Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yah, the pipes are cool, but, a full size Galaxian, and Ralphie’s dad’s lamp, truly outstanding!
You noticed. ;) Inside the cabinet is an actual Dell computer that has over 5000+ MAME arcade games ranging from late 70's to early 2000's. Pretty much any arcade game you can think of is on this cabinet. It's like an entire arcade in one cabinet. It's pretty awesome!

One of these days I'll have a full-size Leg Lamp. That's the goal anyway.

The racks that have the stem-side down kinda gross me out a little.
I'm not sure what you are doing with your pipes :oops: but I never have a moisture issue to the point of dripping wet, if that is what your are referring to. Also, I do not drool down the stem. A little dampness in the bowl is all and at 7000 feet that dries up quite quickly. And as @Piping Abe says a quick pass with a cleaner would solve sloppiness if one is a "sloppy smoker" ;).

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'm not sure what you are doing with your pipes :oops: but I never have a moisture issue to the point of dripping wet, if that is what your are referring to. Also, I do not drool down the stem. A little dampness in the bowl is all and at 7000 feet that dries up quite quickly. And as @Piping Abe says a quick pass with a cleaner would solve sloppiness if one is a "sloppy smoker" ;).
I almost exclusively smoke dry burley blends so moisture isn’t an issue for me either. I just prefer the bowl to be gravity side-down. But I know those kinds of racks are really popular in Europe so they definitely work.

Reactions: Piping Abe

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Last time I checked those were long gone / not sold anymore but that was like a year ago so they might be back,
The last time I checked on the soda crates, you had to order them from Michael's online. They had them, just not stocked in the stores. The jars I use in the soda crate are the 8 and 12 ounce "Jelly" Jars. The 12 ounce are just a little taller than the 8 ounce, but fit perfectly in the crate.

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
I keep my pipes in a wooden wine box. I like to keep them in a closed dark place, fist because I don't care much for cold pipe smell ... and second because, in my experience, vulcanite does not turn green/yellow if kept away from light.

P3010584.JPG

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I keep my pipes in a wooden wine box. I like to keep them in a closed dark place, fist because I don't care much for cold pipe smell ... and second because, in my experience, vulcanite does not turn green/yellow if kept away from light.

View attachment 206240
A suggestion: when I've finished smoking my vulcanite pipes, when they're cold, I take the stems off and give them a coating of mineral oil for a few hours or overnight. I buff them afterwards, put them back on the pipes and then put them away in their bags - to keep them out of the light. The oil coating has kept the oxidation away for me.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A suggestion: when I've finished smoking my vulcanite pipes, when they're cold, I take the stems off and give them a coating of mineral oil for a few hours or overnight. I buff them afterwards, put them back on the pipes and then put them away in their bags - to keep them out of the light. The oil coating has kept the oxidation away for me.
Each to his own, but if it were me I would take a little oxidation before the taste of mineral oil... but that's just me. puffy

Reactions: sparker69

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I saw a pic here recently of a coffee mug full of inverted pipes and thought (!) Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Sure, I've got all sorts of rackage and stored pipes but I tend to smoke about 10 at a time. I've got dozens on racks but I keep the current workers on a shelf by the door. I just counted and I've got 11 pipes there right now and two of 'em are just laying on the shelf. 7 are in a mug and 2 in a 2 pipe Decatur wooden rest.

Reactions: Browny and yanoJL