
European Arts & Crafts wall racks and American Arts & Crafts (Mission) pipe stand:
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg
A turn of last century English pipe cabinet (for my Falcons which I haven’t gotten up on the wall yet):
IMG_0016.jpeg
A picture for context (sorry, the apartment is a little messy):
IMG_0019.jpeg
And, of course, the artwork:
IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_0018.jpeg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
View attachment 247163
European Arts & Crafts wall racks and American Arts & Crafts (Mission) pipe stand:
View attachment 247164
View attachment 247166
A turn of last century English pipe cabinet (for my Falcons which I haven’t gotten up on the wall yet):
View attachment 247167
View attachment 247168
View attachment 247170
View attachment 247171

This does not look messy to me. Nicely done. Those pipes look on the magnum side.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
This does not look messy to me. Nicely done. Those pipes look on the magnum side.
Thank you very much. I would say none of my pipes would be considered magnum size. Group 6 at best (chamber-wise). Now the heaviest pipe I have is almost 5 oz. It’s on the left side of the ox cart table and easy to spot. Definitely not a clencher. Thanks again.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
View attachment 247163
View attachment 247164
View attachment 247166
View attachment 247167
View attachment 247168
View attachment 247170
View attachment 247171
What a wonderful space. I can imagine how calming it would be to sit there.