Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No I never tried VaPer blends

Oh no! You have another World of great tabac to try! :col:

I use to really love English and Aromatics, until I discovered VaPers, but like so many people, depending on our mood, I certainly smoke these and other blends as well.

But for now I’m on the VaPer Trail!

Here’s an article SPC did on Perique.

Perique can be spicy for palette and nose, so depending on your sensitivity, if any, you might want it light.

If others see this, I’m sure they’ll be here with their favorites to share, in the meantime here are a few.

Some of these are Seasonal, Limited, or hard to come by, but if anything catches your eye, and it’s not around, there’s always hope of possibly being able to get some here on the Forum Sale/Trade section.

Sutliff - Cringle Flake (Seasonal)

Watch City - Rouxgaroux (Seasonal)

Ken Byron Ventures aka KBV - Verge Engine Overdrive (Limited)

The Country Squire - 50th Anniversary

I just bought one tin of The Country Squire - 50th Anniversary, this is really nice, and a lighter introduction into VaPer, and @jiminks gave it a really nice review.

He’s the resident Tongue Expert around here. :)

The Country Squire Website

My Review

Last edited:

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oh no! You have another World of great tabac to try! :col:

I use to really love English and Aromatics, until I discovered VaPers, but like so many people, depending on our mood, I certainly smoke these and other blends as well.

But for now I’m on the VaPer Trail!

Here’s an article SPC did on Perique.

Perique can be spicy for palette and nose, so depending on your sensitivity, if any, you might want it light.

If others see this, I’m sure they’ll be here with their favorites to share, in the meantime here are a few.

Some of these are Seasonal, Limited, or hard to come by, but if anything catches your eye, and it’s not around, there’s always hope of possibly being able to get some here on the Forum Sale/Trade section.

Sutliff - Cringle Flake (Seasonal)

Watch City - Rouxgaroux (Seasonal)

Ken Byron Ventures aka KBV - Verge Engine Overdrive (Limited)

The Country Squire - 50th Anniversary

I just bought one tin of The Country Squire - 50th Anniversary, this is really nice, and a lighter introduction into VaPer, and @jiminks gave it a really nice review.

He’s the resident Tongue Expert around here. :)

The Country Squire Website

My Review

Wow this is great! I will try it thank you for all the info!

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Wow this is great! I will try it thank you for all the info!
By the way, the smell of a strong Perique blend, can really be off putting to some, like vinegar, so don’t let the smell fool you.

I was like YUCK, when I opened my first tin of Cringle Flake, it had an intense smell of vinegar.

But, I’ve learned to vary the way I smell test, sometimes just a little sniff, sometimes a big sniff, laying the tobacco out, then holding some in my hands.

If you play around like this, if you haven’t, in time you will learn to hunt for all the aromas in tobacco, like a Wine Taster. ;)

Personally for me, taking very small easy sniffs over and over, taking a rest, then repeating, you’ll be amazed at what you get, sometimes, you just have to Hunt Sniff a while... LOL ? ?

P.S. @Cigar Ash Queen I was just editing the post, be sure to look again....

Last edited:

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
By the way, the smell of a strong Perique blend, can really be off putting to some, like vinegar, so don’t let the smell fool you.

I was like YUCK, when I opened my first tin of Cringle Flake, it had an intense smell of vinegar.

But, I’ve learned to vary the way I smell test, sometimes just a little sniff, sometimes a big sniff, laying the tobacco out, then hold some in my hands.

If you play around like this, if you haven’t, in time you will learn to hunt for all them aromas in tobacco, like a Wine Taster. ;)
Yes I'm a cigar smoker too I understand about the aromas and tasting different notes, I also do retrohale and taste even more.. I will try this perique thank you for all these great suggestions!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

I was like YUCK, when I opened my first tin of Cringle Flake, it had an intense smell of vinegar
The vinegar isn't Perique, it's the Red Virginias. Perique is sometimes bread, sometimes plum, and sometimes stewed fruit.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sure does sound delicious! But please tell me when I go to the tobacco shop, I ask for perique and mention all the suggestions above? I don't really buy online so if I say the info from here they will know what I mean yes?

Reactions: anotherbob

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The vinegar isn't Perique, it's the Red Virginias. Perique is sometimes bread, sometimes plum, and sometimes stewed fruit.
Every thing I’ve always read, states that one of the aromas of Perique is vinegar like.

Jeremy Reeves also says in the SPC article I mentioned;

———
In terms of Perique's flavor profile by itself, Jeremy provides a detailed description of what he observes. "It's all at once sweet with notes of cherry and chocolate as well as deep, earthy flavors," says Reeves. "There are also hints of soy sauce, mushroom, and light vinegar notes all rolled into one, creating a unique and savory aroma and flavor."
———

This article below says; ‘Prized for its pungent notes of fermented fruit and vinegar’

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sure does sound delicious! But please tell me when I go to the tobacco shop, I ask for perique and mention all the suggestions above? I don't really buy online so if I say the info from here they will know what I mean yes?
Many would likely have Elizabethan on hand but any knowledgable tobacconist should have you covered.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Every thing I’ve always read, states that one of the aromas of Perique is vinegar like.

Jeremy Reeves also says in the SPC article I mentioned;

———
In terms of Perique's flavor profile by itself, Jeremy provides a detailed description of what he observes. "It's all at once sweet with notes of cherry and chocolate as well as deep, earthy flavors," says Reeves. "There are also hints of soy sauce, mushroom, and light vinegar notes all rolled into one, creating a unique and savory aroma and flavor."
———
I've never smelled it from Perique, and the blend you mentioned doesn't have enough Perique in it to overpower the scent of Red Virginias.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I've never smelled it from Perique, and the blend you mentioned doesn't have enough Perique in it to overpower the scent of Red Virginias.

I mentioned 4 blends, not sure the one you are referring to, anyhow it’s all good.

Jeremy Reeves says the Profile of Perique has Vinegar.

P.S. But to not to get the Welcome post any bigger, but while we are on the subject, cause the few Red Virginias I smoked, they were bread, grass, citrus, raisin/plum/fig citrus sweet, no vinegar. @jiminks if you could be so kind to chime in, I want to learn, before I forget this conversation and move on Thanks.

VaPers - Perique = Vinegar?
VaPers - Red Virginia = Vinegar?

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I mentioned 4 blends, not sure the one you are referring to, anyhow it’s all good.

Actually all of them. None of them have enough Perique to overpower the other components. As for Jeremy, by itself, the process used to give Perique its flavor does yield a slight vinegar scent but not what you are describing. That's the reds.

20201126_173555.jpg

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P.S. But to not to get the Welcome post any bigger, but while we are on the subject, cause the few Red Virginias I smoked, they were bread, grass, citrus, raisin/plum/fig citrus sweet, no vinegar. @jiminks if you could be so kind to chime in, I want to learn, before I forget this conversation and move on Thanks.
I'm learning too this is all very helpful and I appreciate all the help and suggestions. You are all so knowledgeable ??

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Actually all of them. None of them have enough Perique to overpower the other components. As for Jeremy, by itself, the process used to give Perique its flavor does yield a slight vinegar scent but not what you are describing. That's the reds.

View attachment 58806

I’m lost... ?

What do you think I am describing? Hmm ?

If the process used to give Perique its flavor does yield a slight vinegar scent, then what are we talking about?

Because this is what I’m saying, that in Perique, you can smell vinegar. I should of also said; to some extent or another, as the strength of the vinegar aroma also varies on blends, some light, some pungent.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.