Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
I have upgraded my setup!
I was looking to get something more appropriate to the collection I was gathering, and when I was unable to purchase a model I liked, a friend inspiringly asked, "Well, why don't you make it yourself?"

PXL_20230523_215234542.jpg
PXL_20230523_215052408.jpg

This is the first "real" woodworking project that I've had in years. Figured that this would be a good warmup before I venture into (attempt) making an actual pipe. I certainly needed the refresher on several things. I live in a small condo downtown, so not much space for power tools (and even less so for the sawdust and the rest of the mess) so I was really glad to be reminded about the TTL makerspace that's close to me.

PXL_20230429_015925292.jpg
PXL_20230507_212950858.jpg
PXL_20230510_002756691.jpg

I had a basic idea of what I wanted. I got inspired by a rack made by KAFpipeWorkshop (credit where it's due) where the pipes are on display slightly sideways. I thought that was much more appealing than the traditional approach, as it showcased the features of each pipe a whole lot better. If pipes are displayed sideways when they're being sold, why not do the same for your own collection?
I did take that one step further and decided to work with live edge wood. I feel it adds way more character. And in a way I let the slab of wood available to me speak to me. It more or less determined what I could do with it in terms of shape and form.

PXL_20230523_215116470.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_212950858.jpg
    PXL_20230507_212950858.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230523_215052408.jpg
    PXL_20230523_215052408.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 1

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I was looking to get something more appropriate to the collection I was gathering, and when I was unable to purchase a model I liked, a friend inspiringly asked, "Well, why don't you make it yourself?"

View attachment 223711
View attachment 223713

This is the first "real" woodworking project that I've had in years. Figured that this would be a good warmup before I venture into (attempt) making an actual pipe. I certainly needed the refresher on several things. I live in a small condo downtown, so not much space for power tools (and even less so for the sawdust and the rest of the mess) so I was really glad to be reminded about the TTL makerspace that's close to me.

View attachment 223714
View attachment 223717
View attachment 223716

I had a basic idea of what I wanted. I got inspired by a rack made by KAFpipeWorkshop (credit where it's due) where the pipes are on display slightly sideways. I thought that was much more appealing than the traditional approach, as it showcased the features of each pipe a whole lot better. If pipes are displayed sideways when they're being sold, why not do the same for your own collection?
I did take that one step further and decided to work with live edge wood. I feel it adds way more character. And in a way I let the slab of wood available to me speak to me. It more or less determined what I could do with it in terms of shape and form.

View attachment 223718
I love this rack! You have skills I wish I had. Well done.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN

View attachment 223711
View attachment 223713

View attachment 223714
View attachment 223717
View attachment 223716

View attachment 223718
Fantastic job!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin

View attachment 223711
View attachment 223713

View attachment 223714
View attachment 223717
View attachment 223716

View attachment 223718

WOW!! 😃

Reactions: Templekeeper

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

View attachment 223711
View attachment 223713

View attachment 223714
View attachment 223717
View attachment 223716

View attachment 223718
Seeing all your churchwardens I thought, "Why did this guy choose the username 'Templekeeper'? He should've really gone with something like churchwa... Oh." 🤦‍♂️

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I commissioned a sixteen pipe rack by JIEZAWOODstudio in China. I had to wait a little bit because he needed to photograph it for his Etsy shop (my rack is the one used for his photos of the sixteen pipe rack with tin storage below) and am very happy with it. Its width better accommodates my wider pipes than my twenty-four or thirty-six Decatur racks, which are narrow (they’re from a different era when pipes tended to be smaller). My biggest complaint about the Decatur racks is that any lower rows that have holes for stems can mostly only fit straight pipes. These options can cost hundreds, but, bargains can be found.

These days, I’ve switched to just getting ProSource 18 sunglasses boxes, which can be used to display or close up and pack pipes. The limitation is the size of the compartment when it comes to the the length and width of the pipe. For medium and small pipes, they’re great. Amazon has these for twenty bucks a pop.

View attachment 191763

View attachment 191764

View attachment 191766
I tried one of these 18 slot sunglasses cases but I had too many pipes that didn’t fit well in it. I wish they had ones with bigger slots as they work great and are really affordable.